IGNORED

Sam Tramiel interview - Next Generation 1995

kevincal

I went to Jaguar Interactive ll for the first time in a long time and they were talking about this interview. So, I thought I'd use my scanner since it's my first scanner and I'm having fun with it. ;)

I had that magazine! I had a ton of them from back in the day! And I threw them away! WTF WAS I THINKING!!! I am sooo pissed off at myself for that now.

I also wish I'd kept all my old love letters too. Crap, my dad was right.

Just one day I took the pile and figured I should get rid of 'em. Had 'em long enough after a few years. And I just dumpsterd 'em.

GOD I'M SO STUPID, I COULD JUST KICK MYSELF IN THE NUTS!

Keep the love letters too Kev. ;)

Edited by JagChris

Too late, I threw them out...lol I threw away a lot of old Nintendo Powers back in the day and recently bought them back on Ebay...heh. I'm a sucker for video game magazines... I've got hundreds maybe even close to 1,000!!!

Edited by kevincal

Nice read, thanks very much.

SOOO ANNNOYING and tired of these stupid comments though: Is the Jaguar really 64 bit. Is the Jaguar more powerful than Saturn and PSX. I mean a magazine like NG should know better, but yeah being an off-spring from Edge, I think not.....

The SNES was never 16 bit, did they go on and on about it in magazines? No they didn't.

I think I vaguely remember reading this back in the day. Don't remember though that Sega ended up owning 7% of Atari, very interesting - maybe they should have taken the Jaguar 2 when Atari folded. The games bit was interesting too I wonder if any cross platform games were started what do you think they would have been at that time? Virtua Fighter, Sonic, Daytona, Virtua Racing & Puyo Puyo would have been good bets.

Shame Sam never got to carry on fighting he would have been better than dinosaur Jack.

The SNES was never 16 bit, did they go on and on about it in magazines? No they didn't.

Magazines always seemed to treat the Jaguar different than SNES and Genesis.

I have an EGM somewhere where they declare that the Jaguar isn't 64-bit because "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link and the Jaguar isn't 100% 64-bit in every way". Yet in the same issue, they talk repeatedly about the 16-bit Genesis (which includes at 8-bit Z80 processor) and never question its "bitness".

Very nice read, many thanks for posting!

I had never heard of Sam Tramiel before, so I googled a little bit and came across this link, called "The 25 dumbest moments in gaming", where they sadly make fun of this interview.

Click here for this article

But after the preliminaries things start getting hairy, with Tramiel spouting preposterous statements with little basis in reality. "If Sony comes in at $249 or $299, we'll do whatever we can to have the ITC -- that's the International Trade Commission of the United States -- to go after them. That's called dumping." Sony did, but Atari did no such thing. Tramiel was asked what a fair price for the PlayStation would be. "$500." How many Jag owners would buy the forthcoming CD add-on? "Right now we're expecting that 50% of Jaguar owners will buy CD players. And, if it's a higher percentage then, well, great." We'd be surprised if it hit 10%.
Edited by vvdleun

If you go back to the interviews of the day you will find that Atari could produce 5 games a year for Sega and they would distribute then Sega would make 5 titles that were at least 1 year old and had previously been released on a home system...The Good news 5 games a year the bad news old games...If it would of happened I would figure (VR Racing, After Burner, Space Harrier, Hang On, Out Run) as the 1st 5

If Atari could of made the deal work and just got Sega to make 5 Sports games a year then they would of had a good deal.

The problem was I believe atari got like 70 Million from Sega out of the deal so Sam took 1/2 of it just to keep Atari afloat another month then took the rest and ran.

Even if they could of got Sega to make the games I guarantee the games would of been piss poor adaption and Sega would of stated to all the Magazines that theses adaptions (which would be exact Genesis clones) would have controll isssues and such because the Jaguar can not handle anything above 16 bit games and everbody needs to buy a Saturn.

Actualy surprised they didn't do the above and make the games CD's to keep cost down...guess it is still alot of money to throw in the wind when you just handed over 70 Million to a company that was going under.

I had that magazine! I had a ton of them from back in the day! And I threw them away! WTF WAS I THINKING!!! I am sooo pissed off at myself for that now.

Same here. I had that issue also. Thing I remember about it was that everybody thought it was ridiculous even at that time. I remember reading it and being like "man, what a freakin' moron. Sell your Atari stock!"

Glad everyone enjoyed it. Something I noticed is that when Sam was talking about the Sega-Atari deal he mentioned two games. He said that Atari could publish...Tempest 2000 on the Saturn, which ended up happening, and also he said the Jag could have Virtua Fighter, which Fight for Life was similar to and the producer from Virtua Figher did Fight for Life on the Jag.

Edited by kevincal

Excelent read thank you!! That article left me with one big lingering question though, where the hell is Jag MK3? Is there a proto, any info. ect? I would love to see even a proof of concept version.

T2KFreeker played MK3 for the Jag at a CES or somethin' or other.

Same here. I had that issue also. Thing I remember about it was that everybody thought it was ridiculous even at that time. I remember reading it and being like "man, what a freakin' moron. Sell your Atari stock!"

I don't think it was AS BAD as everyone is making it out to be. What was the guy suppose to say?

'Ah gee, the Jag sucks. We got nothing good happening for the Jag. Nothing to look forward to. Go buy a Saturn.'

Is that what he was suppose to say? What would you say if you were in his shoes?

Excelent read thank you!! That article left me with one big lingering question though, where the hell is Jag MK3? Is there a proto, any info. ect? I would love to see even a proof of concept version.

T2KFreeker played MK3 for the Jag at a CES or somethin' or other.

Ya, that must have been where I heard it.

Well the best info is the fact that he said that there were 150,000 jaguars sold to that point. My guess is there are probably 200,000 jaguars in total. Which would make this a pretty rare machine.

Yep, but it would be nice to know the exact number. You are probably close though.

I went to Jaguar Interactive ll for the first time in a long time and they were talking about this interview. So, I thought I'd use my scanner since it's my first scanner and I'm having fun with it. ;)

I made a neat single PDF out of the scans. Anyone here who would like to get a copy emailed, PM me with his email address and I will be happy to send the PDF to you. The file size is approximately 2.5 megs.