IGNORED

Super Maria Sisters

atari2600land

There are a few graphic things that could make the game look better.(My opinion)

Give the poor guy some feet when he is standing on the ground.

Make the car level background black:

post-3832-1154907907_thumb.jpg

Heck. Make all of the backgrounds black except for the water level and the end boss.

Improve the car graphic. See pic above.

Make a better swimming graphic:

post-3832-1154907975_thumb.jpg

Make the rock bigger:

post-3832-1154908008_thumb.jpg

Give the End Boss an eyeball:

post-3832-1154908044_thumb.jpg

I don't know if the player is suppose to swim on this level so I made him stand to run around the Boss and grab the ruby.

You Win:

post-3832-1154908077_thumb.jpg

A simple beep when the player gets hit would add a lot. I am sure someone on here would help you with the sound.

Edited by neotokeo2001

First 8k build. Began work on level 2. Level 2 has an item, the first power-up in the game. To use power-ups, touch them and press fire simultaneously. The first power-up is a blue star. When you use one, you get really big. To get past the first situation, if you touch the enemy in level 2 screen 2, you become small, so you go left to go back to screen 1 of level 2 to get the power up again. You need to touch the little lines in the screens they appear in to get to the next screen.

supermariasisters8k081006.bin

Pretty good :) . I still think you should run through your code and improve a few things if you want this to be a COMERCIAL sucess. Here are a few ideas to get you started.

1. The title screen/level starting screens don't have to have vertical text. Just take player 1 and stick it next to player 2 and viola, you've got a 16 pixel sprite, plenty of room to get a simple message across.

2. You might want to update the mario (or in this case maria ;) ) sprite to make it look more, well, mario. In fact I think I know of a sprite that might work! In the batari basic forum they have (or at least had) a topic about a similar mario style game. It was called mATARIo, I think.

3. The score down at the bottom kind of gets distracting if you don't use it. Just make the score color the same as the background and you'll be good there.

4. I found a slight bug in your code. On level 2, when you reach the last screen (as of now) with the platform on the right side, if you die you re-appear on the first screen with the platform still there!

Fix those and THEN you will have a good game. ;)

First 8k build. Began work on level 2. Level 2 has an item, the first power-up in the game. To use power-ups, touch them and press fire simultaneously. The first power-up is a blue star. When you use one, you get really big. To get past the first situation, if you touch the enemy in level 2 screen 2, you become small, so you go left to go back to screen 1 of level 2 to get the power up again. You need to touch the little lines in the screens they appear in to get to the next screen.

Now your talkin'!! Off to a nice start!! Take it to the top!! This has the basis to be quite awesome!!

Would deleting the score graphics give you more room or does Batari Basic force you to keep them?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to delete the score entirely, you can only just change the color of the score to match the background. No sprite could appear there, because the score would still read zero, you just couldn't see it be zero.

I'm thinking about having the score be the screen number you're on, so on screen 1 the score would be 1, screen 2 the score would be 2, etc.

Would deleting the score graphics give you more room or does Batari Basic force you to keep them?

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a way to delete the score entirely, you can only just change the color of the score to match the background. No sprite could appear there, because the score would still read zero, you just couldn't see it be zero.

I'm thinking about having the score be the screen number you're on, so on screen 1 the score would be 1, screen 2 the score would be 2, etc.

You can customize the display kernel to remove the score if you want, but if you do, you'll want to keep a copy of the original kernel file so you don't lose it.

Michael Rideout

2. You might want to update the mario (or in this case maria ;) ) sprite to make it look more, well, mario. In fact I think I know of a sprite that might work! In the batari basic forum they have (or at least had) a topic about a similar mario style game. It was called mATARIo, I think.

3. The score down at the bottom kind of gets distracting if you don't use it. Just make the score color the same as the background and you'll be good there.

I changed the look of Maria sprite. Keep in mind that I can't draw very well.

post-9475-1155265677_thumb.png

and also, I changed the score to keep track of what screen you're on. I want to fix a few other things before I put up a new version, and then after that, I need to design some new levels.

Here's the second version of the first build with most of the bugs fixed. This has a code (for testing purposes only, will be left out of the final version), when the screen says 'level 1', press up and you'll go to level 2. Now I need to design a couple more levels.

supermariasisters8k081106.bas.bin

Here's the latest build. Unfortunately, I don't have enough free space to add another level, but I could change the title screen, 'level 1' screen, etc. If there should be changes, tell me what you'd change.

sms8k.bas.bin

Edited by atari2600land

Any chance of this making it in cartridge form to the AA store?

It will be for sale if enough people are interested, just not at the AA store.

It looks cool and I would be interested.

However I only buy homebrews from AA because I have had such a good experience with ordering from Al.

WP