IGNORED

Save Key Review

pmpddytim

Yesterday I recieved my "Save Key" from CPUWIZ. The Save Key is a small device that plugs into the controller port on the 2600 (as well as 7800 and Vectrex) that "save(s) game / TV settings and scores on modern homebrew games." According to CPUWIZ the Save key is compatible with the following 2600 homebrew games.

Man Goes Down

Fall Down

Go Fish!

Strat-O-Gems

AStar

I recieved the deluxe version of the unit. This version includes a keychain and a clear coating to protect the pcb and components. The quality is excellent. The PCB looks to be translucent blue and is very attractive. The save key also has a blue LED that lights up when the unit is plugged in. One thing that struck me about this is it size....it sooo small!

Currently, the only combatible game I have is Go Fish!. Being able to keep your high scores is just a great feature and makes the game so much more enjoyable. Hopefully many more homebrews will come out with this as a standard feature.

The save key comes in 3 varieties.

The "Bare" (No keychain or clear coating) - $9.95

The "Deluxe" - $10.95

and the DIY Kit for $7.95

At these prices I can't see why any 2600 homebrew lover wouldn't pick one of these babies up.

Remember the more of these that are out in players hands the more homebrews will take advantage of it.

http://www.atariservice.com/Shop/index.php...keyword=savekey

post-4516-1157849275_thumb.jpg

post-4516-1157849372_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the review, glad at least you like it. Nobody seems to be wanting one of these, I even listed one for $4.99 (which is less than half of the price) on eBay and in 7 days it received no bids. Maybe everyone bought one from Richard already.

BTW, yours is different, the regular ones have a white plug. :)

I didn't know about this... but then again... I don't have many homebrews.

the SaveKey combined with Strat-O-Gems Deluxe is an absolute MUST-have!

It saves the Highscore and it replays the best Combos you did!

This game is great without the key but simply incredible with it.

If I can make a suggestion?

CPUWiz, have you considered working with Albert to rebundle some of the homebrews with the Savekey? e.g. Customers would have the option of purchasing just the supported game, or the game and the Savekey together. It would probably make the device sell a lot better if it was available at the time players purchased a supported game.

You have a really great site, but it's primarily focused on game developers and hardware hackers. You'd reach more players if the key were for sale on a more consumer focused venue like AtariAge. :)

I think John used the undefined other 16K - I could be wrong though

Since you maintain the allocation documents:

I use $0100-$01FF (I think) and expect it to remain unmolested by other programs. I also use $3FC0-$3FFF but don't care if other programs trash it. I've been suggesting that you should declare some range, probably $3000-$3FFF as being "scratch pad": any program may write there, but no program should expect data to remain once power is off (since someone might play something else that uses that area). In fact, I only use the 64 bytes of "scratchpad" in Strat-O-Gems, but if I ever code a Boggle game, that would use all 4K.

I've got one of these Savekeys and it's GREAT! Man Goes Down uses it and that alone is worth the price! It's so very small - and I'm a little nervous taking it in and out of my controller port for fear of breaking it (I have 2 systems - a 2600 and 7800 which I use this on). But it works great - and it's really amazing to see high-scores and other related data be saved and restored on the games which support it. Let's home for even more AtariVOX/SaveKey games in the future!

PS - for those that are confused - the AtariVOX is a neat device with both speech synthesis and a nice Non-volatile memory save area (for high scores, level data, settings, etc) which new games can be programmed to use. The SaveKey is just the Non-volatile memory area (i.e. no speech synthesis).

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I recieved my "Save Key" from CPUWIZ. The Save Key is a small device that plugs into the controller port on the 2600 (as well as 7800 and Vectrex) that "save(s) game / TV settings and scores on modern homebrew games." According to CPUWIZ the Save key is compatible with the following 2600 homebrew games.

Man Goes Down

Fall Down

Go Fish!

Strat-O-Gems

AStar

Are you sure about AStar? I just tried it with an AtariVox plugged in and I don't see it saving anything obvious.

..Al

Are you sure about AStar? I just tried it with an AtariVox plugged in and I don't see it saving anything obvious.

..Al

I got an answer from Aaron Curtis (the game's developer) about this. AStar does take advantage of the AtariVox--it keeps track of each level you complete, so you can solve a level or three, turn the system off, and then come back to complete more later. This allows you to finish them all without having to do so in one sitting. I updated the AStar and AtariVox pages in the store accordingly.

..Al

Robert,

See the I2C section of the driver for code. Then take a look at the allocation page and let me know if you want some pages reserving and I'll update the list.

So the Save Key can be used in a large RPG type game to save progress like the battery backed saves of NES era games? I may pick one up soon if someone can do a large Dragon Warrior, Ultima, or Zelda style game for the 2600

Yes, and it doesn't require a battery (life span is 1 million writes and 200+ years data retention)