IGNORED

How do you store your loose carts?

godzillajoe

I'm certain this has been discussed but I couldn't find the thread so I'm starting a new one.

Currently I'm at 220 2600, 28 5200 and 18 7800 games

What I would like is to have a way to store them all near the TV in some kind of shelf or bookcase so I can have them all accessible instead of keeping most of them in a box in the closet and only having a handful of carts in a crate next to my 7800 and 5200.

Has anyone else figured out this problem? Is there something at Ikea that works or should I just buy a bookshelf for CDs? Have something custom built?

At best it would be about 2' wide and tall so I can tuck it into the corner

Ideas?

Since that's mainly what I collect, I have them all displayed in some nice faux-redwood bookshelves. I never saw the logic of paying all the extra money for cardboard. I just want to play the dang things. I do pick up boxed stuff if it's reasonable, though. They usually go on those DVD racks.

Mine are in plastic boxes with lids(so they can be stacked),with labels on one end letting me know which companies games are in which box.

I now have three of these boxes with Atari Age released games!

Two boxes are full, the third box is just getting filled with new games.

The only loose 2600 carts I have are Hack's & Homebrew's, but I keep them in this nice revolving cart holder I got off of ebay for only $20.00 and it can hold another 20 carts in the back.

:) :) :)

The console fits perfectly in a cubby on my entertainment center. I'm also using a shelf that my mom picked up at a yard sale. It works pretty nice but I have to scour my entire collection in order to find what I want. I've thought about using the organizer on top to store my most frequently played games, but that would violate my sense of organization. (everything's organized by manufacturer, the Atari carts are organized by sears, atari, text label, silver label, etc.)

I've thought about designing a custom case. My girlfriend's brother is a woodworker, but I'm not sure that would be very space efficent.

post-9927-1155173819_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1155173828_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1155173835_thumb.jpg

post-9927-1155173845_thumb.jpg

Ikea sells something thats perfect. I own two of them and will try to get some pics up for you soon. It's about 2' wide and revolves so you can hold games on both sides (I would suggest 2600 on one side 5200/7800 on the other) It has adjustable shelves and holds a few hundred carts easily. It might take a few days for me to dig them out, after I sold my NES collection I buried them upstairs somewhere (I keep my 2600 carts in a large lockable dresser style case with fold out doors) I was planing on getting them out anyways to start housing my mountain of ever growing commons and boxed 2600 games so this will help me get my ass in gear.

To do it up right you gotta go with the original modular storage cases they made back in the day. They are plastic with a faux woodgrain design. There are 2 designs I've ran across, a 1x4 and a 2x7 with space for instructions in the middle. You can make larger cubes of these by combining either 16 of the 1x4s (holds 64 carts) or 4 of the 2x7s (holds 56 carts). Here's a pic of 9 of these larger cubes filled with loose 2600/7800 games. The cubes are sitting in a makeshift bookshelf -- $75 of wood and hinges will do the trick. Makes for a good design and fills up empty walls nicely.

Gotta give credit to the wife; she did all the room measurements for the bookshelf, figured out what wood to buy and how to put it all together :D

post-384-1155176912_thumb.jpg

To do it up right you gotta go with the original modular storage cases they made back in the day. They are plastic with a faux woodgrain design. There are 2 designs I've ran across, a 1x4 and a 2x7 with space for instructions in the middle. You can make larger cubes of these by combining either 16 of the 1x4s (holds 64 carts) or 4 of the 2x7s (holds 56 carts). Here's a pic of 9 of these larger cubes filled with loose 2600/7800 games. The cubes are sitting in a makeshift bookshelf -- $75 of wood and hinges will do the trick. Makes for a good design and fills up empty walls nicely.

Gotta give credit to the wife; she did all the room measurements for the bookshelf, figured out what wood to buy and how to put it all together :D

post-384-1155176912_thumb.jpg

Excuse my language but that is the coolest F*ck*ng set up I've seen in a while. Those are all the original stackable cases you say? I might have to try that. :)

Actually, if you really want to see a cool loose cart setup, check out Rick Weis' pics. He has a whole wall of those original Atari corp stackable cart storage units. It's pretty amazing to see like a hundred of them on a wall.

Excuse my language but that is the coolest F*ck*ng set up I've seen in a while. Those are all the original stackable cases you say? I might have to try that. :)

Thanks! Yeah, those are the original stackable cases. There are actually 11 of those cubes on the wall, can't see them all in the pic. In total it took 80 of the 1x4 stackables and 24 of the 2x7 stackables to make them. The set up can hold 656 2600/7800/CV games. Xonox carts also fit nicely in the slot for instructions that's built into the 2x7s. ;)

Ikea sells something thats perfect. I own two of them and will try to get some pics up for you soon. It's about 2' wide and revolves so you can hold games on both sides (I would suggest 2600 on one side 5200/7800 on the other) It has adjustable shelves and holds a few hundred carts easily. It might take a few days for me to dig them out, after I sold my NES collection I buried them upstairs somewhere (I keep my 2600 carts in a large lockable dresser style case with fold out doors) I was planing on getting them out anyways to start housing my mountain of ever growing commons and boxed 2600 games so this will help me get my ass in gear.

Yeah I'd love to see this setup. And maybe a part number for the piece if it has one so I can look it up. I'm gonna check out the unfinished wood store down the street at lunch time and see what they have there. They custom build stuff too but that might be too expensive.

If anyone's interested, I have about 16-20 of the 2x7 interlocking stackables that I'm looking to get rid of--2 of which come in the original cardboard boxes they were sold in. I was going to do a big wall o' doom, but went with filling a tall, thin dresser from Target instead, which holds 420-441 games, depending on how you fit them in there.

Anyway, if anyone is looking for the stackables, make me an offer! :)

post-3788-1155234242_thumb.jpg

This is what we have, I believe it was at Meijer for $50 about two years ago. I've seen similar shelves since, media shelves. I even saw something similar at BigLots about a month ago. It's been working well, but we need another one soon, because our NES collection is growing pretty much every week.

post-841-1155236865_thumb.jpg