142 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the best...

• Commodore 64
    • ZX Spectrum
    • Apple 2
    • Atari 400
    • Amstrad 664

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Uhh...I pick the C-64, just because Ive never played any 8-bit computer games(dont know if parsec for the T1-99/4A counts), and have only played the C-64 30-in-1 joystick, and have alot of fun with that.

The Commodore 64 is going to be one of my next system purchases after I buy a 7800.

Im drunk, but trust me when I say that the load times will make you commmit suicide. Emulator is the way to go when it comes to old computers. I still got 3 c=64's and hundreds of disk's but I never use 'em. The load times just aint worth it.

CCS64 is the best emulator out there, so if you can find an old version of it then your set to go man. Ok me pass out now

Steve Davis Snooker 128k was written using most of the code drom the original 1984 CDS game which was written in Basic! The 128 version allowed name entries, had better sound and a cheat mode where you could turn all the ball into bumper cars. If you had read my other post you would also have noticed that I wrote many games which my uncle (who taught me how to program) who worked for Telecomsoft (Firebird) for many years. But judging by the statement at the end of your post I'm guessing that maybe you can't read :?

Im drunk, but trust me when I say that the load times will make you commmit suicide. Emulator is the way to go when it comes to old computers. I still got 3 c=64's and hundreds of disk's but I never use 'em. The load times just aint worth it.

If you're buying a C64 then you should also buy a fast load/utility cartridge for it. Epyx Fast Load isn't the best, but it's cheap and common. Super Snapshot v5, or Action Replay 6 are better, but more expensive. JiffyDOS, a ROM upgrade, is also worth a look.

I use emulators for checking stuff out and coding, but I use my real gear for proper gaming, whether it's C-64, A8, or whatever.

CCS64 is the best emulator out there, so if you can find an old version of it then your set to go man. Ok me pass out now

VICE is the other prominent C64 emulator, and it has the advantage of including emulators for most all 8-bit Commodore machines, including the VIC-20, Plus/4, C128, and PET.

Parsec for the TI-99 don't count, as it's a 16-bit computer

A 16-bit computer that's inferior to many 8-bits then. At the Minigame Competition we decided to allow the TI-99/4a and Intellivision despite their superior "bitness" - we had no fear that they would make our Speccys and C-64s look bad :)

Zx Spectrum is my favorite, while it didn't have as many colors and nice graphics as the Commodore 64, it was a good computer. Skool Daze, Alien, Paradise Café, Sex Crime, Sim City were awesome games, for it.

There's no doubt that there are loads of good games for the Spectrum.

So who exactly are you? I've been going through the games you listed in the WOS database, and the only one I can find is Steve Davis Snooker, authorship of which is credited to Mike Lamb (a very famous Speccy games programmer who did quite a lot of licensed stuff in the late 80's for Ocean/Imagine). I can't find any of the others - is there any chance you still have copies and would be willing to upload them to WOS?

Incidentally, your date of birth as listed on this site would make you 7 years old when you wrote Steve Davis Snooker. Quite an achievement! ;)

Steve Davis Snooker 128k was written using most of the code drom the original 1984 CDS game which was written in Basic! The 128 version allowed name entries, had better sound and a cheat mode where you could turn all the ball into bumper cars. If you had read my other post you would also have noticed that I wrote many games which my uncle (who taught me how to program) who worked for Telecomsoft (Firebird) for many years. But judging by the statement at the end of your post I'm guessing that maybe you can't read :?

Interesting that you've chosen to change your date of birth from 1977 to 1971 on your profile page, and then you have the cheek to imply I can't read.

Incidentally, regarding the magazine covertapes - which mags, which issues, and which games are yours?

Oh, and Google Cache works wonders, doesn't it?

Edited by Malc74
  • Like 4

If you're buying a C64 then you should also buy a fast load/utility cartridge for it. Epyx Fast Load isn't the best, but it's cheap and common. Super Snapshot v5, or Action Replay 6 are better, but more expensive. JiffyDOS, a ROM upgrade, is also worth a look.

Yeah, you most definitely need some type of load accelerator to keep you from going insane waiting for stuff to load. I have one of the Retro Replay carts and it is very nice.

I've also recently acquired a Pwr/Link cart for use with 64HDD, and the speed of that thing is unbelievably fast. Raid Over Moscow loads in seconds! :D

So who exactly are you? I've been going through the games you listed in the WOS database, and the only one I can find is Steve Davis Snooker, authorship of which is credited to Mike Lamb (a very famous Speccy games programmer who did quite a lot of licensed stuff in the late 80's for Ocean/Imagine). I can't find any of the others - is there any chance you still have copies and would be willing to upload them to WOS?

Incidentally, your date of birth as listed on this site would make you 7 years old when you wrote Steve Davis Snooker. Quite an achievement! ;)

Interesting that you've chosen to change your date of birth from 1977 to 1971 on your profile page, and then you have the cheek to imply I can't read.

