IGNORED

Nolan Bushnell Signature Series Atari 7800 Console on eBay!

Albert

Mark DiLuciano just listed up on eBay a prototype Nolan Bushnell Signature Series Atari 7800 console up on eBay. This 7800 has a pre-production off-white console housing featuring Nolan Bushnell's signature, with the guts of a normal 7800 inside. Very vew of these were made and it's unlikely you'll see more up for auction! New 7800 PCBs were made for this project (designed by Mark), but only one board was ever populated. I'm not sure why this project never saw fruition. You can find the auction here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320024240279

Here are some pictures (linked with permission):

7800_1.jpg

7800_2.jpg

7800_3.jpg

7800_4.jpg

7800_5.jpg

7800_6.jpg

7800_7.jpg

7800_8.jpg

7800_9.jpg

7800_10.jpg

..Al

It's a real pity that more of these weren't made.

Wasn't this intended to be the original Flashback console before "Atari" decided to go the cheap route with a NOAC-based system, or am I misremembering this?

No, as far as I know this was intended to be a modern day incarnation of the 7800, with a new case and christened by Nolan Bushnell.

..Al

From the description: "we were contracted to assist in the production of NEW Atari 7800 units"

Key question here is - Who are "we"???

And: "While new 7800 motherboards were designed (by us!) for this new product,"

Again, who are "us"???

Edited by Brian R.

No, as far as I know this was intended to be a modern day incarnation of the 7800, with a new case and christened by Nolan Bushnell.

..Al

Interesting ... I seem to remember someone (Curt perhaps?) posting a picture of one of these units before, only that one was molded in black plastic with silver writing. I recall that it was described as being Curt's original vision for the Atari Flashback console, but one that "Atari" passed on in favor of a more inexpensive design that went on to become the FB1, and that it could house an original 7800 motherboard too (although the power LED had to be mounted directly on the board because there wasn't as much clearance as the original 7800 case).

I had assumed this was one of the prototypes, only molded in a different color plastic. I wish I could find that original post ...

From the description: "we were contracted to assist in the production of NEW Atari 7800 units"

Again, who are "us"???

We is They, They is Us, and Us is We. Got that? :ponder:

Tempest

Again, who are "us"???

We is They, They is Us, and Us is We. Got that? :ponder:

Tempest

And I am the walrus. :cool:

..Al

Interesting ... I seem to remember someone (Curt perhaps?) posting a picture of one of these units before, only that one was molded in black plastic with silver writing. I recall that it was described as being Curt's original vision for the Atari Flashback console, but one that "Atari" passed on in favor of a more inexpensive design that went on to become the FB1, and that it could house an original 7800 motherboard too (although the power LED had to be mounted directly on the board because there wasn't as much clearance as the original 7800 case).

I had assumed this was one of the prototypes, only molded in a different color plastic. I wish I could find that original post ...

Yes it was Curt that had it and posted about it. It was a FB1 concept project and Curt sold the shell in the thread it was spoke of in.

EDIT: I'm also intrested to see what names can be put to the quoted "we" and "they" involved in this 7800.

Edited by Shawn Sr.

Is it just me, or does the Fuji symbol on the case look a little too spread out? The bars making the logo should be a little closer. Just my opinion, anyway.

Nah, I think it looks cool still. I would love to own this unit but just watch the price rise and rise. I would pay $100 for it maybe even $200 but I bet this thing goes for not a cent less than $500.

Hmmmmm - Why would a 7800 with Nolan;s signature be worth anything? He had nothing to do with that unit what so ever.....The case is nice looking but thats like having Lee Iococca signature C300........

IIRC, when the 7800 was released, didn't they haul Nolan out to promote the thing? I remember him appearing in commercials for it. Don't remember them from the time - at the time nothing really mattered but Nintendo - but I recall seeing them online.

Interesting that some seemed to think Nolan carried weight with the general buying public. Sure, he carries weight with us, but the masses, I'm not so sure they even know who he is/was, certainly not now. How many do you think know of the connection between Atari and Chuck E. Cheese???

And regarding the comment about the logo not looking quite right... that was my first thought too, just didn't say it. Too spread out.

As for the auction... I wouldn't bid on this - certainly for these prices (over $300 as of this writing) - without knowing substantially more about it. Details and identities are sorely lacking.

Edited by Brian R.

As for the auction... I wouldn't bid on this - certainly for these prices (over $300 as of this writing) - without knowing substantially more about it. Details and identities are sorely lacking.

This was a legitimate project (I was "in the know" at the time) and the goal was to make a run of new Atari 7800 units with the housing pictured in the auction. Mark DiLuciano (of Sunmark) designed the new Atari 7800 PCB to be used for this project, I'll post a picture of one later. I believe Curt Vendel designed the plastic housing, which internally is the same as a normal 7800 housing, which is why a standard 7800 PCB fits fine inside the case. It's possible that Curt wanted to use this case design for the original Flashback console, he'll have to speak to that. But this particular shell is meant for the 7800 PCB that was created for this project, with the connectors and other jacks and switches in the same positions as the original 7800.

..Al