IGNORED

Received my Heavy Sixer ! + Possible video incompat?

markheus

Hey everyone. I finally got my new atari in the mail today. I figured I'd go for broke the first time and get a heavy sixer - must be those curves - so enticing lol.

Anyway, I've gottta go to Cedar Rapids, IA for a few weeks for work so I've only had a few days to play with it. I wanted to test it out right away though, in case there were any problems. That way I could let the seller know. So I took a few screen shots and thought I'd solicit the expert opinion of the group.

Right now I'm running it with the co/ax adaptor through a VCR. I can't run it straight to my TV for comparision because the barrel connector on the back of the TV broke off years ago. I'd like to try it on a different TV but, crazy as it sounds, its the only one I have in the house. I know its probably sacrilege here, but I'll probably do the av mod on this unit eventually...

I apologize in advance for the blurriness of some of the pictures. I took them in kind of a hurry (I've gotta leave tomorrow morning) The artifacts in the pictures are a result of my poor photo taking skills as well.

Its been years since I've played an Atari so a couple quick questions first off, mainly - should I expect it to fill the screen on my TV - there's a significant black border on either side of the main video. Also - on some of the games, notably asteroids - that border devitates... You can actually see it in the photo - where the edge is uneven.

In Space Invaders there are a series of lines on the left side of the screen....

However - the edge of the screen is fine - it doesn't go all the way to the side but it is even.

post-9927-1153108412_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1153108426_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1153108441_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1153108462_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1153108475_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1153108487_thumb.jpg

should I expect it to fill the screen on my TV - there's a significant black border on either side of the main video. Also - on some of the games, notably asteroids - that border devitates... You can actually see it in the photo - where the edge is uneven.

In Space Invaders there are a series of lines on the left side of the screen....

However - the edge of the screen is fine - it doesn't go all the way to the side but it is even.

All normal.

Ok - So someone needs to edit the post to show that is Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine aaalllllllllllllll mine !!!!!!!!11

Wow - it never ceases to amaze me how much corn there is in Iowa

Seriously - the left edge of the screen on Asteroids is normal?

Ok - So someone needs to edit the post to show that is Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine aaalllllllllllllll mine !!!!!!!!11

Yep, each system seems to have the lines in a different place....but they all have them. Welcome to the exciting world of Atari. ;)

Yep, each system seems to have the lines in a different place....but they all have them. Welcome to the exciting world of Atari. ;)

I was mistaken about each system having the scanlines in a different place. I was almost positive about this, but I just tested it out and it looks the same as yours on my heavy sixer. Sorry about the bad pic:

Sixer005.jpg

I was mistaken about each system having the scanlines in a different place. I was almost positive about this, but I just tested it out and it looks the same as yours on my heavy sixer. Sorry about the bad pic:

Sixer005.jpg

Take a glance at the above photo of "Asteroids," is that normal as well? They're not so much scan lines as variations in left edge of the screen. While playing the game one can see asteroids appear and dissapear at different distances from the edge of the screen. Or maybe is it a bad cart?

Also, in Sub Scan, the game is unresponsive and there are zeros at the top and bottom of the screen? I think I remember reading somewhere that some people had problems with sub scan on their "sixer"

Take a glance at the above photo of "Asteroids," is that normal as well? They're not so much scan lines as variations in left edge of the screen. While playing the game one can see asteroids appear and dissapear at different distances from the edge of the screen. Or maybe is it a bad cart?

Also, in Sub Scan, the game is unresponsive and there are zeros at the top and bottom of the screen? I think I remember reading somewhere that some people had problems with sub scan on their "sixer"

I tested asteroids and it also looks the same. I don't own Sub Scan myself.

The verdict: Your heavy sixer is just fine. Have fun! :)

I tested asteroids and it also looks the same. I don't own Sub Scan myself.

The verdict: Your heavy sixer is just fine. Have fun! :)

I guess we've gotten spoiled with our Xbox's and such... Thanks again!