IGNORED

The skinny on Skyhammer

backinjag

I just recently got back into the Jaguar after having sold it in disgust way back when due to lack of new games coming, the JTS merger, etc. I missed some of those classic Jag games from time to time, and I had a lot of the good ones back then (AvP, Tempest 2K, Defender 2K, Missile Command 3D, Super Burnout and Iron Soldier to name a few).

I'm recollecting the games of old that I know (and they're pretty much as I remembered them) but I sold my Jaguar long before games like Battlesphere (which I know I'll never get thanks to the incredibly exhorbitant prices it fetches on eBay) or the Songbird and Telegames offerings came out.

I've read reviews on Skyhammer, and there are basically two types:

1) It's a great game hands down

2) It's a great game for the Jag, but it's been surpassed on various platforms since.

I enjoy the Jag because it has unique games not found anywhere else (or in the case of T2K, found elsewhere in inferior form). I would considering plunking down $80 if Skyhammer is truly a great, unique game. Rebellion's other offering, AvP, has been redone in sequels on more powerful platforms, but its quality, pacing, and downright scariness are still unmatched. So is Skyhammer another great Jag game in that vein, something that you really can't get elsewhere? Or is it a quality game for its time that pales in comparison to today's space shooters?

I realize this is subjective, but I'd appreciate any input by you Skyhammer owners out there. Thanks, and it's good to see there's still an active Jaguar community out there after all these years...

Supposedly Skyhammer is a lot like G-Police on the Playstation, though I've never played G-Police so I can't give you a comparision.

Or is it a quality game for its time that pales in comparison to today's space shooters?

I don't know if I'd call Skyhammer a space shooter. A better characterization of it might be a fly-though-the-city shooter. I'm probably splitting hairs, but since you've never played it I don't want you to get the wrong idea of what the game is about.

I enjoy Skyhammer primarily for its moody atmospherics. A number of gamers have compared it favourably with the environment of the movie Blade Runner, and this is not an inappropriate comparison.

Skyhammer isn't for all tastes, but you'll probably enjoy it if you like complex shooters. IMO the best shooter for the Jag is BattleMorph, but you'll need the CD add-on for that. :)

Edited by davidcalgary29

How's the longevity? Is it a deep game, or a long one?

It's has all three, in my opinion. It has two types of gameplay (mission and battle), and huge cities (I think three cities total). I've never finished it, and I doubt very many people have, at least without using any cheats -- so that gives you some idea of the scope of the game. Like AVP, it's tough as nails.....but keeps you coming back for more...

Edited by else

I was leaning towards a purchase; I think I will end up getting Skyhammer. The fact that you compare the longevity of Skyhammer to AvP is encouraging, as I want a deep game for my 80 ducats, and it sounds plenty deep.

I'd heard the blade runner comparisons before, and that's a good thing as well:)

Thanks for the input guys; it's good to get some gamer input into purchases rather than relying on reviews.

It does lock up occasionally, but I haven't ever heard that it can't be beat.

backinjag: Don't get too concerned about the lockups. They only happen very occasionally, and as long as you save your game after each mission it's not a big problem. Don't let it affect your purchase decision. Just remember to SAVE AFTER EACH MISSION.

backinjag: Don't get too concerned about the lockups. They only happen very occasionally, and as long as you save your game after each mission it's not a big problem. Don't let it affect your purchase decision. Just remember to SAVE AFTER EACH MISSION.

Thanks for the tip. I had read about the lockups and was a little concerned. Good to hear it doesn't ruin the game. I guess you can't expect a bug-free game when you have a small group of people finishing a game started by another company.

I had also heard that the game is tough without the Pro Controller (as mentioned above). That seems to be the consensus. I'd like to pick up a pro controller at some point, assuming the shoulder buttons can be configured for straifing in Doom and Wolf 3D.

Reading about Lock-Ups another Songbird Release from that time came to my mind: Hyper Force!

Now this is a game I really enjoyed! Have you played it already?

