IGNORED

Putting software on a Cassette

Asolac

I've got a 1050 without a DOS disk, but just today I picked up a 410 (and an upgraded 400 with a better keyboard and 48K :) ). The disk drive has essentially been useless until now since I don't have any software for it.

If there is a way to transfer files from PC to Cassette image, I could CAS2WAV the images and put them on cassette, then put the cassette on the atari and presumably copy the files to disk. Is there any software that would allow me to do this? Is there any software that I could load on cassette in order to format a disk?

If I can get a file copied and a disk formatted, then I should be able to get DOS.SYS and DUP.SYS copied too, right?

You could format a disk and put DOS on it from cassette but it would be a drawn out process.

Best method would probably be to create an .ATR then strip the header and split the remaining image into chunks of about 32K, then read each chunk from cassette files and write them to the disk.

Actually, thinking again, it would probably be better to perform some basic compression - you only really need to format then write the 3 boot sectors, first 2 VTOC/DIR sectors, and the sectors containing DOS/DUP, so a little programming and a cassette containing a program to write a customised image could do it.

Edited by Rybags

DOS_25_rescue.zip

Try this cassette image, use it as a bootable file with BASIC turned on.

It's a quick-fix which will give you DOS 2.5 (but no DUP). Use the CAS2WAV utility linked in the previous post to put it on tape.

Once it boots, POKE 9,1 then press RESET (for some reason my init routine didn't quite work properly).

You'll be able to do disk operations but have to use the XIO command to do the format.

Edited by Rybags

• 12 years later...

Necro thread, RISE!

Ok I did this and booted my 800XL off my iPhone. I'm going to make a YouTube video with the audio at the end...so you'll be able to boot an 800XL off a YouTube video. :)

Dark magics indeed.

But, it boots right to the DOS menu so I presume the poke and reset aren't necessary except on a 400 or maybe 800?

"Once it boots, POKE 9,1 then press RESET (for some reason my init routine didn't quite work properly).

You'll be able to do disk operations but have to use the XIO command to do the format. "

I tried a couple of operations that sort of worked but I'm pretty sure my AC adapter is too weak. It's 1.0Amp for a 1050 disk drive. Rotation seems slow and seems to speed up slightly when the head isn't seaking.

• Like 1

I tried a couple of operations that sort of worked but I'm pretty sure my AC adapter is too weak. It's 1.0Amp for a 1050 disk drive. Rotation seems slow and seems to speed up slightly when the head isn't seaking.

According to tf_hh you should be good with 2A as the drive needs up to 1.4 when starting. Best Electronics should have PSUs for the US.

There are 2A 9V AC PSUs for musical equipment on Amazon that could work. Or you could convert your 1050 to DC operation which reportedly results in cooler operation. Instructions are in ABBUC mag 108 or you PM tf_hh who wrote them.

Very surprising, and refreshing. This is the sort of thing that was done in the beginning. No shop to get a DOS disk, you have the drive... waiting 10 days to get it shipping via snail mail isn't going to cut it... either download via modem and save to tape a simple DOS then download to disk the full DOS if at all possible or have a friend send make multiple recordings over the phone at various speeds and fiddle with your stereo equipment forever to get your tape and load the dos finally being able to format a disk and write the dos out to it :).

Modern day youtube audio played/saved to your phone or pc with cassette adapter to do the same. Oddly enough I smiled and felt a sense of pleasure watching and see this modern twist done today.

Thanks real actor Rob... ;)

Booting your Atari off a youtube video!

Look at what you have started!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Thanks for the responses folks!

And thanks for the subscribes. :) Wouldn't it be great if I could at least make a part-time living doing the same dumb stuff I do for free now? Help out by keeping the subs coming!

Exactly why I put it up? Probably lots more tape adapters lying around than Atari DOS disks. :)

Edited by @RealActorRob

• 2 years later...