IGNORED

New Activision and Intellivision plug+play units coming

Flojomojo

According to: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/intellivision...ming-189385.php

They're from :roll: TechnoSource, so it's probably not worth getting your hopes up. Still, 10 old games on a stick for $15 is always interesting to me.

The Activision Video Game System features 10 of the most popular gvames originally created for the Atari gaming systems. Play the classics you loved in the 80's, like Pitfall® 2:The Lost Caverns, Chopper Command, Kaboom!® and Pressure Cooker, that are as fun now as they were decades ago! All ten action-packed games are built into one controller—just plug in and play!

I'd love to see some new, previously un-rehashed content, though. Activision Anthology and Intellivision Lives are old and readily available, and these don't have anything new on offer like the Flashback 2 or other collections. Somebody make me a Stern or Cinematronics device, already.

According to: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/intellivision...ming-189385.php

They're from :roll: TechnoSource, so it's probably not worth getting your hopes up. Still, 10 old games on a stick for $15 is always interesting to me.

The Activision Video Game System features 10 of the most popular gvames originally created for the Atari gaming systems. Play the classics you loved in the 80's, like Pitfall® 2:The Lost Caverns, Chopper Command, Kaboom!® and Pressure Cooker, that are as fun now as they were decades ago! All ten action-packed games are built into one controller—just plug in and play!

I'd love to see some new, previously un-rehashed content, though. Activision Anthology and Intellivision Lives are old and readily available, and these don't have anything new on offer like the Flashback 2 or other collections. Somebody make me a Stern or Cinematronics device, already.

Oh yay, Kaboom! on a joystick. What a waste of time, put something good on there like Crackpots :D

<snip>

Konami and Majesco have teamed-up to slap together a craptastic Dance Dance Revolution spin-off featuring Strawberry Shortcake and her posse of confections. Apparently the Care Bears, Smurfs and Mr Magoo had their dance cards full.

<snip>

Potentially the third most disturbing thing I've heard this year.

:-o

Looks like it's going to suck, big time. It's not even in a joystick (just like the very first Activsion one).

Comments like this illustrate that these companies are not serious enough or doing their research well enough to understand the core of the retro-game market. This community is what really created the resurgence of classic-games, kind of proving that there was a market in nostalgia for these old titles. I think the approach these companies are taking is that a mass-produced, cheaply made product sold at Target will be bought as a disposable item, solely out of curiosity, by a large number of people ONLY for the nostalgia value. These people will go home, play it a couple of times, go "Eh, it isn't like I remember it, I guess you can't go back"... and never realize that it is because of a crappy emulation or implementation, not that it isn't possible to "go back". Two years later when they find it covered in dust and open it up to find corroded batteries, they'll throw it in the trash.

Whereas an item like the FB2... they'll be selling on eBay in 10 or 20 years for $40 or more...

But it looks radical to the awesome max. It's what all the cool kids are playing with.

This is the same company that tried to cash in on the Colecovision name without any of the licenses that makes Coleco interesting.

They deserve our pity for their cluelessness, but not our money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't believe this is Act unit is coming out.... Actually Activision told me they were in talks with Technosource and I told them to allow me to counterbid and I'd get them an appropriate new PnP out the door running a different version of the 2600 chip they couldn't used and done a much more appropriate packaging design - always befuddles me while anyone who does a classic product feels compelled to put it into a modern looking case/controller which just loses ALL essence of retro feel.

On the Intelly thing... work is done and Keith from Intellivision Lives has been contacted, balls in their court if they want a REAL PnP Intelly to come out.

Curt

On the Intelly thing... work is done and Keith from Intellivision Lives has been contacted, balls in their court if they want a REAL PnP Intelly to come out.
Now THAT is something I'd love to see. Keith knows that a lot of people are unhappy with the Techno Source handhelds that they're selling now, and when he was asked about upgrading to a real Inty handheld someday (at CGE '05), he certainly seemed enthusiastic about the prospect. I think he said that the best quote they had received at that point was $30K for 5,000 units, which was still a bit too expensive for them. I'm really hoping that they go for it.

Bless your heart, you wonderful, wonderful man. Methinks I'm gonna go email Keith to let him know how much we support such a project. :D

Guys, maybe you want to add a few more positive votes over here? Apparently, it's not such a stupid idea anymore. :ponder:

This pisses me off, because if someone who has never used the actual hardware uses these they will think all these games suck.

