IGNORED

Texas Chainsaw Massacre proto?

Mr. Postman

we dont know anything about this guy, he could be anyone. i don't see why anyone would want to be anonymous about working on a few atari games that did not get released even?? did he do anything that was made

Actually I know quite a bit about him since we've exchanged several emails. I really don't care for your attitude, all you seem to do is demand prototypes be released and bug people about them when they're not. You're not endearing yourself to people here by acting this way.

The reason he wants to remain anonymous is that TCM and Flesh Gordon weren't exactly his proudest programming moments. He did them as a side job strictly for the money. Yes he worked on at least one 2600 game that was released, and he is quite proud of it (and rightfully so, it's a good game). I can't tell you what it was because then you could probably figure out who he was if I did and as I said he wants to remain anonymous. You'll just have to take my word for it, sorry if that isn't good enough for you.

Tempest

Actually I know quite a bit about him since we've exchanged several emails. I really don't care for your attitude, all you seem to do is demand prototypes be released and bug people about them when they're not. You're not endearing yourself to people here by acting this way.

The reason he wants to remain anonymous is that TCM and Flesh Gordon weren't exactly his proudest programming moments. He did them as a side job strictly for the money. Yes he worked on at least one 2600 game that was released, and he is quite proud of it (and rightfully so, it's a good game). I can't tell you what it was because then you could probably figure out who he was if I did and as I said he wants to remain anonymous. You'll just have to take my word for it, sorry if that isn't good enough for you.

Tempest

Flesh Gordon was completed? Did he ever tell you what the gameplay involved? ;)

Tempest

Flesh Gordon was completed? Did he ever tell you what the gameplay involved? ;)

A little, check up about 5 or 6 posts.

Tempest

Tempest there isn't a reason to be arrogant is there? I do not think there is any reason for your attitude either or why you are so secretive about things. You say you are going to release things but then months go bye and when another person asks about it again you get angry. You have alot of games but alot of them you won't share. You may be talking to the real programmer here but so far you have shown no proof.

Tempest there isn't a reason to be arrogant is there? I do not think there is any reason for your attitude either or why you are so secretive about things. You say you are going to release things but then months go bye and when another person asks about it again you get angry. You have alot of games but alot of them you won't share. You may be talking to the real programmer here but so far you have shown no proof.

BLarry71 Tempest has no reason to lie for he is the resident expert on this field. The guys who own or programmed these games trust him enough to share their thoughts and roms for if they ask him to keep their identities secret or their roms from public domain he will which is why he can share his findings of these precious titles on his site with the rest of us. Without Tempest we wouldn't have any knowledge of a great many games so cut him some slack and be a little patient ;)

Tempest there isn't a reason to be arrogant is there? I do not think there is any reason for your attitude either or why you are so secretive about things.

I'm sorry if the programmer asking to remain anonymous bugs you, but that was his wish. Like I said, he is quite proud of his one game and not so proud of the other two. I chose to share the information he told me rather than keep it to myself, and the only condition for this was that I not release his name. Obviously you can't handel that. Is there some reason you desperately need to know his name? If you can't handle the word anonymous then lets give him a fake name. Lets call him Frank Grimes then (Grimey to his friends). Does that make you feel better? :?

You say you are going to release things but then months go bye and when another person asks about it again you get angry. You have alot of games but alot of them you won't share.

There are only a small handful of prototype roms that I have not released to the public, and I have made very clear the reasons why I can't release them. In most cases people have loaned me prototypes so I can review or dump them, but don't want me to release the rom to the public until they're good and ready to release them. This is THEIR choice, not mine. I suppose I could break my word and release the roms anyway, but then no one would ever trust me again with their prototypes. The reason people send me prototypes is because over the past 10 years I have built up a large amount of trust and goodwill with the community. I have never broken my word, and people respect that. Once again, I'm sorry if this is something you cannot handle.

You may be talking to the real programmer here but so far you have shown no proof.

And why exactly would I lie about something like this? Have you noticed that you're the only person doubting me in this thread? Perhaps this is some lame attempt to get me to reveal the programmers name (and I'm still not sure why you want it), but it's not going to happen. Sorry. Feel free to continue not believing me though.

Tempest

Hey Tempest,

Thanks for sharing all the cool info, like I've said to you before....proto info interests me. :)

Blarry71-

I met Tempest at the MGC and even though he didn't have to he took the time to show me some cool proto's in his collection because I asked him and I will always remember that because it was a just a cool thing to do

I don't know if this means anything to you but I believe he means what he said to you in the previous posts. I think Tempest is an honest guy that likes to find cool and interesting new facts about proto's for the Atari community. You have to understand that even though proto's seem like old news Tempest still has to respect the wishes of people telling him possible classified info so Please don't ruin this for those of us who like to hear this stuff. The things you said can really slow the progress for the rest of us. In my Honest opinion I would say you owe him an apoligy but thats up to you. I really hope this post doesn't seem harsh but there is no need to attack him, at least that I can see.

