IGNORED

Cartridge shell demand

Zonie

62 members have voted

1. 1. Is there an interest in a run of cart shells? Which type?

• NES

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Folks,

I have had some discussions with a few users here privately. There seems to be a demand for cart shells. The AA store appears to be running low on stock of 2600 units as well.

I am in the plastics fabrication business, and was thinking of throwing my hat in the ring and making a run of shells.

I would like to hear from you all to guage interest. The three in the poll are what appear to be what are desired. This started in the 5200 thread.

If there is enough interest, I'll poll for color choices next. The idea is to keep costs down, and high quantities and basic black shells will do that.

When I get some costing put together, I'll start another poll for price point. I am not looking to make any money at this, just cover my costs and help the hobby along.

thanks

I wasn't aware that anyone was actually selling homebrew NES games? :ponder:

I wasn't either. Some one asked about them.

As for the 2600 - 7800 thing, I would make the shells like latest standard 2600 carts, or similar to activision cart shells, but with more rounded corners to fit the later consoles.

Also, I have had inquiry about 8-bit shells too.

I wasn't aware that anyone was actually selling homebrew NES games? :ponder:

http://www.nesreproductions.com/

Granted no one is currently making circut boards yet, but new cases would be nicer than scrapping old labels off originals. And no funky faded colors either.

Edited by video game addict

I would have to say 5200 shells since nobody currently makes them yet. I don't think anybody makes the NES ones either, but Super Mario Bros right now are easy to come by. Which by the way brings up my next label coming out (sometime in the future). I will be making self-stick/print labels for ColecoVision carts and NES carts. I will probably take a poll sometime in the near future myself wihch one first as tooling is a killer.

Corey

I happen to like translucent shells myself (2600).

Them too. :) ohh,a 5200 clear shell would be the bomb :lust:

And it was me that asked about NES cases cause grey is boring and there is already 800+ grey NES games. There is about 10 homebrews for the NES and I dunno how many hacks but there is alot. IT would be fun to have new shells to put them in just to get away from that flat grey monotany.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Make it the normal label size :)

Normal label size on the side, with a slot for an end label.

Sounds awesome. I think the end label should go on the end though. Make it routed out like the 2600 shells are for the end label, I think the long end labels look too cool not to have a sport to use them. Heck do both on the same mold so its user preferance!!

5200 clear shells :drool:

If you're going to make 5200 shells, I think you ought to talk with Bill Hogue / Big Five Software to see what he's looking for so that he can make a BBSB re-release already.

We (3 people) approached Bill about 2 years ago, in order to re-release BBSB, he stated loud and clearly that he had no intention of ever doing that. :ponder:

5200 commons are easy enough to get and demand for 5200 shells will never be very high.

There are plenty of new and used 2600 shells available too.

If nobody is making NES shells then from a business or even a break even perspective, i would say hit that first.

Steve

If you're going to make 5200 shells, I think you ought to talk with Bill Hogue / Big Five Software to see what he's looking for so that he can make a BBSB re-release already.

We (3 people) approached Bill about 2 years ago, in order to re-release BBSB, he stated loud and clearly that he had no intention of ever doing that. :ponder:

Didn't Bill later say he wanted to make the carts himself? Someone did an interview with him last year where he mentioned this I thought.

Allan

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How much does it cost to make a mold?

10K?

Much less.

Is this an injection mold and in what country would this be made? I had one done in Vietnam for $15,000 for 2 cavity molds, but the item was much more complex than a cart. It had 5 distinct parts. The quote I got in Texas was about $130,000 for a 2+2 cavity mold. I would say making a mold to produce carts is a hard proposition. You will never make enough units to justify the outlay for the mold.

On the other hand, if you could find out who has Atari's old molds, you could get them produced, shipped and pay the import fees for probably under $1 a unit. To get that unit price you may have to buy a container load. Much more doable, but who will put down enough for a container and hold all that inventory? If the mold is in the US, lower quantities may be cheaper since we would not have to buy a container full.

Zonie, what unit price were you shooting for?