IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 12: Crackpots

Ze_ro

Important Note - This week's competition is over. If you still wish to discuss Crackpots and compare scores, feel free to do so in this thread... but no further scores will be accepted for points.

We're infested! A bug barrage is swarming out of the sewer, chomping away at every building in town. Entire neighborhoods are now crumb piles! Over in Brooklyn, Potsy, the rooftop gardener, is defeating his beloved building with his only weapon - potted petunias. Be a good neighbor. Help him take potshots at the insect invaders... Quick! When too many bugs crawl into the windows, they'll start eating you out of house and home!

Game Information

• Game Name: Crackpots
  • Released By: Activision, 1983
  • Left Difficulty: No Effect
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect
  • Game Mode: Default
  • Chosen By: scogey

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, July 20th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 580,840 (keilbaca) [+11]
  2. 224,180 (Rom Hunter) [+10]
  3. 148,810 (the 5th ghost) [+9]
  4. 91,820 (Deteacher) [+8]
  5. 80,570 (SpiceWare) [+7]
  6. 73,740 (scogey) [+6]
  7. 71,170 (ResOGlas) [+5]
  8. 51,660 (LarcenTyler) [+4]
  9. 36,890 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
  10. 29,490 (Goochman) [+2]

Best Tips

• None!

Bounties and Challenges

• Official Activision Crackpot - Score 75,000 points or higher and get 1 bonus point.
    • keilbaca, Rom Hunter, the 5th ghost, Deteacher, SpiceWare [+1]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 1,000,000 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 520,600 (David B Yancey)
  3. 312,210 (Christian L Keilback)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [118]
  2. keilbaca [92]
  3. SpiceWare [82]
  4. vdub_bobby [62]
  5. shawnb [61]
  6. LarcenTyler [45]
  7. BrianC [44]
  8. 128bytes [34]
  9. scogey [29]
  10. Jred [26]
  11. the 5th ghost [24]
  12. Lord Helmet [19]
  13. Cybergoth [18]
  • phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • doctorclu [14]
  • Goochman [11]
  • Malc74 [7]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • ResOGlas [6]
  • supercat [5]
  • Christophero Sly [4]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
Scoring Points in Crackpots
  • Black Bugs (Level 1) - 10 points
  • Blue Bugs (Level 1) - 20 points
  • Red Bugs (Level 1) - 30 points
  • Green Bugs (Level 1) - 40 points
  • For each level after level 1, the points are multiplied by the level number... so on the 5th level, Red Bugs are worth 150 points each.
  • 200 points are awarded for each bug print remaining at the end of every wave.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a scanned copy and a typed copy of it available online. Here are the hints the manual provides:

- Play the sidewalk - that is, try to hit the bugs while they're crawling along the sidewalk or when they're just coming out of the sewer. The closer they get to the windows, the less time you'll have to react.

- When you're up in the higher levels, the bugs will crawl too fast for you to get them all. You're better off playing, say, three selected windows in the middle. It's OK if a few crawlers get in on the extreme right or left. You only have to get seven out of twelve bugs to go to the next level.

- Notice that the red bugs end up 2 windows away from where they began their diagonal climb. And, while the building is still pretty high, the green bugs will end up at the window over the spot they started from below. Keep this in mind and you'll soon be dropping the right pot at the right time.

No one posted any tips for this game this week... however, we played Crackpots previously in the High Score Club, so you might want to check out that thread for some hints

--Ze_ro

Yes I know...of all the activision games....I pick this one. But hey, although simple in premise, this one is all about execution at the higher levels. Plus the guy looks like a young Paul McCartney....and he is on a roof top...which reminds me of the Beatles breaking up. (which motivates me to throw pots and hurt things). I need a vacation. :D

Yes I know...of all the activision games....I pick this one. But hey, although simple in premise, this one is all about execution at the higher levels. Plus the guy looks like a young Paul McCartney....and he is on a roof top...which reminds me of the Beatles breaking up. (which motivates me to throw pots and hurt things). I need a vacation. :D

Hey, no complaints here. I'm just glad to see some of the games being replayed.

Hats off, Keilbaca.

Amazing score.

8)

To be honest I was surprised I lasted that long, being concentrated on the screen for that long, you start to get dillusional... I hit the 520k mark where I finally messed up, then slowed down to that score. I really want to try to max it out, hopefully I'll have enough time to do it.

Hats off, Keilbaca.

Amazing score.

8)

To be honest I was surprised I lasted that long, being concentrated on the screen for that long, you start to get dillusional... I hit the 520k mark where I finally messed up, then slowed down to that score. I really want to try to max it out, hopefully I'll have enough time to do it.

Yeah, 520K, you were excited to have taken down my score. :-o :-o Whew, it is difficult to maintain peak concentration for that long. Great score. Almost makes me want to take this one out of mothballs. ;)

61780...and Imgonna give it one more go tonight.

This is one of the games I would most like to see a pause feature....about 3-4 seconds down time between levels, I find myself not blinking enough during gameplay...also, if I make a mistake early in a particular round, I seem to freeze for a millisecond and it costs me the next few bugs.

Awsome score KB...so this rolls at 1 million?(not that I'd get there)