IGNORED

Pink Panther 2600 Prototype On Ebay

Shawn

Yep, you are not counting in quantities. :P

How so? :?

I already made two explicit statements that count quantity: The box and the artwork.

Things like manufactured shells, circuit boards, and ROM chips can come down in price for massive quantities, but that gets tricky. If you're one-offing the production in a run of 250, you're not going to get that much discount. If you do this all the time however, (like Al and yourself) then you'll purchase a larger run (say, 5000) to be used across many different products. Unfortunately, this isn't a safe assumption unless you KNOW that a large quantity producer is going to be producing the carts. So you have to assume higher costs, then work your way down as you make the necessary business deals.

In other words, I know YOU can do it for less. but Joe Average Reproductionist would have a lot of business deals to make in order to drive that cost down. :)

I assumed any run would be of 250. I also assumed a selling price of $50 which is what all boxed "come to our show just to get it" protos get isn't it.

$12,500

Cart shell - $3.00

Artwork Royalties - $2.00

Glossy Manual - $3.00

I don't know about the other costs but these can be pretty much eliminated. I know I and many others here have 500+ commons they would easily get rid of for such a venture and if I didn't they wouldn't cost $3 each. Doesn't Atariage only pay 50 cents?

Artwork Royalty? Umm yeah.

$3 for the manual? One sided 8X10 folded in half. How much do you think there is to this game? Ok... two 8X10s folded in half. $3?

Cart shell - $3.00

Glossy Manual - $3.00

I don't know about the other costs but these can be pretty much eliminated. I know I and many others here have 500+ commons they would easily get rid of for such a venture and if I didn't they wouldn't cost $3 each. Doesn't Atariage only pay 50 cents?

AtariAge does pay $0.50. The $3.00 a shell is for newly manufactured shells, especially those in different colors. :)

Most professional artists prefer to work on a royalty basis. However, up front payment for artwork doesn't necessarily come out much better. Artwork that has the full rights aquired for $500 still comes out to $2.00 per cart. Label contests seem to be pretty popular around here as a way of bringing the cost down. A $100 prize, for example, would bring the per-cart cost down to $0.40 per unit as well as providing a wide selection of options. I won't comment on other ways in which those contests lower the cost. :ponder:

$3 for the manual? One sided 8X10 folded in half. How much do you think there is to this game? Ok... two 8X10s folded in half. $3?

I said "glossy", not folded. Glossies are not cheap to print, but ARE a lot nicer looking than most other options. I know this is one of those things that's sometimes done and sometimes not. So it's an optional cost, though it does increase the value of the item. Especially if the manual reproduces some of the materials from that book he's including. :)

Number the boxes and sell the 001-010 on ebay the week before the show.

Mmm. Yep, you could probably make up quite a bit of the cost that way. $3500 is still way too much, though. ;)

If someone buys this proto he is only purchasing the physical prototype to the game. It doesn't give the buyer the right to reproduce the game and sell boxed copies of it. It wasn't that long ago that a Pink Panther movie was released. The Pink Panther name and image is something that I am sure the owners wish to protect.

That is what I was getting at, you would have to pull the same thing the CGE guys did with Snow White, which is also heavily protected. ;)

Weren't the CGE guys;)

I assumed any run would be of 250. I also assumed a selling price of $50 which is what all boxed "come to our show just to get it" protos get isn't it.

$12,500

Cart shell - $3.00

Glossy Manual - $3.00

Well, 250 is quite a high number. SW (okay, not much playable) and RSBB did about 120 each if I remember correctly...

You know he may get more people bidding on it if he allowed Tempest to review the rom for if it is different to the one discovered surely that would jack up the price of it even highter. Just a thought ;)

Perhaps he should let Tempest dump it,for archives sake. ;) ;) Really!No one would have to know ;) ;)

960.gif

$3,500....I did not even pay that amount for Air Raid and I competed against some high profile collectors on that one, ones that would pay good money for rare Atari stuff.

I wouldn't use Air raid as a measuring stick. If you paid $3500 for air raid $100,000 for Pink Panther wouldn't be too much.

Pass on it and he will lower the price, I don't think anyone is going to dish that out, hard to get a decent return on it, even if 200 boxed repros are made from it.

