IGNORED

Atari 2600 GUI

Dragnerok X

Here it is, one of the first and probably one of the only GUI's for the atari 2600. It is one of my first sucessful atari games/programs and I thought I'd like give it a little more exposure from the '2600 programming forum. Any comments, questions and suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Atari_OS_version_1.0.bin

Edited by Dragnerok X

• 4 weeks later...
Are you planning to add any other programs?

-Tim

Hmm.....maybe :) . If not there is a dev-kit (a little outdated), source code and what-not here. Right now I'm a liitle too busy making a cart of this (ironically) to add anything, but maybe I might do some updating. My original goal with this was to do what atari failed to-do (i.e. the graduate) so making this better would be totally fine with me!!! Maybe one day we might be able to *gasp* access AA with the '2600 herself! (though that might be pushing it)

--Dragnerok X

Are you planning to add any other programs?

-Tim

Hmm.....maybe :) . If not there is a dev-kit (a little outdated), source code and what-not here. Right now I'm a liitle too busy making a cart of this (ironically) to add anything, but maybe I might do some updating. My original goal with this was to do what atari failed to-do (i.e. the graduate) so making this better would be totally fine with me!!! Maybe one day we might be able to *gasp* access AA with the '2600 herself! (though that might be pushing it)

--Dragnerok X

What am I thinking!!! :o :o :o I should update this first before I make a cartridge of it. Well then, does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to improve this?

Great job on the GUI.

My idea is that you can make an Adventure-type game, with the hero (the square cursor of course) wandering around the GUI looking for bugs. Literally, crawling insects. If you can capture 3 bugs and bring them back to the home screen and put them into the "trash" bin in the GUI, you win!

Some ideas off the top of my head:

- screen saver

- support for other peripherals (number pad especially)

- window dragging

- text

- make-your-own pong game!

- paint program

This looks awesome, by the way. Reminds me of the cool 2600 stuff I used to see, like that webserver.

Add more programs, more icons.

THAT I can do. However, I would have to make a small sacrifice for it. The icons would have to all look the same (have the same sprite), because i'm in sprite shortage right now and what I would have to do would be to make copies of the player and let my software (yay! :) ) collision detection do the rest. Here's about what it would look like.

post-9847-1157045145_thumb.png

The only problem with this setup would be the user would have to memorize the icon's contents.

BTW: I still haven't utilized the "ball" object, so if anyone has any ideas on what to do with that, tell me!

Edited by Dragnerok X

- screen saver

Maybe, I tryed that once before and it probably would be realistic.

- support for other peripherals (number pad especially)

Sorry, it doesn't look like I could add it with my existing setup.

- window dragging

That too.

- text

maybe, in it's own program.

- make-your-own pong game!

;)

- paint program

Sure, why not?

This looks awesome, by the way. Reminds me of the cool 2600 stuff I used to see, like that webserver.

Thanks, I've been working on this quite some time now (months, actually) and my perfectionistic attitude has helped contribute to it's "look".

Add more programs, more icons.

THAT I can do. However, I would have to make a small sacrifice for it. The icons would have to all look the same (have the same sprite), because i'm in sprite shortage right now and what I would have to do would be to make copies of the player and let my software (yay! :) ) collision detection do the rest. Here's about what it would look like.

post-9847-1157045145_thumb.png

The only problem with this setup would be the user would have to memorize the icon's contents.

BTW: I still haven't utilized the "ball" object, so if anyone has any ideas on what to do with that, tell me!

Scratch that. I just tried it out and guess what happened....

post-9847-1157046807_thumb.png

....kind of funny actually. :)

So right now, as it seems, I only have room to add non-program based additions (i.e. additions to the GUI: screensavers, tweaks, etc.)

Edited by Dragnerok X

So...is there anything else GUI-wise that anyone would like to see me add because I want to make it as perfect as possible before moving on to programs and such.

There's some sort of corruption in the score when it gets over 5. You might want to look into that. While you're at it, perhaps you could add the blank sprite for the number $A so that it doesn't need to be zero filled? :)

So...is there anything else GUI-wise that anyone would like to see me add because I want to make it as perfect as possible before moving on to programs and such.

There's some sort of corruption in the score when it gets over 5. You might want to look into that. While you're at it, perhaps you could add the blank sprite for the number $A so that it doesn't need to be zero filled? :)

I just fixed that. Now just a quick question before I add the blank sprite. HOW DO I add the blank sprite?

Atari_OS_9106.bin

Edited by Dragnerok X

I just fixed that. Now just a quick question before I add the blank sprite. HOW DO I add the blank sprite?

There's a thread explaning the "extra" characters available here. Generally speaking, you should be able to just plug in the score_graphics.asm file I posted for Deimos Lander. It will reduce your available space by a few bytes, but otherwise it shouldn't have any real effect on your code. You can either look at the Deimos Lander code for an example of how to eliminate numbers (specifically, look at the Level Display) or you can wait until I get a chance to patch your code.

BTW, if you're looking for more programs, might I suggest finishing the calculator? :)