IGNORED

Is anyone still making arcade games for the US market?

Bill Brasky

I don't mean kiddie rides, kiddie redemption games/novelties, bartop trivia machines or DDR games imported from japan. The last time I was in a Gameworks it still had mostly old Dreamcast era games that ran on Naomi hardware.

If you want to shoot deer or play golf you're in luck. I'm not sure about anything else.

There are quite a few new video games out on This page

Thanks for the link, but that was one sorry line-up. Arcade games used to be so cool that most people would buy even the crappiest home version just to get a chancer to play their favorite games a little longer. Now, we see a sad state of affairs indeed.

-Ray

There are quite a few new video games out on This page

Thanks for the link, but that was one sorry line-up. Arcade games used to be so cool that most people would buy even the crappiest home version just to get a chancer to play their favorite games a little longer. Now, we see a sad state of affairs indeed.

-Ray

True, not what it used to be but younger kids aren't impressed by graphics the way we used to be. Home systems have reached near photo like graphics so that puts arcade developers at a huge disadvantage. Basicly they need to release something you can't play at home. There's no nostalgia in arcades for the younger generations since they all grew up playing home consoles. Anyways that page didn't totally suck, Metal Slug 6 and KOF XI would still get my quarters (or should I say dollars these days) :)

The only genres that make any money are sports, gaming, racing and fighting games. A manufacturer would be foolish to make anything else right now. Arcades are not what they once were. I feel sorry for those who didn't get to hang out in the classic darkly-lit, Pepsi-soaked drug dens of 1980.

The only genres that make any money are sports, gaming, racing and fighting games. A manufacturer would be foolish to make anything else right now. Arcades are not what they once were. I feel sorry for those who didn't get to hang out in the classic darkly-lit, Pepsi-soaked drug dens of 1980.

Damn Straight!

-Ray

It's really amazing that the only popular games are shooting, raceing, and sport games honestly I hate all these types of arcade games. There boring no matter what you do to them there all the same just shooting or driveing something different. I have always hated sports games even on home consoles I would rather go out and play the sport than sit and play a meaningless sport game thats outdated in a few months. I really don't think it's just the people that are not playing diferent games anymore It's the fact that no one has any imagination about game makeing anymore. They hit the street Fighter ERA and never bothered to do anything else I think It was the invention of fighting games like Street Fighter, Motral Combat, Ect. that ruined arcades. You could get these games at home then no longer needed to leave the house. I think if they kept making creative games that couldn't be reproduced at home Arcade would have still been around today. But thats just my two cents.

The new Aliens game has been in testing for a few months now. It's supposed to come out next month. here are a couple of pics. no pics of the Aliens themselves though.

I agree about the lack of originality in arcades. Sadly they have got stuck in a rut - not making anything beyond those genres mentioned. Well, at least Sega is doing a few new things with some of their new titles, like the touch screen fighting game Psy Phi and you have AfterBurner Climax, but otherwise those who do make new arcade games are playing it safe, sticking with the genres they know will make them a little bit of cash. I even think Eugene Jarvis has his own arcade game company, Raw Thrills and he seems to have lost site of original ideas - just making shooters like Big Buck Hunter and racing games like The Fast and the Furious.

Here's the Aliens game...it's made by Global VR, a US company, owned by EA. They will also be releasing a new NASCAR racing game sometime. They once tried to do something more fresh and original with their VorTek VR system but arcade techs didn't like them very much as they were prone to breaking down.

post-3928-1155615553_thumb.jpg

post-3928-1155615563_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shaggy the Atarian