IGNORED

Small party report: Fujiama 2006

Last weekend the Fujiama party took place the first time in Lengenfeld which is located in the east of Germany.

Well the truth is that the Fujiama is the fusion of the (in Germany) well known Schreiersgruen and the Unconventional event both organised by Mr. V.

So Fujiama has a tradition even it has a new name now.

My brother my son and I arrived Friday evening.

The first legal act was drinking a beer which was a must have after driving seven hours.

After we pitched our tents the rest of the evening was about talking and looking around.

I saw the cartreader that Beetle build (http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=89858&pid=1091668&mode=threaded&show=&st=entry1091668) and it looks damn like original hardware just cool.

There where some more interesting hardware to see like the freezer or the usb flash card using a memory stick to read data.

But the real fun started at Saturday.

I brought along my Castle Crisis cartridge and a set of paddles which was a good decision damn it was fun.

We made a contest and since it was my cartridge guess who won ;)

I created a small decathlon style dash game for multijoy but because it was not finished I also coded a bit to get it run.

Interesting to see (again) that if a game runs perfect on emulator it doesn’t mean that it runs on original hardware…

Cas tried to patch Trailblazer for really big USB Skateboard from a Czech guy which was for the PC Version Tony Hawk I think but unfortunately he had no luck.

Playing trailblazer with this beast (it was really big) could have be fun.

After Fujiama Run (the name of the dash game) was quite finished (thanks to Bunsen and Wizard for testing) I could enjoy seeing 7 people shaking their joysticks like crazy.

Believe me it was worth the effort :D

Beetle offered to make a title music and I suggested Chariots of Fire so he sad down immediately and started hacking something into the Chaos Music Composer.

To be honest I didn’t thought he would be very successful but I was damn wrong.

Old Man Tower held a math presentation and talked about softsynth.

He was by far the oldest attendee (I am not sure but it was something like 70+)

Mr. V organised a nice barbecue and because it was really nice weather we sat down outside for a while talking again and drinking beer (or whatever).

Than playing again, coding again and so on…

Sunday Beetle had a final version of his tune and I tried to integrate it into the game which was only partially successful.

The music played on emulator but guess what…

As every year there was an outdoor event this time it was real life Space Invaders.

Some people (the invaders) made a line and ran from left to right, down and than left again.

One with a water pistol (well it was more a pump gun) tried to hit them while two other people right in front of him tried to block the shoots.

It was real fun.

Thanks to all for having a good time.

Hope to see you again next year.

Howdy folks

@Schmutzpuppe: Do you have a screenshot of Fujiama I could use on my Special Stuff page? 320 x 220 would be nice, but I can change the size if need be.

@Raster: We missed you at the Fujiama. And maybe it would be best, to make some kind of "running board" for this game, so we don't have to abuse our joysticks. Running while not moving forward might look silly, but seeing a group of guys making that kinda handmove from the back does look even more silly.

@All: Schmutzpuppe forgot to tell you, that we had lot's of fun with the waterguns a day earlier. R.I.K. had brought two huge waterguns, somebody else (was that Sleepy) had two smaller waterguns and I brought a bunch of waterguns with me. We had a lot of fun. Check out the pictures in the link above. Unfortunately, the water is hard to see.

Greetings

Mathy

Cas tried to patch Trailblazer for really big USB Skateboard from a Czech guy which was for the PC Version Tony Hawk I think but unfortunately he had no luck.

Playing trailblazer with this beast (it was really big) could have be fun.

That Czech guy was me. :) It is a fairly standard USB skateboard, one axis, 2 buttons and a zillion other buttons on the attached gamepad. One of them lights a green LED and another one is even dummy!

I don't think it is really big, I can't imagine a "small" one. :D However, it is really clunky and not very light, especially when one has to carry it to an Atari event. ;)

Cas promised to further investigate the matter and even expressed his interest in buying one. I wonder if he finds one - I have bought mine in a sale and the Dutch distributor www.ergenic.com hasn't answered my e-mail. Maybe Alfadata - the probable manufacturer, would.

BTW: We had much fun playing the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 :cool:

I have some more strange ideas as to which games to patch:

Jungle Hunt

River Raid - Bob!k patched it but it didn't work

Master of the Lamps

Shit Alpin 2005 ;)

Pepax

@Raster: We missed you at the Fujiama. And maybe it would be best, to make some kind of "running board" for this game, so we don't have to abuse our joysticks. Running while not moving forward might look silly, but seeing a group of guys making that kinda handmove from the back does look even more silly.

Hi Mathy,

do you mean something similar to the Amiga Joyboard?

I propose creating a new page named Mathy's collection of crazy stuff. :D Not that I wouldn't have anything to add to it. :twisted:

Pepax

Howdy Pepax

do you mean something similar to the Amiga Joyboard?

