Number font graphics

Extra player graphics

Player color

Score color

Evil Otto's graphics

Electrocution glitch pixel removed

Increased difficulty

Evil Otto game 1 default

This is about as far as I can take it. Maybe someone else can help.

Suggested changes:

Title screen - Done

More mazes - Done (maybe have some non-mirrored mazes) :sad:

Voice via AtariVox

More aggressive diagonal firing algorithm

I hope everyone can pitch in to make this the ultimate Atari 2600 version of BEZERK. It plays good now but it can be a lot better with the extra touches. I will do whatever I can to help. Anybody else have any other suggestions?

Hi Neo.

Your thread has been up here for almost a year.

I'm very surprized that the only people interested in helping you out after all the efforts you have shown are other non-programmers/hackers like myself. There's just not enough programmers with the time and/or interest unfortunately.

Well, I'm also a hacker with drawing skills and like working on my own hack ideas and try to contribute to other people's hacks and homebrew projects too. I know it's difficult to ask a programmer for assistance if you don't already know them personaly.

Anyway, look at my BERZERK Arcade VE thread. You will find some downloadable bin samples of mazes I added to Mike's voice hacked version. You're welcome to implement Debro's diagnoal shot code. If you were able to do it in the first place but if that's beyond your ability with Mike's VE source then let's hope others will pitch in a hand.

You who are reading this: If you know a programmer who would be willing to help, please turn them on to this thread. If you are a programmer, please take into concideration the amount of work here that needs a coder's know how so it won't go to waste. This is not an idea that's being peddled, this is a WIP that needs help from the AA community so we can finally enjoy all of the berzerk hack features in one build. How long do you want this to stay in limbo folks?

In the hacks forum, I posted a version where leaving via the right blocks the left wall only and vice versa. With that exception, assymmetric mazes are apt to be difficult.

Could you add that into this version?

Assymmetric mazes were wishful thinking. I would settle for more mazes. :D

Has supercat done this yet? If so, I can add the mazes from there. If not, it don't sound like asking too much for him to add a feature he's already done on his own, that's of course, if he wants to.

This hack looks great! Regarding Berzerk VE, please use any of it that you'd like. I should still have the source someplace if that is needed. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Good luck!

Thanks Mike for your willingness to contribute here. We just need a coder who's willing to do their part. I can only do what I can do. What's holding this up is the lack of a coder.

Neo, I appreciate your efforts to motivate interest in this, though it were long since last summer, and I wish I could do more to help make this hack combo happen. as i agree what you said earlier, "where's the berzerk love?"

ALMOST ALL THE PIECES ARE HERE. IS THERE A CODER THAT WANT TO SEE THIS HAPPEN AND PUT THEM TOGETHER? AT LEAST THE VOICE ENHANCED AND DIAGNOAL SHOT SOURCES IN THE SAME BUILD? (ALL I CAN DO ARE THE MAZES) Thank you. :)

Just for the record: 1832 veiws to this thread at the time of this posting.

Box art makes Evil Otto look like a grinning sicko ready to zap somebody into a "have a nice day" oblivion.

Of course, it would be funny if everytime Evil Otto zaps you, a computer voice says, "have a nice day!"

... :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: -- i can imagine the humaniod saying that too! :lolblue:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, one request (assuming more development is going on with this awesome hack), it doesn't seem to work on a modded Flashback 2. I can run lots of other homebrews and hacks on mine so it's not an issue regarding how my Flashback 2 was adjusted to be able to play cartridges. I have tried both the Berzerk_AE_normal.bin and also the Berzerk_AE_small.bin ROMS and neither work. My guess is it's something to do with bank switching, that is generally the reason games don't work on Flashback 2's.

Anyway, if there's any way to correct that for us Flashback owners, that too would be awesome.

Oh, one request (assuming more development is going on with this awesome hack), it doesn't seem to work on a modded Flashback 2. I can run lots of other homebrews and hacks on mine so it's not an issue regarding how my Flashback 2 was adjusted to be able to play cartridges. I have tried both the Berzerk_AE_normal.bin and also the Berzerk_AE_small.bin ROMS and neither work. My guess is it's something to do with bank switching, that is generally the reason games don't work on Flashback 2's.

Anyway, if there's any way to correct that for us Flashback owners, that too would be awesome.

The roms are 4k...no banking used. It was reported that FB2's have problems with "illegal" opcodes, which might explain why some current homebrews and hacks that take advantage of them don't work...but it's not the case here (no illegals used).

What's weird is 16k Berzerk homebrews work fine in my FlashBack 2. I tried the other Berzerk hack from this BERZERK Arcade VE thread and it plays just fine, with the new mazes, smaller guys, and even the Voice Enhancements. If that one just had Evil Otto and the diagonal shots I'd be in Berzerk Heaven.

Whomever can combine all these great Berzerk hacks to getting us the definitive Arcade port, I'm sure we would all appreciate it.