IGNORED

How do you say '2600'?

atari2600land

I have never, ever heard it pronounced any way other than "twenty-six hundred."

Same here, Twenty-Six Hundred.

Untill it was questioned, it didn't ever dawn on me to call it anyting else. ;)

I was old enough to have seen the -''2600'' from A-tar-i.''- 1985-ish commercial,

for thee Atari Jr. Now, one could copy that commerical and say it,

I have a "2600 from A-TAR-I" :ponder:

( Mata A-tari )

Zweitausendsechshundert. :D

und

Zweitausendmal .. Ba-var-i 'a'.

Cybergoth, I seen some of your C-64 EPYX game stuff,

.. nette, sehr gut webseite. Die musik du mag, auch cool.

I can suggest some music of my lieblings lieder.

vieleicht, du moechte?

How about Two Kay Six?

For those who don't know better (until now), the recent fad of calling the year "2kN" is in serious error. This number format has been established for many years as a way to abbreviate electronic component values. 2k6 is 2600, not 2006! 2006 would be 2k006, which is obviously not a useful abbreviation. The letter indicates the multiplier (k=thousand), and it goes in the position of the decimal point:

2k6 = 2.6 x 1000 = 2600

26k = 26 x 1000 = 26000

260k = 260 x 1000 = 260000

2M6 = 2.6 x 1000000 = 2600000

etc.

I call it two six hundred for some reason.

Yay! I'm not the only one then!

Always Atari Two Six Hundred for me.

I notice you're also from the UK... did you happen to have an Amiga perchance? I have an Amiga A500 (a-five-hundred), an Amiga A600 (a-six-hundred), A1200 (a-twelve-hundred) and so therefore an Atari 2600 (two-six-hundred)....

I don't think that there's any British angle to that pronunciation. I've always thought of it as "twenty-six hundred". I think that it kind of fits with "fifty-two hundred" and "seventy-eight hundred".

Don't suppose it matters, though.

Sometimes I vary it depending on who I'm talking to and which console I'm talking about. The Vader and up are definitely "2600", and the woody and before are "VCS".

If I'm talking to someone who might not know much about Atari, I'll ask for "old Atari games", or maybe even just "video games".

This is what I do. It depends on my audience. For someone that's familiar with the system, I'll call it the VCS. For general gamers who know a little about the system, it's the 2600. And for those yard sale and garage sale folks I just say "old Atari game cartridges". They seem to know what I'm talking about most of the time, though some didn't until I explained to them what I was talking about.

I've found it helpful when you go to yard sales and the like to carry around a common cartridge like, say, Space Invaders or Combat, and just use them as a visual aid. That sometimes gets results and I've managed to get a couple of loose commons that way. Most of the time, though, the person knew what I was talking about upon seeing an actual cartridge, but they also informed me that they "no longer had the system," "was taken by their kids when they moved off," or other such tales.

As for the pronounciation: It's "twenty-six hundred" all the way. :cool:

I call it two six hundred for some reason.

Yay! I'm not the only one then!

Always Atari Two Six Hundred for me.

I notice you're also from the UK... did you happen to have an Amiga perchance? I have an Amiga A500 (a-five-hundred), an Amiga A600 (a-six-hundred), A1200 (a-twelve-hundred) and so therefore an Atari 2600 (two-six-hundred)....

I never had an Amiga, I had an ST. Wales eh? I used to go there when I was a kid, nice place.

I've heard him say "VCS" and "2600" depending on the context.
Please spell out what you mean by "2600", since that is exactly the topic of this thread and can be said in a large number of ways in English, let alone the other languages that have been mentioned. Edited by A.J. Franzman

Twenty Six Hundred. I useually call it that. Wen I'm with my friends though I just say Atari, yeah, I have all the systems, and they know that, but when I just say Atari, they know I'm talking about the 2600.

As for Poor mans system, I've heard it called that. That came about heavily during Nintendo, due to the fact that if you weren't poor, you probably had a Nintendo, and if you were poor, you bought the then $50 Atari 2600 (probably JR) instead.

Please spell out what you mean by "2600", since that is exactly the topic of this thread and can be said in a large number of ways in English, let alone the other languages that have been mentioned.
Twenty-six hundred. I still think it should be obvious. Edited by jaybird3rd

A little off topic, but how about "6502"?

I always say "six five oh two" - but since reading this thread it struck me that there were other pronunciations. I have the unpleasant thought that I was influenced by the one-hit-wonder single "5705" by "City Boy".

or "867-5309"?