I don't really know the Joyboard, but found some text mentioning it via Google. Looks like it can move in all directions a joystick can. I was thinking "left and right" only, but the Joyboard would work if it is sturdy enough. If somebody want's to build something like that for him-/herself, two pieces of board/wood, some kind of hinge, two switches and maybe some springs would work. I'm not even gonna try it. It's way to hot in most of Europe (as you know) and I can hardly get myself to do anything at all.

Greetings

Mathy

PS if somebody was silly enough to buy a stairmaster from one of those "buy this and you will get lots of muscles and lose a lot of weight commercials" you might be able to use that as a start. Now all you need is two switches and some cable. :cool: :D

Hi Mathy!

I was thinking "left and right" only, but the Joyboard would work if it is sturdy enough. If somebody want's to build something like that for him-/herself, two pieces of board/wood, some kind of hinge, two switches and maybe some springs would work. I'm not even gonna try it.

I have another "Modest Proposal" for you. :D

How about making an adaptor from 1 joystick port to 2 joysticks that would connect only their Y axes, one as X and the other as Y, of course, so it would make, bundled with the Fujiama Run, a nice "paralympic run" simulator (provided that Schmutzpuppe changes the controller routine accordingly :)). Also, the UP and DOWN signals of the 2 joysticks can possibly be combined to simulate only one axis so that the adaptor stays compatible with the game. :)

What do you think, is it both crazy and technically easy enough? :D

Pepax

Edited by pepax

Howdy Pepax

How about making an adaptor from 1 joystick port to 2 joysticks that would connect only their Y axes, one as X and the other as Y, of course, so it would make, bundled with the Fujiama Run, a nice "paralympic run" simulator (provided that Schmutzpuppe changes the controller routine accordingly :)). Also, the UP and DOWN signals of the 2 joysticks can possibly be combined to simulate only one axis so that the adaptor stays compatible with the game. :)

What do you think, is it both crazy and technically easy enough? :D

Why would you want to do that?

If you use a Multijoy Interface you already have 8 joystickports. If you use my idea, you could leave out all signals except "left and right" on the "running controller".

Greetings

Mathy

Why would you want to do that?

If you use a Multijoy Interface you already have 8 joystickports. If you use my idea, you could leave out all signals except "left and right" on the "running controller".

Sure, but that would involve making a new controller. My idea shares the use of 2 limbs with yours, just different ones. :D And it is also less ordinary. :twisted:

Also, it could be used with some new cool games, if only someone wrote them. ;)

I bet there are some games requiring 2 joysticks for one player but I have the Multijoy in mind. :) How about a rowboat race for the next Fujiama? (Hi Schmutzpuppe! :D )

P.

Hi Mathy,

reading the following line on your Special Stuff page I can't help but share another funny idea with you.

"If you have an idea that isn't on my list, please tell me about it."

Wouldn't you like playing a Multijoy&Multilink Relay Racing Simulator? :D

Even watching people playing it would be a hell of a lot of fun. ;)

BTW: Your "stepping controller" idea is cool. But mine "paracontroller" would be more suitable for sports like row-boat racing, some paralympics, swimming and maybe some other sport simulators. :)

And no, I can't get that crazy Fujiama Run off my mind. :P

Pepax

Howdy folks

For those who are curious, here are some names.

Check out the very last picture in the link Cas mentioned:

Sitting from the left:

Bohdan, Krupkaj, Beetle, Pepax, Sleepy

Standing from the left:

Bunsen, R.I.K., Mr. V., Wizard, Mathy, AtariXLE, PLatari, DL7UKK, Cas, Anke, Schmutzpuppe's brother, Schmutzpuppe, Zdenek, Schmutzpuppe's son.

Greetings

Mathy

PS if somebody was silly enough to buy a stairmaster from one of those "buy this and you will get lots of muscles and lose a lot of weight commercials" you might be able to use that as a start. Now all you need is two switches and some cable. :cool: :D

Hi Mathy,

looks like there is no need for a homemade controller of this kind. See the Stepper PC.

If you feel a sudden urge to buy one you can place a joint order with Cas (they also produce the USB Skateboard). :D

Pepax

P.S. Just a silly thought: Should the Fujiama Run with multiple USB controller support exist one day in the scientifictional future I don't want to play it. :D

Howdy Pepax

You're just lazy. :D

This stepper was exactly as I had imagined it. (Except for the horrible color) It looks like one of those things people see on TV, buy to loose weight, and after a month either leave under the bed or store it somewhere and forget about it.

BTW have you seen the motorcycle steering wheel. That's nice for playing TRON or something simular.

Greetings

Mathy

PS I don't think this company sells directly to private persons, only to other companies.