IGNORED

New Atari ad

spider-ham

Hi Spider-Ham,

Have you actually seen an advertisement for this game? If so, I'd be interested in taking a look at it myself just to see how they're pushing the Atari brand. I noticed the box artwork for Splashdown features an Atari fuji symbol in the background, I missed that the first time around. I wonder if that's going to be a common theme (I haven't see the MX Rider artwork yet).

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Nateo:

The latest issue of GamePro has three Atari ads in it. The first one you see has Atari written all over it (litterally). But just the first one. The other ads don't even mention the Atari name.

I scanned the two ads that appeared in PSM this month:

Atari Playstation 2 Ads from PSM

Do those two ads look like the two in GamePro that don't mention Atari?

..Al

Why do they replace the "A" with a Fuji in the lead line ("ACTION", "ATTACK") but the corporate logos at the bottom only list the ESRB rating, the PS2 logo, and the Infogrames armadillo. No Atari name to be found, not even in the copyright/trademark notices in the fine print at the bottom.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Mindfield ]

I went to the Web Sites shown on the ads.

The one for Splashdown doesn't even mention Atari, but the MX Rider one's front page is heavy on the ol' Fuji.

MX Rider

It's also interesting to note that the Site says "Atari is a registered trademark." It doesn't say registered to whom.

Maybe they don't even know for sure.

I bet the decision to label both of these games was done at the last minute, close to the end of development. By this time, much of the work for the box artwork, advertisements, website, are already done, or at lest nearing completion. I bet they had to scramble to figure out how to work the Atari name and logo into these advertisements, box, and websites. What's worse is they'll have to incorporate it somehow into the game, although that may just mean another splash screen with the Atari name/logo, and perhaps a small Fuji symbol on the game's title screen.

As for the lack of a proper trademark message, the artists responsible for this artwork probably didn't get the correct wording from the Infogrames' legal department in time.

You have to wonder how the teams developing these games feel about their titles being released under the Atari brand. If the games were developed out of house (quite likely with Infogrames) then it'll detract attention from their own company. Certainly they weren't developed by any existing Atari entity.

..Al

The thing is, they obviously caught the Splashdown and MX Rider ads in time to stick the Fuji in there rather unceremoniously at the top. That being the case, why didn't they take the extra 5 minutes a piece to replace the Infogrames armadillo with the Atari logo and name, and add the Atari trademark/copyright at the bottom? And believe me, that's all it would have taken. I've done typesetting and printing. The only reason I could see for the oversight is that the typesetters (assuming it wasn't done in-house) either didn't recieve additional artwork for these things, or simply forgot to do them. Or perhaps they took the wrong proofs out for line shots before sending them off to the printers. And I could only see this being the case if Infogrames had sent both ads out at the same time, as the oversight is consistent through both ads. That leads me to believe Infogrames didn't have the artwork for the Atari name and logo (apart from the Fuji) and didn't change the fine print to reflect it.

As for the website -- well, honestly. How long does it take to change a website? That's even easier than making changes to a print proof. I have a feeling that they're just rushing it all and have completely overlooked such details in the process. We'll probably know more with the next ads we see from them.