IGNORED

Haunted Adventure Trilogy

atwwong

Spoiler-free breakdown: the game uses the same "rules" as in Adventure. The reason that it can fail there occasionally is that the program routine which nullifies the collision with a panel only checks if the dot is sprite1 on that frame (so you should use an odd number of objects to mix up the display order a little). There is a slight problem with the bridge, however. The bridge is automatically set to be sprite1 by the cache (for pretty much the same reason...it's own bridge routine only looks at one of the two sprites set by the cache). Whatever is set as sprite0 becomes irrelevant and the collision still happens. If you have an even number of objects onscreen and none are the bridge, you can "fix" the problem by carrying an object close to a border so that it is offscreen momentarily and forces the cache routine to scramble the display order.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

I've had it with level 6 haunted adventure 2 it is unwinable. I took the scepter to the win room but I didn't get the win music cause the moon was showing. I want the source code so I can remove the ghost that steals objects and put them in rooms I can't reach. I want to put all enemy speeds to the normal adventure level. I can't win period. I get killed by bad guys on the first screen ,can't even reach the skeleton I am angry and frustrated because someone screwed up this game..Am I the only one here who grew up with the atari 2600 as their first system cause It feels like everyone else here is an nes fanboy posing as an atari 2600 and thinking games need to be super hard ,unwinable , and frustrating. I moved a few years ago and I don't know where the manual is and don't know the difficulty switch settings for the easiest setting. No one cares that I want easy games they think everyone want super hard ones. Games are not fun when you can't win. I can''t make an adventure game cause the person that made the adventure game creator was lazy and didn't supply the original adventure graphics leaving me with a blank screen to work with.

Edited by bradhig

I've had it with level 6 haunted adventure 2 it is unwinable. I took the scepter to the win room but I didn't get the win music cause the moon was showing. I want the source code so I can remove the ghost that steals objects and put them in rooms I can't reach. I want to put all enemy speeds to the normal adventure level. I can't win period. I get killed by bad guys on the first screen ,can't even reach the skeleton I am angry and frustrated because someone screwed up this game..Am I the only one here who grew up with the atari 2600 as their first system cause It feels like everyone else here is an nes fanboy posing as an atari 2600 and thinking games need to be super hard ,unwinable , and frustrating. I moved a few years ago and I don't know where the manual is and don't know the difficulty switch settings for the easiest setting. No one cares that I want easy games they think everyone want super hard ones. Games are not fun when you can't win. I can''t make an adventure game cause the person that made the adventure game creator was lazy and didn't supply the original adventure graphics leaving me with a blank screen to work with.

Wow...

Haunted Adventure II can be conquered. If you want the enemy speeds as the "normal adventure level", but do not know how to achieve that due to your copy of the manual being misplaced, just see below. The game follows the standard rule of thumb of other 2600 games for the left difficulty switch. The 'A' setting is Advance (Hard) and the 'B' setting is Beginner (Easy).

The right difficulty switch provides yet another option for the game. When the right difficulty switch is set to the "A" position ghosts flee from the scepter. When the right difficulty switch is in the "B" position, they do not.

Per the manual:

post-18-0-47810300-1450015893_thumb.png

post-18-0-17222900-1450015901_thumb.png

post-18-0-70283600-1450015906_thumb.png

I'm sure you'll get around to beating Level 6 with more practice and patience with or without the easier setting in place. To encourage you, the Level 7 game configuration details are posted above as well.

For Level 7, it follows the configuration of A = Advance/Hard, and B = Beginner/Easy for both the left and the right difficulty switch. Details for both can be read in the above (third) attachment.

Understanding most of your post is in frustration; nonetheless, rhetorically asking, does any (2600) game developer base their game challenge settings on the whims of one individual? How much more persuasive is the reasoning and request(s) from one person when they are additionally insulting (I.E. "creator was lazy")?

This game, like many homebrews out there, are a labor of love; not a malicious tool geared to cause anger and frustration. ;)

Anyhow, happy gaming...And try to relax. :)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Kind of a spoiler below

I think the section where you have to pass through two walls is in the cave area unlocked by the circle with the cross. I have the same issues there. Sometimes I can walk into the area shaped like the original haunted house game and sometimes I can't If I take t he dot through I end up on the green screen below the entrance to the green storage shed and if I walk left I end up one screen above the starting screen.

I bought this hack a while back and have just gotten into playing it. I'm finding that for HA1 the "logic" around opening the invisible walls is quite unpredictable. Is there anything that explains when I'm able to walk through the walls and when I can't? Sometimes I need 1 item plus the eye, sometimes I need two. Sometimes I exit and enter and suddenly the exact same item combo works where it didn't before. Sometimes even with 5 items on the screen, I can't walk through the wall!

This is a little frustrating because there is a section where you are required to pass through 2 secret walls. I assume that I am supposed to push the eye through but this results in all kinds of unexpected results, and I've gotten stuck between the walls more than once before I had to completely power down the Atari. Reset of course MIGHT work, but if the eye is past the first wall then I have to wait for the bat to move things around which takes a looong time (if I've even released the bat at that point).

Anyway, what are the rules for opening the invisible walls?

• 5 months later...

Anyone find the ultimate easter egg yet so the rom can be dumped and released?

Somebody needs to go to Atwwongs house and hold a gun to his head until he tells everyone how to find the ultimate easter egg. Searching for it is killing me. I know you have to go through two invisible walls on in the cave that leads to the haunted house shaped part of the map and the other either on the screen below the green shed or the blue screen above the start room after that I don''t know what to do. It is killing my sanity and myself. I believe atari homebrew developers should be forbidden to put stuff like this in games again without providing a screenshot of what we are looking for and directions how to get there not

From your first steps,

Always do what is right.

Travel up the straight and narrow path,

Which leads life’s journey encountering both foe and friend;

Travel through the tome of truth

To find true eternal salvation for the soul.

which makes no sense. He is trying to kill me with this ultimate easter egg bs. There is no proof that it even exists.

Kind of a spoiler below

..Carry the dot on your left side when you go through the invisible wall in the cave and you can take the dot into the area shaped like the original haunted house

I bought this hack a while back and have just gotten into playing it. I'm finding that for HA1 the "logic" around opening the invisible walls is quite unpredictable. Is there anything that explains when I'm able to walk through the walls and when I can't? Sometimes I need 1 item plus the eye, sometimes I need two. Sometimes I exit and enter and suddenly the exact same item combo works where it didn't before. Sometimes even with 5 items on the screen, I can't walk through the wall!

This is a little frustrating because there is a section where you are required to pass through 2 secret walls. I assume that I am supposed to push the eye through but this results in all kinds of unexpected results, and I've gotten stuck between the walls more than once before I had to completely power down the Atari. Reset of course MIGHT work, but if the eye is past the first wall then I have to wait for the bat to move things around which takes a looong time (if I've even released the bat at that point).

Anyway, what are the rules for opening the invisible walls?

• 1 year later...

With Halloween a week away, I decided to dust off the old Stella emulator (sorry, my 2600's are packed away in boxes right now) and make a YouTube video of some Haunted Adventure Trilogy game play, doing a little shameless self-promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdGmGpoIKWQ

There's a little reminiscing about the past in my rambles; if you have time, hope it entertains...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...