I never produced a homebrew but I was under the impression that every run of 250 boxed game would net you appox 10k in profits.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I think I hold the record for paying the most for a single Atari 2600 cart (ebay) and it was not $3,500.

Edited by Wonder007

$3,500....I did not even pay that amount for Air Raid and I competed against some high profile collectors on that one, ones that would pay good money for rare Atari stuff.

I wouldn't use Air raid as a measuring stick. If you paid $3500 for air raid $100,000 for Pink Panther wouldn't be too much.

Pass on it and he will lower the price, I don't think anyone is going to dish that out, hard to get a decent return on it, even if 200 boxed repros are made from it.

I never produced a homebrew but I was under the impression that every run of 250 boxed game would net you appox 10k in profits.

I guess what I was trying to say was that I think I hold the record for paying the most for a single Atari 2600 cart (ebay) and it was not $3,500.

Adam is gonna come back and tell you not to be proud about that. :ponder:

True...I am not proud of it but I have been involved in a lot of negotiations of high priced UR Atari 2600 stuff and have seen many ebay dealings and, I must admit I have overpaid on a lot of stuff, but I agree with you CPUWIZ, unless there is somebody we both do not know, I highly doubt it somebody will pay that amount (unless I doubt myself of course).

True...I am not proud of it but I have been involved in a lot of negotiations of high priced UR Atari 2600 stuff and have seen many ebay dealings and, I must admit I have overpaid on a lot of stuff, but I agree with you CPUWIZ, unless there is somebody we both do not know, I highly doubt it somebody will pay that amount (unless I doubt myself of course).

There could always be some wealthy Pink Panther fan who buys this and could care less about Atari.

There could always be some wealthy Pink Panther fan who buys this and could care less about Atari.

That's what happened to Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

Tempest

Oh, that's right, forgot about the whole Chainsaw fiasco. Well, if that happens, the Pink Panther mystery will continue.

Inspector Jacques Clouseau, where are you when we need you.... :)

Well the bright side is that if that does happen, there are bound to be more copies out there. Magnavox was a MUCH bigger company than Wizard, and the team that worked on it had more people. We've already found 2 copies, I'd be there's at least one more out there.

Tempest

Oh, that's right, forgot about the whole Chainsaw fiasco. Well, if that happens, the Pink Panther mystery will continue.

Inspector Jacques Clouseau, where are you when we need you.... :)

Well the bright side is that if that does happen, there are bound to be more copies out there. Magnavox was a MUCH bigger company than Wizard, and the team that worked on it had more people. We've already found 2 copies, I'd be there's at least one more out there.

Tempest

Like the mystery copy that Albert saw, that was fully labeled? :ponder:

I really hope this one doesn't suffer the fate of TCM (although I do believe TCM will show up someday, even the biggest collectors sell there stash now and then, divorce, debt, etc...) $3500 is just plain greedy if you ask me though, the Atari community deserves this game but not at that price. How many of us would have loved a Pink Panther game on the 2600 as a kid.......man I would have. Maybe he will come to his senses and drop the price to a more reasonable league.........$1000-$1500? It would still be over priced but then we could have a real competition, well not me of course but it would be fun to watch :) I love proto's and I hope we get this one back!! :) (we) assuming someone is willing to share it with us :cool:

I've noticed that several times, when something unique like this pops up, another one shows up a few days/weeks later. I am hoping that is what happens with this one.

As Tempest said, there are probably more out there and Al did see another copy.

@Tempest, you are the KING (referring to the avatar).

You may be one of the only people willing to pay $3500 for an atari game to collect but if someone pays $3500 it will be someone looking to make a profit not someone looking to collect.

The Air Raid thing still irks me quite a bit. Just like the myth of the Music Machine record and the Begale Bros games. Long after it was fairly clear the items weren't what they were first believed to be they were still listed as such either here on the Atari Age rarity guide and/or elsewhere. This led to several collectors paying way too much for items that some thought were R10s and are now aren't even considered part of the collection. Sure a guide is just a guide but we are talking about ALOT of money on the line here.

You make a vaild point Adam. I bet you the seller can make more money if he starts the auction at a penny and have a reserve on it (of course, lower than $3,500). At least you will get fair value for the item and the bidding bugs will allow for healthy but heavy competition.