IGNORED

How many lynx games do you have?

ganonbanned

Seriously, how does someone "homebrew" Lynx carts? Seems like a cost-prohibitive endeavour.

It is not that expensive to make small series of your own carts. You just need a freeware version of the Eagle CAD-program. There is even a Lynx empty cart component available. Once your cart is ready you send it to a PCB manufacturing shop, pay something and receive the cart back in the mail. But the price of one homebrew cart depends a lot on the volume. Making just one cart costs around 50 while making 500 of them would be around 10 each.

If anyone would allow me some hosting space on a website somewhere, I'd be happy to post pictures of what they look like. (Er, and actually tell me how to post pictures here... :roll: )

That is easy. When you press Reply to this message there is a Browse button by which you look for your image. Once you find it click on Add This Attachment.

To put it in your post click on Add into Post.

You will see a text "attachmentid=63261" in brackets. That is where the image will come in your post. Like this.

post-2099-1162436038_thumb.png

An image of a homebrew Lynx cart from Eagle.

Cheers,

Karri

Edited by karri

Okay, let's give 'er a try...

post-1517-1162661263_thumb.jpg

Well, lookit that! Cool! Thanks for the help; I've always wondered how that worked.

Anyway, that's the AvP I got from the auction, in comparison to the one I bought last year from B&C. (Forgive the quality... I really, REALLY hate this Fuji camera.) The finish on the auction cart isn't quite as dull as the pic shows.

I'll post more pics of these carts in the thread that more closely matches the topic.

Cheers,

Smeg

These new carts (left picture) seem to be single sided pcb's with no through plated holes or gold plated connectors. These are really supercheap to make if you don't count the manual labour of adding in the wires.

As long as the carts don't violate anybodys rights to the games it is ok.

--

Karri

I really like the way the ones from your auction win look like. They look more prototype-ish to me... kind of cool!

And to get Raiden cheap!!!!! That's what I'm striving for.

What's the difference between the Lynx version of Raiden and the Turbo Grafx version???? Just curious!

try it on the emulators you will see

raiden is a vert orient game like klax or nfl and you are familiar with the largeness of the pixels on the lynx

realistically its probably cheaper to get a nomad and raiden trad than a lynx and raiden

unless you dont mind a frankenstein cart

how safe are the proto cards with that chip hanging out in the elements no protection from static or garbage

unless you dont mind a frankenstein cart

how safe are the proto cards with that chip hanging out in the elements no protection from static or garbage

These new carts (left picture) seem to be single sided pcb's with no through plated holes or gold plated connectors. These are really supercheap to make if you don't count the manual labour of adding in the wires.

Karri

Yup, no gold to speak of... all silver. When you say "no protection form static/garbage" could that be why the AvP arrived non-working? Maybe it got a shock or sumthin? Again, the guy said he'd replace it, which might also be a clue as to it's cheapness to produce. I asked if he wanted the non-working cart back and have not received a reply.

I'll have to be extra careful with these carts, not tugging on the chip, etc.

Smeg

How do you store extra Lynx games? My carry case was designed for 12 and I have around 50 total games so most of the extra ends up in one small compartment of the case but it seems a bit disorganized.

Just use those clear plastic GB card holders; they're nearly a perfect fit. They do seem to be getting harder to find, though.

Just use those clear plastic GB card holders; they're nearly a perfect fit. They do seem to be getting harder to find, though.

Hmmm... I picked up 2 boxes of 6 packs of multicolored GB cases that were sold under Nyko brand but exactly the same as official Nintendo version. The last 2 I found at a local Meijer for $1.00 each (they originally sold for $9.99 and were hard to find due to demand). :D so I have a total of 12 cases to clean up my pile 'o carts.

• 3 weeks later...

Over the past couple of weeks I've been playing my Lynx again (mostly Qix and Jimmy Connors Tennis) and pining for more software, reading many of Robert Jung's Lynx game reviews. I'm waiting for the following Lynx stuff to arrive:

A used Lynx II!

Checkered Flag

Chip's Challenge

European Soccer Challenge

Ishido

Klax

Shanghai

Super Squeek

Ultimate Chess

Once Songbird (re?)stocks the Alpine Games Bonus Cart, I'll get that, too.

I hope you used a set of headphones cranked all the way up the first time you played Klax!

The intro music in that game rocks! Love the bass in it!

-Rick