IGNORED

The Box Bug

Crazy Climber

I'm finally almost there, a complete 2600 collection! With the exception of the four digit price tag games and a couple others, but overall I'm a lot closer than before I joined this site. Anyways I was finishing off a plate of nachos admiring them on the shelfs and I am starting to regret not going after the boxes as well. I never wanted them due to the amount of space involved and the fact that some are so incredibly rare (not to mention the high price of some) but now I can't stop the urge to go after boxed games. Theres always extra space somewhere right? Well I've rambled long enough so I guess what I'm getting at is did any of you guys do this also. Since I'm so far already it will kind of suck to pretty much collect them all over again but then again it would be kind of fun as well. What about you guys, anyone else have this happen to them and how did you go about it. Thanks

At the very beginning, almost 6 years ago, all I wanted was a complete Atari 2600 system and the 10 games I loved the most as a kid, but soon after I started to see games I never knew existed and accessories for the 2600 that I wanted as a kid, but my parents never bought me, but now I have them all boxed and I'm still going.

:ponder: :D :D

I've just started collecting so I'm not speaking from experience - most people here know much more than I, but I'm trying to approach things methodically.

Usually I'll go for just the carts and instructions - I don't mind paying a bit more because, to me, they offer a lot of added value.

If I can find a CIB version, I'll grab it if its not significantly more. Its not a necessity though, I won't hold off on buying a cart just because I can't find a boxed version at a reasonable price. Storage isn't so much as an issue - as I'm just displaying the carts right now - I've put the boxes in a ... box hehe. One of these days when I've got lots of room I'll take them out - but its nice to know that they're there.

Of course, once I start searching for some more rare carts - I'll probably have to be less picky.

Another collector bitten by the box bug. Marvel as the space in your house slowly disappears ;)

I started out just wanting to play, so I bought a handful of loose games and a system in college. Then I found o'sheas site, back when they had all their games brand new at 80 cents a piece. At that point I still didn't exclusively buy boxed as there were lots of games I still just wanted to play.

That all changed once I got my cuttle cart (the original one). Now it was no longer a matter of needing the cart to play and it became a whole lot less important to me to buy any loose carts.

400+ boxed games later, I only buy boxed games. I'm in a phase of my collection now where for most of the games I still need, the box art is more interesting that the game itself :)

Edited by Galaga_Freak

Well - Something else that might be a consideration in your collection of boxes - the GAF (girlfriend acceptance factor)

My girlfriend and I were *discussing* where everything is going to be displayed. We have this awesome cabinet that everything would fit perfectly on, so I mentioned that to her. Of course - there's the small issue of all her trinkets that's she's got on it. I subtly suggested that they might look nice on a shelf in the kitchen. Of course, she wasn't particularly pleased with this suggestion......

So, while I'm gone - she went to her ex-in-law's house and picked up an old 80's woodgrain TV and put it and everything else in the basement. On the phone she said it was really "retro, and that was what I was trying to achieve right?" Me things she wants the living room and flat screen for herself!

Well - Something else that might be a consideration in your collection of boxes - the GAF (girlfriend acceptance factor)

:lol: That is often a huge issue.

One of my friends couldn't even take (for free!) the excellent Sony commercial monitor I had to get rid of because I wanted the space back. His wife wouldn't even let him bring it in the house.

Me, I'm lucky enough to be on the other end of that scale. My friends never forget the first time I brought home an arcade cabinet, and she barely even blinked at it as I wheeled the beast through the house.

Or the last time I came home one weekend with a new car. :D

:lol: That is often a huge issue.

One of my friends couldn't even take (for free!) the excellent Sony commercial monitor I had to get rid of because I wanted the space back. His wife wouldn't even let him bring it in the house.

Me, I'm lucky enough to be on the other end of that scale. My friends never forget the first time I brought home an arcade cabinet, and she barely even blinked at it as I wheeled the beast through the house.

Or the last time I came home one weekend with a new car. :D

So that's the secret then !! Blind them with the shine from the new car while you secretly stash your stuff throughout the living room!.

Seriously though - I'm exagerrating for emphasis - I don't want it to seem as though she's a nag or anything. She's actually enjoying the Atari even though she moved it downstairs. I've tried to get her into a few XBox games and it never seemed to work. But she's enjoyed the Atari for the same reason I do - Its simplicity!

Back on Topic - I was quite surprised by the relative availability of games still in shrinkwrap or CIB - Its seems the majority can be had for for a decent price. I guess its cost/benefit, are all those cool boxes on the shelves worth hundreds of dollars?

My girlfriend and I were *discussing* where everything is going to be displayed. We have this awesome cabinet that everything would fit perfectly on, so I mentioned that to her. Of course - there's the small issue of all her trinkets that's she's got on it. I subtly suggested that they might look nice on a shelf in the kitchen. Of course, she wasn't particularly pleased with this suggestion......

So, while I'm gone - she went to her ex-in-law's house and picked up an old 80's woodgrain TV and put it and everything else in the basement. On the phone she said it was really "retro, and that was what I was trying to achieve right?" Me things she wants the living room and flat screen for herself!

This is so true. I mentioned to my girlfriend that I would like to collect some boxes as well and the first thing she said was "Oh no, your not collecting the boxes now too" It's alright though I have a nice area upstairs all cleared out for them so she can't complain. Now where do I begin....?

This is so true. I mentioned to my girlfriend that I would like to collect some boxes as well and the first thing she said was "Oh no, your not collecting the boxes now too" It's alright though I have a nice area upstairs all cleared out for them so she can't complain. Now where do I begin....?

Motorodeo of course...

I've collected both loose and boxed games.First I got the loose games,then got the 'bug' to get the boxed ones as well.So you might end up with two collections as it where,which is cool in a way,but expensive in other ways;money wise or GF/Wife wise.

Another collector bitten by the box bug. Marvel as the space in your house slowly disappears ;)

400+ boxed games later, I only buy boxed games. I'm in a phase of my collection now where for most of the games I still need, the box art is more interesting that the game itself :)

You must be talking about Panda games, talk about some lame labels but cool boxes.