IGNORED

Wii Star Trek game idea

carpecarne

I was looking at the Wii-mote and the way it's held reminded me of the phasers from ST:TNG and then it hit me...

"Star Trek: red-shirt ensign commando"

Basically, it's all about being the first (expendable) group to be beamed to and to sweep through hostile planets/spaceships. The Wii-mote is used as a phaser (switching from stun to kill is done via the d-pad) and also as a tricorder sensor. What would be even cooler would be to have DS compatibility and you could use that as your tricorder, giving you information and also doubling as a radar.

Co-op would be interesting as well.

Anyway, what do you think?

I was also thinking that since the weapons in star trek are rather boring (basically phasers and proton torpedoes), it would be more exploration/adventure than FPS based. You have to remember the prime directive and not kill everything you see - have what you do add or subtract points which promotes you up the ranks until you get a yellow shirt or something. Add bits of humor here and there, some inside trekkie jokes. Could be cool.

I think that the poking out arm with weapon in hand in almost every first person game should go. If you think about it, the way the wii works, it's not even necessary.

Edited by carpecarne

To play this proposed game the way it's obviously meant to be played would require that each player has a DS system to make use of a tricorder... unless there's an online voice-chat function that allows only one member of the away team to use a tricorder and inform the others of his tricorder readings verbally. Or else the tricoder guy could be a NPC.

It's a rather interesting idea that could be expanded greatly to include hundreds of players playing online, each player being a Starfleet officer serving on a starship, not necessarily the Enterprise... :)

well, maybe the ds is an optional thing. If you don't have one, then a portion of your TV screen is dedicated to tricorder readings. A popup so to speak. The ds would be one of those gimmicky things. But since the DS has a microphone and the ability to plug in a headset microphone, perhaps this could initiate voice chat.

Then again, having a DS, a DS headset, and waving your arms around would look a bit cumbersome and dorky.

Then again...you know those star trek fans...

Edited by carpecarne

Then again, having a DS, a DS headset, and waving your arms around would look a bit cumbersome and dorky.

Then again...you know those star trek fans...

Worrying about how dorky a Star Trek fan will look while playing an interactive Star Trek game is like worrying about getting your clothes wet when you put them in the washing machine.

*misses watching ST:TNG every night*

I was looking at the Wii-mote and the way it's held reminded me of the phasers from ST:TNG and then it hit me...

"Star Trek: red-shirt ensign commando"

Basically, it's all about being the first (expendable) group to be beamed to and to sweep through hostile planets/spaceships. The Wii-mote is used as a phaser (switching from stun to kill is done via the d-pad) and also as a tricorder sensor. What would be even cooler would be to have DS compatibility and you could use that as your tricorder, giving you information and also doubling as a radar.

Co-op would be interesting as well.

Anyway, what do you think?

I think it sounds like you've been playing The Fallen.

Or Elite Force.

Fallen had the tricorder action, Elite Force had the plot(Except! You're a red shirt WITH ARMOR!).

I was also thinking that since the weapons in star trek are rather boring (basically phasers and proton torpedoes), it would be more exploration/adventure than FPS based.

Fallen had signifigant adventure elements.

Both games added the traditional "pick up dead guy weapons" element for some firepower diversity.

I think that the poking out arm with weapon in hand in almost every first person game should go. If you think about it, the way the wii works, it's not even necessary.

I'd go more the other direction.

Red Steel's making the arm change posture in respect to wand orientation, so you can hold your gun sideways, tip it up, or whatever. Essentially make it mirror your actions instead of just floating there static.

Oooh, maybe even add a whole body model so you can see your feet when you look down!

And removing the gun arm would hurt realism. You see your hand and gun when you're using one.

Yes, I know Trek hurts realism by definition, but there's no reason to add insult to injury.

Actually, I have never heard of the Fallen nor Elite Force before. I might have to check that out. I see I'm not the only one with great ideas... :-D

Well, when I was theorizing about removing the arm/weapon model, it was because you already see you real arm holding the wii remote. With keyboard/mice and controller set ups, this does add a nice touch of realism. However, since the wii is set up to give you that sense of freedom and liberty (like holding a gun) the arm isn't needed. Kinda like Lethal Enforcers or Virtua Cop.

You know, I hate to go off topic but I think the Wii could revive the on-rails shooter. No one would need to buy an extra peripheral, the wiimote is all you need.

It's little things like that that get me excited about nintendo's new console.

Actually, I have never heard of the Fallen nor Elite Force before. I might have to check that out. I see I'm not the only one with great ideas... :-D

They're both older PC titles.

The Fallen was a DS9 game that sued the Unreal engine. Or Unreal Tournament. One or the other.

Elite Force was a Voyager FPS using the Quake 3 engine. It's fairly good IMO.

There was an Elite Force 2 that WASN'T Voyager-based, but I've never played that one.

Well, when I was theorizing about removing the arm/weapon model, it was because you already see you real arm holding the wii remote. With keyboard/mice and controller set ups, this does add a nice touch of realism. However, since the wii is set up to give you that sense of freedom and liberty (like holding a gun) the arm isn't needed. Kinda like Lethal Enforcers or Virtua Cop.

But on the other hand, you aren't holding your "real" weapon in the Wii Wand. And that arm is sitting outside the game world.

IMO, it only works for gun games because the world is static.

You know, I hate to go off topic but I think the Wii could revive the on-rails shooter. No one would need to buy an extra peripheral, the wiimote is all you need.

Mmmm... good point. People would be more attracted to Time Crisis-type stuff if they didn't have to eat the cost of a GunCon with the game.

I never bought a few GunCon games because there wasn't a game-only release, and the bundles refused to come down in price.

But Panzer Dragoon had trouble coming back, and it's always used the standard controller.