Incidentally, regarding the magazine covertapes - which mags, which issues, and which games are yours?

Oh, and Google Cache works wonders, doesn't it?

It really is quite sad that there are people like you on these forums (its a shame more of the people i've recieved PM's from havn't posted either). You not only don't seem to be able to read or check your facts but also go all out to try and protect yourself rather than just admit you are wrong then have the cheek to ask for information from me. Seen as you seem to be such an expert you would know what games are mine and who I worked for not only on the Spectrum but also the Atari ST, alot of people here (and on other forums) seem to know who I am without me even saying by seeing some of my more recent stuff and posts. :ponder:

Have a nice day! :D

It really is quite sad that there are people like you on these forums (its a shame more of the people i've recieved PM's from havn't posted either). You not only don't seem to be able to read or check your facts but also go all out to try and protect yourself rather than just admit you are wrong then have the cheek to ask for information from me. Seen as you seem to be such an expert you would know what games are mine and who I worked for not only on the Spectrum but also the Atari ST, alot of people here (and on other forums) seem to know who I am without me even saying by seeing some of my more recent stuff and posts. :ponder:

Have a nice day! :D

Ah! The old "I've been completely caught out trying to show off and now I'm going to act all outraged as a way to avoid the issue completely" routine. Very nicely done I must admit, but you still haven't answered any of the questions I've asked, like -

*Why did you change the date of birth in your profile page? And why did you try and imply that it was my fault for not being able to read properly? I produced the Google cache link merely because you were trying to make me out to be somewhat unobservant, instead of simply saying "Oh, I put the wrong year in, it should have read 1971 instead of 1977").

*Why did you initially imply that you wrote Steve Davis Snooker "Steve Davis Snooker (renamed by publisher CDS originally callled plain Snooker)" and then, when pulled up on the fact, changed your tune and stated you actually wrote a 128K update. Incidentally, the original SDS is not wholly written in BASIC (as you previously stated), having a large chunk of MC as well - if you updated the program how come you weren't aware of that - and where is this updated version?

*Where are all these games that you claim to have written and had published? I can't find any of them apart from Steve Davis Snooker (and as mentioned, that's credited to someone called Mike Lamb - and you sure as hell aren't him).

*Which of your games have appeared on magazine covertapes? All I need are the game names, and the WOS database will tell me the rest. It's definitely none of the original list you supplied, as none of them are in the WOS database, and that links to all the games that appeared on covertapes.

It's quite simple. If you've had all these PM's of support from people, then here's the chance to make me look totally foolish. You don't have to tell me your name - I'm not asking that you give up your anonymity or anything. All I'm asking for is that you give me, say, the name (and publisher) of one of the budget games you had published and the name (and magazine name) of one of your covertape games. If you're right I'll graciously admit how wrong I am.

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I was initially more interested in getting some of these games you allegedly wrote and had published uploaded onto World of Spectrum. The "7 years old" thing was a light-hearted jab, as I assumed you'd simply put the wrong birth year into your profile (which is why I put the ;) after it) yet you chose to surrepticiously change the birth year and implied I'd been reading it wrong. Is it any surprise I pulled up the Google cache page and now have difficulty believing anything you say?

It's all up to you now - you can reveal your true identity and make me look a fool or you can disappear and pretend that this thread never existed - but don't bang on about how you wrote a bunch of Spectrum games and then act all surprised and insulted when someone asks for some more information.

• Like 3

Press break and you will see CDS's Snooker is entirely written in basic (even the currah speech modules)

Have you ever figured that maybe I don't want my games to appear on WOS????

I loathe emulation and only believe in playing on REAL hardware.

I think if you bother to look that Advanced Lawnmower Simulator appeared on a Your Sinclair covertape, one of many . . . . . . :ponder:

Press break and you will see CDS's Snooker is entirely written in basic (even the currah speech modules)

:roll: No. No it isn't. Open up the tzx file in the Spin tape browser and you'll see a 13K long piece of machine code at the end. That's why there are Randomize USR commands in the BASIC - they call the machine code sections.

I think if you bother to look that Advanced Lawnmower Simulator appeared on a Your Sinclair covertape, one of many . . . . . . :ponder:

Oooookay. This is just getting too weird for words now. Unless you really are ex-Your Sinclair and PC Zone writer Duncan MacDonald, of course.

See you later Mr Mitty.

*backs slowly away from thread*

• Like 3

:roll: No. No it isn't. Open up the tzx file in the Spin tape browser and you'll see a 13K long piece of machine code at the end. That's why there are Randomize USR commands in the BASIC - they call the machine code sections.

Oooookay. This is just getting too weird for words now. Unless you really are ex-Your Sinclair and PC Zone writer Duncan MacDonald, of course.

