IGNORED

does anyone know where i can find .....

rubixcube

• 8 months later...
that link is dead, is it still available to down load anywhere?

As BIWN was available for public download for a long time, I assume it would be OK if I just burn a copy and mail it to you - as long as you are willing to at least cover for the mailing costs. I´m located in Germany, mailing to UK should not be a big deal in terms of money. PM me if you are interested.

I e-mailed B.J. West to find out about the game image. He sent me back an e-mail stating he pulled the image a while back because he now sells the game. I just noticed that the link above IS now active again and he has posted the info for getting the game. Hope this helps

Purchase Black Ice/White Noise

that link is dead, is it still available to down load anywhere?

As BIWN was available for public download for a long time, I assume it would be OK if I just burn a copy and mail it to you - as long as you are willing to at least cover for the mailing costs. I´m located in Germany, mailing to UK should not be a big deal in terms of money. PM me if you are interested.

I e-mailed B.J. West to find out about the game image. He sent me back an e-mail stating he pulled the image a while back because he now sells the game. I just noticed that the link above IS now active again and he has posted the info for getting the game. Hope this helps

Purchase Black Ice/White Noise

Thanks for letting us know that B.J. West has just started to sell the game.

Well, in this case I can´t stick to my offer above. I´m sure everybody here will understand.

That's pretty sweet. I already have a copy of rev 18, but I might have to pick up a second from B.J. just to get that nice full-color manual.

I think B.J. was also selling shirts and bumper stickers a few months back, though I don't see them on his web page....

Well, in this case I can´t stick to my offer above. I´m sure everybody here will understand.

sorry but you can, when you download it the game was in Creative commons licence

I have a backup from this web page, look a this snap from it

snap04018052007190111sg8.png

there is no problems to burn a copy for free.

I don´t think that this license is still valid, now that the author has decided to stop free downloads and start to sell the software.

Anyhow, I´d like to fully respect the author´s decision. I am not going to spread the software.

What was the latest Rev number released?

Rev 23 is the last, but I think Rev 18 is generally considered the most stable and playable.

That´s an interesting point. Do you have any idea what the differences are between Rev 18 and Rev 23? What´s with all the revisions in between?

Anyhow, I´d like to fully respect the author´s decision. I am not going to spread the software.
I agree with you. If the developer has changed his mind and asked people not to distribute it freely, that should be respected.

BTW... I have a copy of BIWN. Although it makes for an impressive Jaguar demo, there's not much gameplay involved - certainly less than, say, the Phase Zero demo or the incomplete Space War 2000.

Edited by ls650

BTW... I have a copy of BIWN. Although it makes for an impressive Jaguar demo, there's not much gameplay involved - certainly less than, say, the Phase Zero demo or the incomplete Space War 2000.

Yeah, same with me. I can´t really do a lot with BIWN, no idea how others were able to explore it a lot more than I was able to.

All I managed to do was running around :| with no idea what to do...

What was the latest Rev number released?

Rev 23 is the last, but I think Rev 18 is generally considered the most stable and playable.

That´s an interesting point. Do you have any idea what the differences are between Rev 18 and Rev 23? What´s with all the revisions in between?

There's actually more differences than you think. I wrote an article for JagWired a while back that details w/screenshots all the Revisions 1-23 and some of the differences. It's worth picking up if Cobracon is still selling, but I'm not sure he is. Rev 23 was released on the Extremist Pack #1 before BJ West came onto the scene. Those sold out very quickly and will never be re-released.

Edited by jaysmith2000

I don´t think that this license is still valid, now that the author has decided to stop free downloads and start to sell the software.

I agree with you. If the developer has changed his mind and asked people not to distribute it freely, that should be respected.

the creative commons licence still valid, i only respect it, if anyboby whant this archive from 2005 I have no problems to spread it.

Hey Folks.

There seems to be some confusion about the legal status of Black ICE\White Noise. Please allow me to clear things up.

I am the sole rights holder on BIWN. I originally released the burnable CD image via a Creative Commons license, which would allow folks to circulate the game so long as they didn't sell it. I have since cancelled that license, so it no longer applies. BIWN is now protected by U.S. Copyright law, and it is illegal to duplicate or distribute BIWN by any means.

