IGNORED

Atari ROM Dumpers

Segataricollector1991

Ebay is a good source, except steer clear of the willlem units- cheap, but very unreliable. If you do get a willem unit, make sure it is the "dual power" and not the "enhanced" (or other USB powered) version because the 27XX eproms require higher programming voltages.

You'll need an eprom eraser as well.

Edited by yorgle

Why do you need a dumper? Every non-proto cart has already been dumped.

And if you're going to go look on ebay, don't waste your time on a crappy Willem. Look for a BP Microsystems EP-1132, EP-1140, or CP-1128, and if you're patient you can get one for $50 or so, which is about what a Willem will cost you new, only they cost a grand or so back in the day. The front-end app works fine on W2K/XP, all you need is a real (motherboard, not PCI card) parallel LPT port, and they'll handle any EPROM that fits in the socket. The CP-1128 will also do PAL and GAL chips if you need that too.

The Needham EMP-10/20 are pretty good programmers too, but cost more, are a little more limited with just the first three personality modules, and the front-end doesn't work so well on 2K/XP. I normally use an EMP-20 and a CP-1128 with a parallel switch to select one or the other.

Oh yeah, and you're going to need a UV eraser too. You can get cheap ones that only do one or two chips and are a pain to use, or you can spend $100 or so and get an Ango LA6T which can do 8 or 9 chips and has a built-in timer.

Edited by Bruce Tomlin

• 4 weeks later...

I want one so that I can write hacks onto blank ROM chips. I want my understanding that EPROM readers could copy to a floppy and copy to a ROM chip. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

A. There is no such thing as writeable ROM's (Read Only Memory).

B. Dumpers only read data.

My conclusion is that you just have some of the terminology screwed up, what you want is a few PCB's from the AtariAge store, some EPROM's and a EPROM programmer (which can also read data).