IGNORED

The definitive list of ALL simultaneous multiplayer games?

godzillajoe

On 2/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, ekthanatou said:

Really?  What's the point of Xenophobe's split screen, then? 

Search me.  Maybe to make it at least look at little more arcade-like, if only when single players see the "Xenophobe" title floating on the other half of the screen?

• 2 months later...

I found a few more games to add:

Atom Smasher - VideoSoft (also one of the view games you can watch 2 computer opponents play each other)

Confrontation - Answer Software 

Cubicolor - Rob Fulop 

Extra Terrestrials - Skill Screen Games (2 player only)

Frog Pond - Atari

Heart Like a Wheel - 20th Century Fox prototype

Lost Luggage - Apollo Games (2 player with suitcase control variation)

Miss Piggy's Wedding - Atari

Racer - Atari (Roklan prototype)

RealSports Basketball - Atari

Rescue Terra I - Venture Vision (2 player modes offer simultaneous 2 joystick control scheme of one ship, left player moving left and right, right player moving up and down)

Super Football - Atari

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, this list is comprehensive and years in the making! Okay, now a quick question:

Of all these, what are the TOP FIVE? 

My daughter just turned 12 and sometimes when she's walking by my desk I can tempt her with a quick game of Freeway, which is super fun for us, but I want to add some variety to the mix. Which are the all time greatest? 

Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, quohog said:

Wow, this list is comprehensive and years in the making! Okay, now a quick question:

My top five:

Mario Bros

Joust

Wizard of word

Space Invaders

Dark Chambers

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, quohog said:

My daughter just turned 12 and sometimes when she's walking by my desk I can tempt her with a quick game of Freeway, which is super fun for us, but I want to add some variety to the mix. Which are the all time greatest? 

Medieval Mayhem (Homebrew) or Warlords: (up to 4-paddles)

The best 4 player game on the Atari 2600, possibly one of the best games of all time (I would place M.U.L.E. for Atari 800 here). If you have two sets of paddles and 4 or more players, you can have hours of fun trying to demolish your opponents castle.

Combat:

One of the original releases, and still one of the best. Lots of game variations, like Tank Pong where your shells must bounce off a wall before hurting your opponent, or multiple jets or bi-planes. Difficulty switches can handicap expert players, making it harder for them to dominate. (PS, Combat and Warlords have hacks that have updated menus, making it easier to find the correct game instead of referring to a Game Matrix)

Maze Craze:

Lots of different game variations; invisible mazes with/(out) peek; Terror mode where you cannot exit until your opponents are eliminated; or Capture mode where you must collect the robbers before exiting; make this game a blast. I especially like the game variations with wounds (G5 /G13) where the robbers can knock you out and you slowly come back to life, sometimes only to be immediately knocked out again by a robber tracing its way back through the maze.

Sky Diver:

A reflex testing game, with a push your luck aspect. Do you jump just a little earlier, hoping you can make it to the pad with the current wind. Or do you open your chute a little later for more points, but risk splatting on the ground, losing points (and making a satisfying crunching sound). Five game variations, including G5 Chicken, where only the first skydiver to hit the pad getting points.

Slot Races / Maze (Sears Telegames):

Lots of game variations controlling the speed of the cars and the missiles. Also supports difficulty switch handicapping, forcing experts  to retrieve a missed missile before firing another. It is a race to 25 points. I find the slow cars with curving missiles the most fun. It is hilarious to watch a missile coming at you and try to will your car into moving faster to make a turn before it catches up to you. Only to be hit and forced to move a hundred miles an hour into your opponents next missile.

Edited by CapitanClassic
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, quohog said:

I compiled scores from as many sources as I could find to come up with a ranking of the top 150 original games.
Here are the highest ranking games on that list that have simultaneous two-player options, in alphabetical order:
Atlantis, Combat, Demon Attack, Ice Hockey, Joust, Space Invaders, Wizard of Wor, Warlords

Of those, the ones I would most recommend Atlantis, Joust, and Wizard of Wor for cooperative play.  Wizard of Wor is by far my favorite for cooperative play.

I would most recommend for competitive play Combat, Ice Hockey, and Warlords. Warlords is my favorite for competitive play.  

Demon Attack and Space Invaders have two player modes, but they are not really known for those modes, I think it's safe to say, so I wouldn't really keep them on the list--though both are great one player games.

• Thanks 1

Two more thoughts:
1) I can't emphasize enough how awesome Wizard of Wor is for cooperative play on the platform--especially considering the limits of the system and how rare cooperative play games are.
2) The 7800 has way more cooperative games available. Off the top of my head, Centipede, Asteroids, Dark Chambers, Joust, and Mario Bros. all have cooperative modes that my sons like to play with me on occasion. Oh, and Basketbrawl.  There are others.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...