IGNORED

Best Commodore 64 joystick/controller?

zombiecraig

Okay, so if all goes well, I should have a C64 tomorrow. There are no joysticks or controllers with the unit, however. I was just wondering if any of you had any opinions as to what the best joystick or controller for the C64 would be?

Also, the monitor for this one is different than any C64 monitor that I've ever seen. It certainly is not the most common version. I'm not sure what the model number is, but it is in a dark brown case with a removable plexiglass cover over the screen. At the bottom left is the Commodore logo and the bottom right feature two large function dials, if I recall correctly. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

And of course, what are the best games that I should be looking for?

Okay, so if all goes well, I should have a C64 tomorrow. There are no joysticks or controllers with the unit, however. I was just wondering if any of you had any opinions as to what the best joystick or controller for the C64 would be?

It uses the same joysticks as the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computers, so if you already have a favourite there, just use it. My personal favourites are the TAC-2, the Slik Stik, the Epyx 500XJ, The Boss, and the Wico bat-handle. Depends on what type of game, really.

Also, the monitor for this one is different than any C64 monitor that I've ever seen. It certainly is not the most common version. I'm not sure what the model number is, but it is in a dark brown case with a removable plexiglass cover over the screen. At the bottom left is the Commodore logo and the bottom right feature two large function dials, if I recall correctly. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sounds like the 1802, which is my least favourite of the Commodore monitors. You're right that it is more rare. I find the picture relatively dark and muddy compared to the 1701/1702 (my favourite for the C-64) or the 1084 or 1902.

For a start, you'd do well to check out the Lemon64 Top 100 list based on user votes. Not a bad game on the list, imo. Lemon64 also has an excellent forum if you want to find more C64 fans.

It uses the same joysticks as the Atari 2600 and 8-bit computers, so if you already have a favourite there, just use it. My personal favourites are the TAC-2, the Slik Stik, the Epyx 500XJ, The Boss, and the Wico bat-handle. Depends on what type of game, really.

Sounds like the 1802, which is my least favourite of the Commodore monitors. You're right that it is more rare. I find the picture relatively dark and muddy compared to the 1701/1702 (my favourite for the C-64) or the 1084 or 1902.

For a start, you'd do well to check out the Lemon64 Top 100 list based on user votes. Not a bad game on the list, imo. Lemon64 also has an excellent forum if you want to find more C64 fans.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that list.

Also, I think he has a C64 compatible printer to give me, as well. Is there really any reason that I should hang onto it, gaming wise? That's all I really plan to use it for, honestly.

Also, I think he has a C64 compatible printer to give me, as well. Is there really any reason that I should hang onto it, gaming wise? That's all I really plan to use it for, honestly.

I can't think of any reason. I only used my printers rarely over the years, mostly for word processing way back when, and occasionally for printing listings of programs I was working on.

Some games, like those published by Loadstar, allowed the user to print the documentation... I suppose that could be a reason.

I would suggest a Wicko, those sticks are awesome, and have two fire buttons to suit your preferance in fire buttons. Other than that, if you have an Atari compatible stick, it'll work on the C64.

As for the printer, not much uses them, and you'll most likely ahve to buy a new ink cartridge or ribbon each time you want to use it due to it going bad on you in the couple of years between uses :P If you want to use word programs ir print lists of your prigrams, it'll be OK, but for casueal use, it's probably not worth haveing.

I can't think of much use for a Commodore printer anymore. The third-party printers were much better, but with ribbons and fanfold paper so hard to find, it just doesn't seem worth messing with, at least not to me.

As far as joysticks, the Slik Stik is the best one I ever used. I tried lots back in the 64's heyday, and the Slik Stik was better than the sticks that cost 2-3 times as much.

The monitor sounds like the same one I have in my room, hooked up to a VCR -- the CM-141. The dials are brightness and volume, while the power switch is a round button about the same size as those dials but on the left side, bottom front of the cabinet. It accepts either Commodore's Luma/Chroma/Audio or standard Composite/Audio inputs, selected by a slide switch, using 5 RCA jacks on the back. If you plan to use it a lot, I would remove the smoke-colored glare filter (if this doesn't give you too much glare), and turn down the brightness. I didn't do this on mine, so it has a noticeable amount of screen burn down the left side. Of course, if it's already burned, doing this won't help it.

Regarding controllers, any joysticks that work with the Atari 2600/7800 (and several other machines of the era) will work on the C-64. Just use what you like. Commodore's paddle controllers used a different resistance value than Atari's, but AFAIK paddle games were almost nonexistent on the C-64.

The monitor sounds like the same one I have in my room, hooked up to a VCR -- the CM-141. The dials are brightness and volume, while the power switch is a round button about the same size as those dials but on the left side, bottom front of the cabinet. It accepts either Commodore's Luma/Chroma/Audio or standard Composite/Audio inputs, selected by a slide switch, using 5 RCA jacks on the back. If you plan to use it a lot, I would remove the smoke-colored glare filter (if this doesn't give you too much glare), and turn down the brightness. I didn't do this on mine, so it has a noticeable amount of screen burn down the left side. Of course, if it's already burned, doing this won't help it.

Regarding controllers, any joysticks that work with the Atari 2600/7800 (and several other machines of the era) will work on the C-64. Just use what you like. Commodore's paddle controllers used a different resistance value than Atari's, but AFAIK paddle games were almost nonexistent on the C-64.

That is exactly the monitor that I received. I think it will work out quite nicely.

As far as the controller? I just used a spare 7800 controller and I think that will be fine.

I'm partial to the Tac 2. The slik stik is also good. I haven't tried those Flashback 2 sticks on a C64 but they are very good controllers. Genesis controllers work on a 2600 so they should in theory work on a C64 (I don't think I've tried that).

As far as games my suggestion is get a 1541 disk drive and buy or trade for a box of compilation disks. Then you can just go ape crazy "testing" different games. If you have ever played around with MAME it's sort of like that. (but not so fast of course...have a handheld nearby for load times)

Some of my C64 favorites:

Space Taxi

Law of the West

Wasteland (still the best RPG I've ever played)

Pirates (if you happen to have all night to spare)

Beach Head II

I'm partial to the Tac 2. The slik stik is also good. I haven't tried those Flashback 2 sticks on a C64 but they are very good controllers. Genesis controllers work on a 2600 so they should in theory work on a C64 (I don't think I've tried that).

As far as games my suggestion is get a 1541 disk drive and buy or trade for a box of compilation disks. Then you can just go ape crazy "testing" different games. If you have ever played around with MAME it's sort of like that. (but not so fast of course...have a handheld nearby for load times)

Some of my C64 favorites:

Space Taxi

Law of the West

Wasteland (still the best RPG I've ever played)

Pirates (if you happen to have all night to spare)

Beach Head II

I remember Law of the West from my cousin's house when I was much younger. I recall it being very good. Pirates and Wasteland were some of my PC favorites.

I did get a pretty large assortment of games, but I crave more. Anyone selling some compilation disks or know where I could find something like that? Law of the West and Friday the 13th (I need to go after Jason in his black t-shirt again) are two games that I really need. I also would like the C64 version of Lode Runner. Of course the more games the better. Impossible Mission, too!

And speaking of load times, I thought Ghostbusters was never going to load this afternoon. I forgot that some games took quite so long.

Edited by BerzerkZombieBentley