I am currently selling copies of the game, both on eBay and via my web page. The old link to the download (http://www.strafe.com/BIWN) now takes you to a page where you can order the game and the soundtrack album directly from me. BTW: I will ship overseas, for actual shipping cost. email me with your address at BIWN@strafe.com and I'll look up how much that would be.

I originally wanted to make the game available to everyone for free, but I changed my mind when I kept running into people who took advantage of my generosity. I hope you can imagine how galling it is to find people making money off of my intellectual property.

I hope you folks will respect my wishes and not distribute the old downloadable. I think that you'll find that the disc I sell, along with the fairly comprehensive manual, is well worth the price.

Guitarman: Thanks for spreading the word!

[ProToS]: You are absolutely incorrect. The CC license is now null and void. I request that you please not share the download.

ls650: You are absolutely right. Any revs of BIWN currently in circulation are hugely unfinished. There is no real game play to speak of, though there are quite a few characters you can interact with scattered about the city. They can be difficult to find, which is why their locations are listed in the manual.

Trip_Cannon: The last game build ever pressed to disc was 23. I only have revs up to 19, and have yet to locate any copies of the later burns. Rev 18 is fairly complete and stable, the most notable exclusion is the hooker. Rev 19 has the hooker, but CSpace is very buggy, and crashes very easily. My release of Rev 18 is the only one that has been encrypted for use on any JagCD. All the others require bypass carts or other means of playing unencrypted discs.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case there are any questions.

Thanks,

Beej

There's actually more differences than you think. I wrote an article for JagWired a while back that details w/screenshots all the Revisions 1-23 and some of the differences. It's worth picking up if Cobracon is still selling, but I'm not sure he is. Rev 23 was released on the Extremist Pack #1 before BJ West came onto the scene. Those sold out very quickly and will never be re-released.

Wow, I have the Extremist Pack #1 but never checked it out, so did not even realize that BIWN Rev. 23 was on it...

Too bad I do not have JagWired and Cobracon has stopped making and selling them.

Any chances you will be able to re-release the article you wrote on BIWN?

Edited by jaguar_fan

Hey Folks.

There seems to be some confusion about the legal status of Black ICE\White Noise. Please allow me to clear things up.

I am the sole rights holder on BIWN. I originally released the burnable CD image via a Creative Commons license, which would allow folks to circulate the game so long as they didn't sell it. I have since cancelled that license, so it no longer applies. BIWN is now protected by U.S. Copyright law, and it is illegal to duplicate or distribute BIWN by any means.

I am currently selling copies of the game, both on eBay and via my web page. The old link to the download (http://www.strafe.com/BIWN) now takes you to a page where you can order the game and the soundtrack album directly from me. BTW: I will ship overseas, for actual shipping cost. email me with your address at BIWN@strafe.com and I'll look up how much that would be.

I originally wanted to make the game available to everyone for free, but I changed my mind when I kept running into people who took advantage of my generosity. I hope you can imagine how galling it is to find people making money off of my intellectual property.

I hope you folks will respect my wishes and not distribute the old downloadable. I think that you'll find that the disc I sell, along with the fairly comprehensive manual, is well worth the price.

Guitarman: Thanks for spreading the word!

[ProToS]: You are absolutely incorrect. The CC license is now null and void. I request that you please not share the download.

ls650: You are absolutely right. Any revs of BIWN currently in circulation are hugely unfinished. There is no real game play to speak of, though there are quite a few characters you can interact with scattered about the city. They can be difficult to find, which is why their locations are listed in the manual.

Trip_Cannon: The last game build ever pressed to disc was 23. I only have revs up to 19, and have yet to locate any copies of the later burns. Rev 18 is fairly complete and stable, the most notable exclusion is the hooker. Rev 19 has the hooker, but CSpace is very buggy, and crashes very easily. My release of Rev 18 is the only one that has been encrypted for use on any JagCD. All the others require bypass carts or other means of playing unencrypted discs.

I hope this clears up any confusion. I'll keep an eye on this thread in case there are any questions.

Thanks,

Beej

Exactly what I thought.

Thanks for making this issue perfectly clear to everyone else...