IGNORED

HSC Season 4 Week 19: Road Runner

Ze_ro

Important Note - This week's contest is over, and no further scores will be accepted. However, if you still wish to discuss Road Runner, feel free to do so in this thread.

Just another day zipping around the desert, pecking at seeds and dodging the occasional truck. Suddenly, who should appear on the horizon but your old adversary Wile E. Coyote™! He may not be the shrewdest predator you've ever dealt with, but he is certainly the most persistent. Wile E. will try just about anything to catch you. Despite your speed, you're not completely impervious to his devious tricks, nor to the hazards of the desert highway. You'll need to watch out for oncoming trucks, dodge cannonballs and falling rocks, and leap over lethal land mines and cliffs. So rev up your engine, and get on your mark. The race is about to begin!

Game Information

• Game Name: Road Runner
  • Released By: 1989, Atari
  • Left Difficulty: N/A?
  • Right Difficulty: N/A?
  • Game Mode: Game 1
  • Chosen By: vdub_bobby

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores is Thursday, September 7th at 1:30 AM (CST).

If you want to suggest a game for future weeks, please send me a private message and let me know! I will add your game to the list. One one game per person will be kept on the list, so you will not be able to suggest a game until your first game is played!

Anyone can play! Just post a score and I'll add you to the list! Please read the Rules & Information if you haven't already done so!

Current High Scores

1. 335,100 (rjchamp3) [+11]
  2. 87,900 (Deteacher) [+10]
  3. 81,200 (LarcenTyler) [+9]
  4. 78,800 (SpiceWare) [+8]
  5. 73,200 (Rom Hunter) [+7]
  6. 72,200 (Cybergoth) [+6]
  7. 62,300 (Malc74) [+5]
  8. 57,300 (BrianC) [+4]
  9. 47,000 (keilbaca) [+3]
  10. 41,100 (phaxda) [+2]
  11. 37,200 (theKLT) [+1]
  12. 33,600 (atari2600land) [+1]
  13. 17,500 (Goochman) [+1]

Best Tips

• Deteacher [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• None yet posted

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Difficulty B)
  1. 2,038,100 (Scott Stilphen)
  2. 105,300 (Jeffrey D. Lowe, Jr)
  3. 72,200 (Robert Macauley)

Current Standings

1. Rom Hunter [186]
  2. keilbaca [151]
  3. SpiceWare [127]
  4. vdub_bobby [84]
  5. LarcenTyler [73]
  6. shawnb [71]
  7. BrianC [71]
  8. scogey [49]
  9. Deteacher [48]
  10. the 5th ghost [46]
  11. Malc74 [43]
  12. theKLT [36]
  13. 128bytes [34]
  14. Jred [26]
  15. Goochman [23]
  16. Cybergoth [22]
  17. SeaGtGruff [21]
  • Lord Helmet [19]
  • Christophero Sly [17]
  • phaxda [17]
  • Random Terrain [15]
  • Lord Thag [15]
  • doctorclu [14]
  • Nathan Strum [12]
  • shadow460 [11]
  • ResOGlas [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [11]
  • Gabriel [8]
  • atari2600land [8]
  • Hiryu [7]
  • supercat [5]
  • Omegamatrix [1]
  • Dan Iacovelli [1]
  • ewing92 [1]
Scoring Points Road Runner
  • Eating a pile of birdseed - 100 points
  • Eating steel shot - 100 points
  • Getting Wile E. hit bby a mine (cannonball, rock, etc.) - 200 points
  • Getting Wile E. hit by a truck - 1000 points
  • Note: The first pile of birdseed the Road Runner eats is worth 100 points. The point value of each successive pile of birdseed eaten thereafter increases by 100 points, up to a maximum of 1000 points per pile of birdseed. But if you miss eating a pile of birdseed, the point value of the next pile of birdseed the Road Runner does eat is 100 points.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual. In case you don't have the manual, AtariAge has a typed copy and a scanned copy of it available. Here are the tips it provides:

- You must keep running to the left to avoid the coyote, while watching out for the other hazards along the desert highway. If you double back, you can catch Wile E. off guard.

- Time your jumps carefully, and use them strategically to avoid Wile E. and the other dangers of the road.

- Use the mines and trucks to your advantage.

here are some personal tips from yours truly:

-The best way to get Wile E. Coyote hit by a truck or to step on a land mine is to wait untill the truck goes past you, or you've passed the land mine, then line yourself up with the truck/mine, and Wile E. should move into the same row as you. You have to be quick with the trucks, as sometimes the Wile E. will just barely miss the trucks.

-Be careful in the later stages about getting too far from Wile E. Coyote, as if he gets off-screen, he'll come back with rocket skates on.