I have to agree with you on that, I modified my controllers but they are still stock, and work the same, they just move better now :)

I was looking at the Intellivision Lives! store page and I found a bit more information about the new Intellivision TV controllers.

The 10 in 1 second edition has Astrosmash 2 (not a typo. An updated version of Astrosmash with new power ups and enemies), Space Armada 2 (updated Space Armada with new power ups and enemies), Crown of Kings (AD&D Cloudy Mountain with a new name), Deadly Discs, Beach Volleyball, Frog Bog, Tennis, Space Gunner & Maze Shoot (games from Sharp Shot), and an all new game, Long Drive Golf.

There is another new set of Intellivision controllers too, Intellivision X2. This one introduces two player versions of Astrosmash, Night Stalker, and Buzz Bombers. It also has Football, Beach Volleyball, Baseball, Pinball, Frog Bog, hockey, tennis, soccer, the same two games from Sharp Shot, and that new Long Drive Golf game.

I still can't help but be skeptical. I like the new approach of new versions of the games better than the approach of the first controllers, but the introduction of 2 player and updated versions still gives me the impression that it may not be using actual hardware (though that definatly wasn't the case with Flashback 2, which has new games and uses actual hardware). Also, the review on this page shows screenshots that use the NES font, which suggests that NES on a chip is still used. Ugh. Using games from Trick Shot on the new controllers to make it look like the controllers have more games than they actually do is low.

Edited by BrianC

Suckage. Why can't they find a publisher for Intellivision Lives DS? Maybe because all this crap is ruining their reputation? Then again, here's the press release from the beginning of this year:

Techno Source Introduces Second Edition of Best-Selling Intellivision 10 Video Game System

New System, expected to surpass sales of the original Intellivision released by Mattel in the early 1980', includes Super-Enhanced Versions of Two Most Popular Intellivision Games of All Time - AstroSmash and Space Armada

NEW YORK, Feb. 10 -Techno Source, a leader in electronic toys and games, announced today the release of Intellivision 10 2nd Edition, a follow-up to their best-selling Intellivision 10 Video Game System. The new TV Play System includes previously unreleased Intellivision classics, such as Deadly Discs and Crown of Kings, along with super-enhanced versions of the two of the most popular video games of all time, AstroSmash and Space Armada. Intellivision 10 2nd Edition will retail for approximately $12.99.

Actually, this doesn't sound *so* bad ... perhaps by "super-enhanced" they mean "less sucky than the NES-on-a-chip we did before." It's nice to see some of the best games (TRON Deadly Discs, Dungeons & Dragons) freed of their license restrictions and made playable elsewhere ... and the price is very good. I might just pick up one of these after all.

Aww heck ... they have that "I AM 8-BIT" book that I wanted on their page, too. I have $13 to spare for the new Intellivison PnP. I'll place an order and let everyone know what I think of this toy.

Edited by Flojomojo

Techno Source Introduces Second Edition of Best-Selling Intellivision 10 Video Game System

New System, expected to surpass sales of the original Intellivision released by Mattel in the early 1980', includes Super-Enhanced Versions of Two Most Popular Intellivision Games of All Time - AstroSmash and Space Armada

Actually, this doesn't sound *so* bad ... perhaps by "super-enhanced" they mean "less sucky than the NES-on-a-chip we did before." It's nice to see some of the best games (TRON Deadly Discs, Dungeons & Dragons) freed of their license restrictions and made playable elsewhere ... and the price is very good. I might just pick up one of these after all.

No, by "super-enhanced", they mean that the games were "updated". Notice how Astrosmash and Space Armada, the two games listed as being "super-enhanced" are the exact games listed as "updated" versions in the game list on the Intellivision Lives store page? Telling from the screens from that one review, not much was done to enhance the graphics. They probably only added new enemies and power ups. I have a feeling that these "enhanced" versions may not be very enhanced. I also have a hunch that the "new" game "Long Drive Golf" may just be the driving range mode of Chip Shot Super Pro Golf.

As I said before, it seems that two games from sharp shot were used to artificially boost the number of games. IMO, the previous 10 in 1 and 25 in 1 have a better selection of games with no artificial number boosting (though none of the games are the actual Intellivision versions and I feel the usage of NES on a chip for the games sucks). It seems Techno Source is resorting to gimmicks rather than even attempting to use hardware based on the original system.

Edited by BrianC