IGNORED

Misadventure- nearly final version. Comments?

yorgle

Nukey: thanks for the input. I never thought about the multiples of two thing but that explains why the game would lock up while experimenting with some values. I'll play around with it some more.

Actually, it's powers of 2 (e.g. #$02, #$04, #$08, #$10, #$20, $40, and #$80). The AND value limits the number chosen by trimming off the upper bits of the value (so if your game used no more than 32 rooms, you'd use AND #$1F...decimal values 0 to 31). Room numbers above $7F are used to determine if the map differs between game variations, so you'd still be limited to a maximum of 128 rooms without removing that routine (AND #$7F).

I forgot about the princess sticking to the magnet. Ha Ha. If I were really good, I'd figure out how to make it so the dragons could eat the princess as well as you so the goal would be to get her back to the green castle alive.

The magnet has a matrix of what it attracts...so you can just remove the byte pair that indicates the princess. Similarly, each dragon has it's own matrix of what objects are "liked" or "feared" more than others...so the princess could be placed high on the list...with a comparison done in the dragon routine if it is guarding the princess (and if so, kill the game).

Thanks, Nukey and everyone else. Stay tuned for an updated .bin within the next few weeks.

I'm beginning to like the hit points on the dragons. It makes the game more challenging. I think that will help the long term replayability.

That was one of the key points I looked at in making the game- that it remain challenging even after the mazes had been figured out. The hit points definitely help do that. Interestingly, my 8-yr-old daughter soon figured out a trick- when you see the bat carrying a dragon, grab the bat, carry it (and dragon) to the sword and hold the dragon helplessly against the sword until its dead. Consequently, I was forced to change the code so that the bat no longer carries dragons.

Edited by yorgle

I'm beginning to like the hit points on the dragons. It makes the game more challenging. I think that will help the long term replayability.

That was one of the key points I looked at in making the game- that it remain challenging even after the mazes had been figured out. The hit points definitely help do that. Interestingly, my 8-yr-old daughter soon figured out a trick- when you see the bat carrying a dragon, grab the bat, carry it (and dragon) to the sword and hold the dragon helplessly against the sword until its dead. Consequently, I was forced to change the code so that the bat no longer carries dragons.

That's a pretty clever trick! It's nice to hear that someone from the younger generation is growing up with Adventure. One of my tricks is to have the bat pick up a dragon so the dragon can't eat me. Now I know why it never works :)

Edited by accousticguitar

• 8 months later...
I forgot about the princess sticking to the magnet. Ha Ha. If I were really good, I'd figure out how to make it so the dragons could eat the princess as well as you so the goal would be to get her back to the green castle alive.

Mabye you could have two princess states "captured" which is how she starts out and changes "saved" when you touch her where the dragons think she is the same as your dot.