IGNORED

Pink Panther 2600 Prototype On Ebay

Shawn

Hey All,

Guy has this Pink Panther "prototype" listed a sbeing for th O2 but it's clearly a 2600 cart. Anyone wanna take a crack at its authenticity? $1500 to open the bidding, I hope someone gets it and dumps it for the the public to enjoy :lust:

Anyhow here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MAGNAVOX-ODYSSEY-PHILIP...1QQcmdZViewItem

The dude seems to have alot of supporting docs to go with it also.

Cheers,

Sr.

Guy has this Pink Panther "prototype" listed a sbeing for th O2 but it's clearly a 2600 cart.

His confusion is because Pink Panther was produced by the division of Phillips responsible for the Videopac. (Probe 2000) I believe that this game was ported to both systems. Thus the materials make a lot of mention of the Videopac and O^2, but the cart is actually an Atari cart. Tempest has an article on the game over at AtariProtos.com. :)

Wow! Shame it's WAY out of my price range. It looks legit to me (the binder going with it is a nice touch, it adds alot of credibility).

Tempest

It looks 100% legit to me as well, I consider myself somewhat of an expert in Atari cartridge cases and this one is not in my mental database. And if you compare it to other Probe 2000 carts, you can clearly see the similarity.

warroom.jpg

He does say in the description, despite the auction title, that the cart is Atari based. Pity he hasn't tested it. Would someone here, even despite the rarity of it, actually bite for that price given no one knows if it works or not? I'd also love to know why shipping international is $75... hello claw the Paypal fees back.

Edited by MayhemUK

It looks 100% legit to me as well, I consider myself somewhat of an expert in Atari cartridge cases and this one is not in my mental database. And if you compare it to other Probe 2000 carts, you can clearly see the similarity.

The auction has a picture of the connector end of the cart which shows what appears to be a 24-contact (12x2) edge connector at 0.1" spacing, with keys on either side. I know of nothing other than the 2600 that uses that form.

The auction has a picture of the connector end of the cart which shows what appears to be a 24-contact (12x2) edge connector at 0.1" spacing, with keys on either side. I know of nothing other than the 2600 that uses that form.

Yep, that is another clear indicator.

@Wonder: Go and buy it already, so I can dump it. :D

Yep, that is another clear indicator.

@Wonder: Go and buy it already, so I can dump it. :D

Let me win it first!!!! :)

I've been waiting for this one to show up, I seem to remember a story about this game. Something about the only known copy being owned by someone who basicly dropped out of exsistence? .........Something like that, anyways it's cool to see it surfaced. I think this would be a nice centerpiece for a proto collection.

I don't care about his 100% feedback, saying it is untested and sold as-is would not go with me. No way I would dump $1500 or any amount and not have a guarantee. Binder or no binder, claiming this game is legit doesn't work unless I see some screenshots while it's plugged in.

Phil

Thats the safest approach. Didn't Tempest buy an untested prototype for big bucks that ended up with bit rot?

People get caught up in the hype and excitement of a new undiscover item and all logic goes out the window.

Someone go over and test this thing before Wonder pays.

Adam

Thats the safest approach. Didn't Tempest buy an untested prototype for big bucks that ended up with bit rot?

Sort of, it wasn't Bit Rot but rather damage to the EPROM itself (it still might be recoverable, but it's not going to be easy). There's always a risk involved in buying untested prototypes, but with all the prototypes I've bought over the years only 1 turned out to be bad (unfortunately it had to be the really pricey one).

Tempest

Tempest, I have a question:

On your site the game is called Adventures of the Pink Panther, but on the flyer it's called Pink Panther - The Video Game.

Do you know if the game title was changed during the WIP?

8)

I have no idea on this one. APP is how it was listed on the net and in various guides.

Tempest

Huh, this is rather interesting. Two months ago someone contacted me saying he was given a bunch of Atari 2600 carts, including what looked like a Pink Panther prototype. He sent me some pictures, and it actually had a Probe 2000 Pink Panther prototype label on it. It also was in a Probe 2000 cartridge, and the label looked authentic (I think I showed it to Tempest). Very odd that one is now up on eBay without this label. The person I spoke to said he was going to try and find a 2600 to test it on, but I did not hear back from him after my last reply. It doesn't appear that these are the same carts, as it would seem odd that someone would remove such a label. Also, the other individual was not located in Georgia.

Wonder, just curious, if you buy this are you going to allow it to be dumped and shared? You don't have to answer publicly if you don't want to. :)

..Al