Tempest you just lied when you say you would never release a game that you don't have permission to, you just released one a few weeks ago! so it seems if you cannot contact someone for a long enough time then its ok. oh and I still do not see any roms for downloading on your website. I askd about the red defender one you have in another thread somewhere as an example so please no need to lie about this. and it is questionible that somebody nobody knows would contact you out of the blue and tell you they did this or that and not offer any proof whatsoever. All you have is this persons email, yes? this person needs to prove to you and everyone that he did what he said he did, that seems only reasonable to me.

Tempest you just lied when you say you would never release a game that you don't have permission to, you just released one a few weeks ago! so it seems if you cannot contact someone for a long enough time then its ok.

Actually I never promised that person not to release the rom. In fact, I wasn't even involved in dumping it and never had any contact with him. He contacted another member of this board about dumping the rom for him and that person gave it to me to review (I'm not sure what kind of deal he worked out with the owner). I never released it because I wanted to ask the owner first as a courtesy. After awhile I honestly forgot about it until the thread was brought up again.

oh and I still do not see any roms for downloading on your website.

I don't have rom downloads on my site for legal reasons. It's not worth the risk. It's all there in the FAQ.

I askd about the red defender one you have in another thread somewhere as an example so please no need to lie about this.

Huh? :?

and it is questionible that somebody nobody knows would contact you out of the blue and tell you they did this or that and not offer any proof whatsoever .

Programmers and ex-game industry employees contact me 'out of the blue' all the time. They find my page and e-mail me about the reviews I do. I'd guess that they find my page because they're either doing internet searches on their name or on the name of one of the games they programmed (haven't you ever done a search on your name for fun?). This particular programmer found me in that very way. I'm sorry if you don't believe me, but what would I have to gain by lying about this? What would the programmer have to gain from lying about this?

All you have is this persons email, yes? this person needs to prove to you and everyone that he did what he said he did, that seems only reasonable to me

This person doesn't need to prove anything. He was kind enough to contact me and share some very interesting information (along with some wild stories about the games industry in the early 80's :D ). I believe everything he has told me (once again, what does he have to gain by lying?) and I wouldn't disrespect him by calling him a liar for absolutely no reason other than some the deranged accusations of a message board user. I generally don't make a habit of forcing every programmer who contacts me to prove their identity before I'll talk to them. No, that does not seem reasonable to me.

I'm not sure what your problem is with me or this programmer, but I suggest you seek professional help. You obviously have some trust issues that you need to deal with.

I've said all I'm going to say on this issue.

Tempest

• 1 month later...

Hello Tempest,

I just found this thread, to find out more about Wizard Games you should try to contact Charles Band:

http://www.charlesband.com/blog/

He does shows all thime time and he may be able to tell you about the Alternate Texas Chainsaw Game. Recently a friend of mine talked to him about Halloween and Texas Chainsaw and he said he thought the games were in the public domain, basically he has no interest in them anymore but you never know he may be willing to give you his side of the story on the alternate versions and Flesh Gordon. Also I understand if you can't do a dump of the cart but maybe someday you can make some better screen shots to post on your site or on the board I would like to see the Leatherface character upclose. I hope to make it to the VGXPO, see you there.

Thanks Tim

Edited by usinoh

Hello Tempest,

I just found this thread, to find out more about Wizard Games you should try to contact Charles Band:

He does shows all thime time and he may be able to tell you about the Alternate Texas Chainsaw Game. Recently a friend of mine talked to him about Halloween and Texas Chainsaw and he said he thought the games were in the public domain, basically he has no interest in them anymore but you never know he may be willing to give you his side of the story on the alternate versions and Flesh Gordon. Also I understand if you can't do a dump of the cart but maybe someday you can make some better screen shots to post on your site or on the board I would like to see the Leatherface character upclose. I hope to make it to the VGXPO, see you there.

Thanks Tim

Are you saying he has the alternate version of the game? That's the big problem, not the permission, but the fact that no one knows where the prototype is!

And I'm not sure they are public domain. The company that programmed the games for Wizard is still around today, although I'm not allowed to say who it is.

Tempest

Hello Tempest,

Thanks Tim

Are you saying he has the alternate version of the game? That's the big problem, not the permission, but the fact that no one knows where the prototype is!

And I'm not sure they are public domain. The company that programmed the games for Wizard is still around today, although I'm not allowed to say who it is.

Tempest

Sorry if I was unclear, I don't know if he has an alternate version or not but he may be able to fill in a few blanks if he remembers or cares enough to talk about them, from what I gather he is kind of a jerk but you never know.

Good to know:

The alternate TCM proto is in the hands of an Atari collector (he bought it off eBay). The ROM has been dumped, so it won't be lost. The owner - who wants to remain anonymous (so he won't get harrassed; no, it's not me) - was planning on releasing it in some nice way (with a label and manual, perhaps a box), but real life got in the way. Maybe he'll get to it later. So, it's safe, there's no need to despair that it will be lost for ever :)

Cheers,

Marco