IGNORED

Am I the only one who couldn't stomach Kingdom Hearts?

Granted, I don't play too many newer games, least of all newer RPGs (although I do like them). But, a few months back, I borrowed this game from a friend, and started playing it, only to stop before I ever really did anything, because the Diz-nee overtones were too much for me. The nail in the coffin was the "Gummi ship." I understand that a lot of people clearly LOVE this game, everyone I've talked to seems to love it, and the sequel, and the gameboy games, etc... Like maybe this is "teh best game EVAR!!!!!1"

Am I missing something? Do you really have to love Disney and Square to get this?

Technically, I also found the introduction level tedious, and the battle system was difficult to get used to. I also really, really, REALLY hated that Gummi Ship, mostly because it was called the "Gummi Ship" but also because there was some kind of horrible manditory arcade-ish sequence in order to travel in something called a "Gummi Ship".

Now, if there really is something GREAT AND REDEEMING in this game that I missed, I'd probably give it another try...but I just don't see what the fuss was all about.

This is why I stick to puzzle games. :)

Am I the only one who couldn't stomach Kingdom Hearts?

No, I find it vile. But then again, I really can't stand most JRPG little kid / big head / bishonen adventures. And the Disney 'contribution' ? Yuck :woozy:

At times it feels like MOST japanese games use that god awful style. Obviously their are many that don't but lets work on getting that even less.

I didn't like KH either. I didn't like the battle system, the camera sucked, the Gummi Ship sucked (and lacked the characters from the awesome Gummi Bears cartoon from the late 80's by Disney) and I don't care what anyone else says the FF/Disney is just weird and on the verge of stupid. I also have the feeling that Disney is handcuffing what Square can do with the game.

They did it all for the nookie

You see girls like that Disney stuff, especially the band-geek low self esteem having type. You get em sucked into the Kingdom Hearts like its Days of Our Lives and next thing you know they're on the road to cosplay. Yep they're sewing some gaudy frock and saving up their Subway paychecks to go make the scene at the next Cosplay con. You know where that leads, adjoining rooms at the Days Inn outside of Toronto just down the road from the convention center...next thing you know Riku is getting to 3rd base with Kairi in the after-show cuddle puddle, see how that works?

cloudconvention.jpg

They did it all for the nookie

You see girls like that Disney stuff, especially the band-geek low self esteem having type. You get em sucked into the Kingdom Hearts like its Days of Our Lives and next thing you know they're on the road to cosplay. Yep they're sewing some gaudy frock and saving up their Subway paychecks to go make the scene at the next Cosplay con. You know where that leads, adjoining rooms at the Days Inn outside of Toronto just down the road from the convention center...next thing you know Riku is getting to 3rd base with Kairi in the after-show cuddle puddle, see how that works?

cloudconvention.jpg

Okay, if I see one more person wrap Cloud's sword with toilet paper I am going to stab them in the fucking face. The reason it's on there is because the retard-asses at disney thought it would be funny for the little ones if they wrapped a roll of toilet paper around cloud's fucking sword :x

Anyway, I thought the disney thing was very unbearable, but since I LOVE the gameplay I just tried to ignore all the disney shit.

Edited by narutofan

Anyway, I thought the disney thing was very unbearable, but since I LOVE the gameplay I just tried to ignore all the disney shit.

See, it was more the gameplay that turned me off. I flat out did not like having to juggle menus at the SAME TIME as actively fighting. I also hated the lock-on because it wasn't a promise that the camera would follow (as in Zelda-ish games)

I thought the Gummi ship as a means of navigating the "world map" was a complete and utter misery. Pointless and mandatory arcade sequences where you fight gelatin and legos is not my ideal way to spend five, ten or fifteen minutes. I understand that later in the game you get the ability to warp, but, frankly, this ability should have been offered immediately if they wanted to keep me in the game. Also, in an otherwise slick and beautiful game (graphically), the Gummi sequence looked like StarFox.

I could have dealt with the rest of the disney cowplop if we didn't have to revolve the whole thing around Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. These have to be my least favorite characters in the history of everything, and historically, mixing classic-style cartoons with 'real' people (if you consider the FF-style folks to be the element of reality here) has been pretty risky. It can work out ok (Who Framed Roger Rabbit?) or it can go horribly, horribly wrong (SpaceJam!?) Here I just don't think it works, and, I would have preferred a Disney RPG to be made using ONLY the Disney elements, similar to the way Mario RPG was handled on the SNES.

And this is all assuming I felt the basic game was playable, which it wasn't, at least for me. After I went "Oh, look, it's Cid" and "Wow, this game looks nice" I was done.

Yeah, I went out and bought the second too. They handled the graphices with the whole style of animation pretty well, but there was way too much disney. The previews made it look like there would be less, but, unfortunately NO. Gummi ship is also better in the second. I saw the preview for the third, and supposedly, there's gonna be a 'war of the keyblades'. FINALLY!! I'm sick of fighting these stupid little freaks that jump on me and wave their arms around. I loved fighting real people in the game. I think another thing they need to do in the third one is fix the reaction commands (for those of you who don't know what that is; it's this thing where you go into a special sequence such as dodging between falling boulders, then pulling off a combo and smacking the guy really hard, and how it works is you just press triangle whenenver it pops up, but, you could just mash triangle, since it only had that button) to something were you have to use all four buttons instead of just masshing on one. If they can make the third, just kick disney the hell out of it, slap a T or M rating on it, fix the reation command, and make more people fights, it would probably be my favorite game ever. Unfortunatley, I don't see that happening.