IGNORED

Atari 2600 GUI

Dragnerok X

Well what is the color/bw switch going to do then?

I don't see why it has to do anything, but if you want to be 7800 compliant, you could use it as a pause for Pong. Make sure you toggle the pause only when then switch is toggled to black and white. Toggling back to color should NOT unpause the game.

.....I guess the switch is not THAT important then. However it sounds like a screensaver is in order!!! Does anyone have any good ideas?

I'm back and I'd like to say this project isn't abandoned yet! I've just been very busy lately and hope you haven't given up after 3+ days ;) . Oh well. Back to what we were talking about, screensavers!

My original idea is something like this....

There would be a 3d vector-based rotating logo going from...

post-9847-1157765279.png

....and would fit within a 16 pixel (8x2) sprite.

What do you think?

Edited by Dragnerok X

Cool! I think the background should change color while the Atari logo is spinning. That would be even more cool.

That's a possibility, too. The only problem thus far is I'm not that great of an artist and thus can't transfer my idea onto a 16-pixel sprite. Anyone want to help me out here?

That's a possibility, too. The only problem thus far is I'm not that great of an artist and thus can't transfer my idea onto a 16-pixel sprite. Anyone want to help me out here?

Actually, I think you could go a fair bit wider than 16 pixels if you use one player and missile for the left half of the Fuji, one player and missile for the right half, and the Ball for the middle.

Actually, I think you could go a fair bit wider than 16 pixels if you use one player and missile for the left half of the Fuji, one player and missile for the right half, and the Ball for the middle.

I was thinking the same thing, but Dragnerok X wants a psuedo-vectorish by making the Fuji hollow. While the missiles, ball, and playfield could be used to come up with the center outline, bBASIC just isn't precise enough with the playfield to make it happen.

I was thinking the same thing, but Dragnerok X wants a psuedo-vectorish by making the Fuji hollow. While the missiles, ball, and playfield could be used to come up with the center outline, bBASIC just isn't precise enough with the playfield to make it happen.

Set playfield color to black. Use one player for the left half of the Fuji; the other for the right half. Use a one or both missiles for the center of the Fuji, but block out the middle portion using the Ball (CTRLPF should be set appropriately).

Well, I'm back again, and I guess I'm a bit better artist than I thought.....

post-9847-1157917682.png

...what do you think? I'm not sure how easily I'll be able to sqeeze this into 600k but, hey!

BTW: I'm only using a max of 15 pixels a time and it's working out fine.

Edited by Dragnerok X

Updated it a little more....Just about perfect now.

Sorry it's kind of hard to see. I'm doing pixel-by-pixel drawing.

post-9847-1157936613.png

Any opinions yet?

You might get more opinions if it were easier to see. :) But I copied it into a Paint program and blew it up REALLY big so I could see it, and it should look really good in action!

MR

You might get more opinions if it were easier to see. :) But I copied it into a Paint program and blew it up REALLY big so I could see it, and it should look really good in action!

MR

Blowing it up distorted the graphics a bit but.....I guess it was a fair trade-off :) .

post-9847-1157938351_thumb.png

BTW: I've already started animating this in Bb so expect a cool 3d thing in 2-3 days!!!

Edited by Dragnerok X

I like the "Flying Windows" screensaver. Why not make a "Flying Atari" screensaver. It'd be like Windows logos flying through space, but replacing Windows logos with Atari logos.

All this talk about this made me look into doing this on my Mac. If you have OS X, please see my blog and let me know what you think!

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Actually it appears I'm days ahead of schedule because I just finished. Check it out! :D

Very nice! My only request is, can you double or quadruple size the sprite(s)? It's kind of tiny right now. :)

Maybe, I guess so. I did it with the Atari OS logo why can't I do it with this? O.K. :)

On startup have the user set the time

Just a thought, but if you go as far as allowing the user to set the time, you could use the score field on the GUI screen as a clock. Just add a colon to the list of extra characters, then modify the score to only show the numbers/characters of the time.