I have always been a great Run'n'Gun Fan and Hyper Force is imo a really great game. It needs some time to get used to because it's pretty tough and you have to move on very carefully to get through. Also the atmosphere is very deep and the soundtrack is pushing you further and further. Imo a must have title for every Jag Fan. But it also locks up quite often (I think much more often than Skyhammer)

Yep, Hyperforce is another super game. I played it from start to finish -- with no cheats. It's top-notch -- and another Jaguar exclusive!

I don't recall the game ever locking up on me, though. It's been about 5 years since I played it, so I could be forgetting. Or maybe I seem to recall that it would sometimes lock up when you were saving the game? I think the way to get around this was by simply alternating between the three save slots. I could be thinking of a different game -- my memory is foggy. Whatever the case, I don't recall it being a big deal.

Hyperforce is definitely my kind of game; I love run'n'gun. How does it stand up to some of the classics (i.e. Gunstar Heroes, Contra, etc.?).

I'd definitely get this if it were cheaper, but somehow, I can justify spending $80 on a 3d shooter that pushes the Jag to its limits, rather than for a 2d run'n'gun (of which there were so many that were done well in the 16-bit era).

Again, can't compare it to Gunstar or Contra. But Hyperforce is more of a "explore the buildings, find the switches, kill the bad guys" kinda game. It's not a fast paced kinda game like a Sonic or Mario game is. There's not much running involved. Pretty much all walking.

Edited by else

That clarifies the game for me a bit; I was under the impression it was more pure run'n'gun. For sidescrollers, I'd like to pick up Zool 2. It sounds like an excellent platformer, is unique to the Jag, and seems fairly inexpensive. And I've never played it before, so it will be a "new" game for me:)

'nother skyhammer owner here, just piping in to let you know that the game is longgg and deeeeeeeeep and plays great. I too reccomend the pro pad, tho u can play it and enjoy it without, it is a lot better with. Hyperforce is about psygnosis normal platform shooter quality (think baal,) not as good as their laster stuff like beast 3 or leander. Nowhere remotely near gunstar.

Skyhammer , however, is imho, one of the top jag games, period.

That clarifies the game for me a bit; I was under the impression it was more pure run'n'gun. For sidescrollers, I'd like to pick up Zool 2. It sounds like an excellent platformer, is unique to the Jag, and seems fairly inexpensive. And I've never played it before, so it will be a "new" game for me:)

IMO the only outstanding Jag platformer is Rayman: excellent stuff.

There are plenty of Zool 2 fans here but, for my money, the underrated Soccer Kid has provided me with the most play value. It's obviously not going to be on your shopping list if you have it for another system, though.

I have reacquired a copy of Rayman; not only is that the best platformer for the Jag, but it's one of the best platformers period, IMHO. The graphics blow the doors off anything from the 16-bit era, and are probably the best that the 32-bit era had to offer. And the gameplay is excellent, although I remember it's nearly impossible to find all the little guys that you need to free on each level.

'nother skyhammer owner here, just piping in to let you know that the game is longgg and deeeeeeeeep and plays great. I too reccomend the pro pad, tho u can play it and enjoy it without, it is a lot better with. Hyperforce is about psygnosis normal platform shooter quality (think baal,) not as good as their laster stuff like beast 3 or leander. Nowhere remotely near gunstar.

Skyhammer , however, is imho, one of the top jag games, period.

Nice to know I can go without the pro pad; I'll get one eventually, but want to save my pennies for Skyhammer first:) It sounds like one of the Jag's "killer apps" (esp if you like that kind of game, which I do).

I can probably wait on Hyperforce and Zool:)

• 8 years later...

Had my first game of Skyhammer last night. The graphics are amazing, it definitely outdoes a great number of N64 titles..

The gameplay seemed good as well, with decent controls reminiscent of hover strike or I war with the addition of the ability to change altitude. The radar is a little hard to read at first, and it can be a little hard to find enemies since your not sure what altitude they are at and the levels are pretty deep. I wasn't able to beat the first mission but I just gave it a quick go, I feel like when I have more time to commit I'll slowly be able to start chugging through the levels as I get a better feel for the city and the controls of the ship.

Is there an ability to strafe with the normal controller? Pondering busting out the pro controller for this one...

Excellent game and definitely a keeper!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...