-If you find Wile E. Coyote getting too close to you, run past him towards the right part of the screen, and wait for him to close in on you, then zip past him to the left again.

I've found a little trick to getting a truck to hit Wile E. a little easier:

Run past him to the right (as mentioned earlier in this thread.) But, instead of running past him again, go all the way to the right. You'll put some distance between yourself and Wile E. Then get in line with the oncoming truck. The coyote will get hit first and then you simply dodge the truck and head off to the left again. If a truck doesn't come out once you pass the coyote to the right, then run past him to the left and try again.

On the first level, you run faster than the coyote when going straight. He catches up to you when you move diagonally, so try to limit your diagonal movement as much as possible. Maybe that's a no brainer hint, but a hint nonetheless.

I notice that if you "push" against the right hand side of the screen (and if Wile E. is far away from you) he'll come at you much slower than if you're standing still. Use this to your advantage if a truck is coming by. Once he gets hit, zip around him and continue on your merry way.

Don't be afraid to pick up the buckshot-laced seed. Yes, Wile E. will break out his magno-tron and barrell down on you, but as soon as you pick up some regular seed, he puts the magnet away and goes back to chasing you on foot.

Here's a possible tip for getting started with level 4:

You pretty much lose the first life right off the bat (not fair, IMO.) The next life will start with the cannon in view. It should be firing even before you start moving. I've found that if you wait for the cannon to fire 2 shots in rapid succession, start running right after the second shot. You should be able to make it up to the top level before the cannon fires at you again. As long as you're on the top level, you're pretty safe.

--Ze_ro

Anybody seen my Acme power cord for my Atari 7800? No? Well, it doesn't matter, since I don't own this cartridge! :D

At any rate, here are some personal tips from yours truly:

-The best way to get Wile E. Coyote hit by a truck or to step on a land mine is to wait untill the truck goes past you, or you've passed the land mine, then line yourself up with the truck/mine, and Wile E. should move into the same row as you. You have to be quick with the trucks, as sometimes the Wile E. will just barely miss the trucks.

-Be careful in the later stages about getting too far from Wile E. Coyote, as if he gets off-screen, he'll come back with rocket skates on.

-If you find Wile E. Coyote getting too close to you, run past him towards the right part of the screen, and wait for him to close in on you, then zip past him to the left again.

post-1653-1157207460_thumb.jpg

44,300. I'll definitely be working on this one.

I like this game. Much more challenging. I've found a little trick to getting a truck to hit Wile E. a little easier:

Run past him to the right (as mentioned earlier in this thread.) But, instead of running past him again, go all the way to the right. You'll put some distance between yourself and Wile E. Then get in line with the oncoming truck. The coyote will get hit first and then you simply dodge the truck and head off to the left again. If a truck doesn't come out once you pass the coyote to the right, then run past him to the left and try again.

On the first level, you run faster than the coyote when going straight. He catches up to you when you move diagonally, so try to limit your diagonal movement as much as possible. Maybe that's a no brainer hint, but a hint nonetheless. :)

Ok, back to work now. :)

post-9712-1157220727_thumb.jpg

74,900! I'm getting the hang of it now. Have yet to complete level 3 though.

I notice that if you "push" against the right hand side of the screen (and if Wile E. is far away from you) he'll come at you much slower than if you're standing still. Use this to your advantage if a truck is coming by. Once he gets hit, zip around him and continue on your merry way.

Don't be afraid to pick up the buckshot-laced seed. Yes, Wile E. will break out his magno-tron and barrell down on you, but as soon as you pick up some regular seed, he puts the magnet away and goes back to chasing you on foot.

Once you get the hang of running circles around Wile E. he's not so bad. ;)

post-9712-1157235301_thumb.jpg

87,900! I made it to level 4 with all my lives intact. I'd say I probably got about 1/2 way through it. Here's a possible tip for getting started with level 4:

You pretty much lose the first life right off the bat (not fair, IMO.) The next life will start with the cannon in view. It should be firing even before you start moving. I've found that if you wait for the cannon to fire 2 shots in rapid succession, start running right after the second shot. You should be able to make it up to the top level before the cannon fires at you again. As long as you're on the top level, you're pretty safe.

If you're going into level 4 with only one life, may the force be with you. :sad: I'm finding you have to have at least 2 lives going in to even have a chance of making a go of it. :( Hope this helps!

post-9712-1157406390_thumb.jpg

I'm surprised someone can get a screen name like "Goochman" here.

Ummmmmmm - is this a profanity in some language I am not aware of?

I thought the "gooch" was the area between the private parts & um, where the poop comes out. Surprising what you can learn from Jackass: The Movie (from the muscle stimulator part for those who have the movie.) Hope I'm not being too gross here. Don't want to get kicked off the forum.