See you later Mr Mitty.

*backs slowly away from thread*

This thread has no offcially lost me. I don't even know who Duncan MacDonald is. Even if I did know, I don't think I'd care if Kizza was or was not this person. All the guy said was he wrote a couple of games here and there . Geez, he never claimed to be freakin' Clive Sinclair, or anything.

Y'all need to just chill.

-Ray

Edited by pocketmego

Hello folks!

World of Spectrum claims a huge amount of software titles (above 10.000), but they count re-releases, type-in listings and Construction Kit games, so they're cheating too.

For the record, World of Spectrum does NOT count re-releases. Although I guess its easy to assume that they are counted.

I had a few on cover tapes on magazines and a few published by budget producers.

Halls of Zatress, Centipod, Zombie!, Advanced Lawnmover Simulator, Steve Davis Snooker (renamed by publisher CDS originally callled plain Snooker), Penalty Shootout, Forest, Big Boxing, Shooting Range and Digger Doug (which had digitised speech and music on the 128k!) were all games I wrote myself. I also helped out with the coding on many other games and did work for Durell, Star Soft, CDS and Firebird (who my uncle worked for).

OK. Here we go..

Halls of Zatress - MIA (unlisted)

Centipod - Author - Julian Skelly

Zombie! - MIA (unlisted) - maybe Zombies!? Author - Andrew Esmond

Advanced Lawnmover Simulator - really??

Steve Davis Snooker - Author - Mike Lamb. - I'm not sure which 'original' snooker you refer to.

Penalty Shootout - MIA (unlisted)

Forest - Author - Graham T/ Relph

Big Boxing - MIA (unlisted)

Shooting Range - MIA (unlisted)

Digger Doug - MIA (unlisted)

In addition, Star Soft did two titles:

Froggy - Author Karl Brazier - MIA

Theif - Authors/Publishers - Ducky & Starsoft

Steve Davis Snooker 128k was written using most of the code drom the original 1984 CDS game which was written in Basic! The 128 version allowed name entries, had better sound and a cheat mode where you could turn all the ball into bumper cars.

MIA (unlisted). In addition, as has been pointed out, the original was not written in BASIC.

Have you ever figured that maybe I don't want my games to appear on WOS????

If you have denied distribution of your titles, feel free to PM me & I will get the denied status verified. However, denied titles are still listed in the WoS database - for example Codemasters

This thread has no offcially lost me. I don't even know who Duncan MacDonald is. Even if I did know, I don't think I'd care if Kizza was or was not this person. All the guy said was he wrote a couple of games here and there . Geez, he never claimed to be freakin' Clive Sinclair, or anything.

Y'all need to just chill.

-Ray

The point is Ray, that this guy may or may not be claiming the hard work of others. How would you feel if you created something only for others to take credit? As can be seen from the known titles above, the authors are all different. As for the unlisted MIA's - I won't be pushing to get them added to the database just yet :)

• Like 4

Its just amazing how some people can get so worked up about the rights of a few games written in Basic!!!!! :ponder:

The reason people get wound up is because you are seemingly claiming for work you simply haven't done. I couldn't give a rats arse how many versions of advanced lawnmower simulator there are - you claimed to write one. Then claimed it was a magazine cover tape.

The only one being written by YS.....

You also claimed to write SDS - which we know damn well was written by Mike Lamb.

Shows exactly how much you know about the program...

You claimed to have had games published. None of your titles are listed. So, who published them? What were the sales figures? Who did you work with?

I had a few on cover tapes on magazines and a few published by budget producers.

I never professed to be the greatest coder in the world for the spectrum or any other machine, I just wrote a few games that appeared on covertapes and budget labels

If you re-read my posts you will see it stated that I said that I merely helped to co-write many games

Now your starting to look silly....

I hardly profess to have coded Atic Attack or Dan Dare 3 for god sake . . . .

Not yet you haven't.......

Oh and thanks for all the cool PM's of support and a big don't bother to the few 0 post idiots trying to stir things up.

*sigh*

• Like 3

Erm you really are a bit sad arn't you? That is your first post and its flames for the sake of what?

When you have grown up, checked your facts and done your homework come back and see me. bye!

But fogartylee has already checked the facts! Here they are again for you ...

Halls of Zatress - MIA (unlisted)

Centipod - Author - Julian Skelly

Zombie! - MIA (unlisted) - maybe Zombies!?

Advanced Lawnmover Simulator - really??

Steve Davis Snooker - Author - Mike Lamb. - I'm not sure which 'original' snooker you refer to

Penalty Shootout - MIA (unlisted)

Forest - Author - Graham T/ Relph

Big Boxing - MIA (unlisted)

Shooting Range - MIA (unlisted)

Digger Doug - MIA (unlisted)

You really are digging a deeper hole for yourself. Do continue ...

Edited by Computer_Classics
  • Like 3