IGNORED

TI-99/4A Roms

Toucan

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have been on a quest to find an emulator for mac OS X that can allow me to mess with the same sort of texas instruments speech synthesis that made the "Yellow Elf shot the food!" in Gauntlet, as well as the "you can't get in without a ticket kid' in 720.. and all the other great distinct speech voices found in those Atari Games.

So I am wondering if the TI-99's speech synthesis is similar to this??

I'd love to try it out, but alas I have no roms-- and the link at the top of this post is dead!

Can anyone help out?

-patrick

Actually, to my ear and from what I remember with what little time I spent on a TI-99/4a, the speech synthesis sounds more like what you'd expect to hear out of a Speak 'n Spell.

You can hear three of the phrases from a game called "Parsec", which used the speech synthesis module. Link to the page is here.

Actually, to my ear and from what I remember with what little time I spent on a TI-99/4a, the speech synthesis sounds more like what you'd expect to hear out of a Speak 'n Spell.

You can hear three of the phrases from a game called "Parsec", which used the speech synthesis module. Link to the page is here.

As someone that spent way too much time on the 4a and TI's educational toy line(Speak&Spell, Speak&Spell Compact, Speak&Math, Touch&Tell, Magic Wand Reader, even a Speak&Read until it broke), both as a kid and recently(mad scientist moment #547: hooking a Speak&Spell up to a home theater system)...

It won't win any realism points, but the 4a is MUCH better than the S&S and company.

And the 5220 used in the 4a's Speech Synthesizer was the EXACT same part used in Gauntlet and 720.

Differences will be down to ROM space constraints and just plain poor mastering.

Parsec is somewhat amusing. The selection of a female voice for the ship computer was done for two reasons. One, it was like Star Trek and related sci-fi. Two, the developers were told that female voices didn't work for speech synthesis.

• 1 year later...

http://ftp.whtech.com/ (look under emulators, also available via FTP, as the name suggests)

Probably your best bet. This site has permission for their distributions and has been around for years. No need to keep setting up temporary warez sites. :)

Simplest hit is probably emulators/cartridge_images/rpk/cartridge-rpks.zip (and/or converted-rpks.zip) -- These files are meant for the latest version of MESS, but if you rename the extension to .zip and unzip them, the files are supposed to be intact. :)

Otherwise, browsing that archive will keep you busy for a while.