IGNORED

atari jaguar controller made completly from scratch

rubixcube

Hey, if it were like, 15 years ago, Jack Tramiel would have totally hired you to work for Atari if you'd pitched this idea to him.

"A cost-saving measure? Why didn't I think of this? Let's make ALL Atari products out of cardboard and duct tape! We'll beat those darned Japanese and bring Atari back to the top of the gaming world!!"

Seriously, though - that is a cool controller.

this is a controller i made a few days ago. it was mostly made of electrical tape and cardboard for support.

-- things i used --

cardboard (cerial box) frame

toilet paper roll tubes (for the handles)

black electrical tape (for the color)

wire

led

buttons (from those Mc Donald happy meal toys)

a 15 pin port

the only thing i paid for was the wire, led and the 15 pin port ($15.00 total) and everything works perfectly. quick responce, smooth D-pad controll, easy placement for A B and C buttons. what u think? :D

Hey guy, don't listen to the negativity. Although you didn't make a DaVincci, it is still cool as Hell that you made anything at all, and especially the fact that it does work. It looks like a cool idea that would work out in a Vacuum mold as the design would be awesome as the way you have it set up would actually make for a good Jaguar pad. Have any plans to do anything else with the design? If not, at least in your messing around, you did accomplish some thing cool and original. Groovy man.

this is a controller i made a few days ago. it was mostly made of electrical tape and cardboard for support.

-- things i used --

wire

led

a 15 pin port

the only thing i paid for was the wire, led and the 15 pin port ($15.00 total) and everything works perfectly. quick responce, smooth D-pad controll, easy placement for A B and C buttons. what u think? :D

Hey guy, don't listen to the negativity. Although you didn't make a DaVincci, it is still cool as Hell that you made anything at all, and especially the fact that it does work. It looks like a cool idea that would work out in a Vacuum mold as the design would be awesome as the way you have it set up would actually make for a good Jaguar pad. Have any plans to do anything else with the design? If not, at least in your messing around, you did accomplish some thing cool and original. Groovy man.

Ok, it is cool and unique, but you shouldn't kid yourself. Click on the thumbnail and just look at it for 3 seconds and tell me it is not ugly... I wonder what would happen if you get pissed while playing with it and threw it against the wall though? lol

@ rubixcube

I wave my '#1' foam finger to his brave and noble soul and his effort! :thumbsup:

Im serious. So serious that......

This guys gets an honorary A+ in the Playground simply based on his effort!

Some one... anyone... please tell him ( as I simply have no desire to participate over 'there', TYVM)

I said Im serious! :x

the FROG!

He's not playing! ;)

Edited by walter_J64bit

I for one am cheering you on. Is it the best controller ever? No. Did you save money? No. But I bet you had tons of fun and learned a bit in the process. You probably made it 'cause you could and I appreciate that.

People just don't make things any more and I find that sad.

Rock on and don't listen to the negative comments, they just don't get it. :)

-Tim

Seriously, have you thought about converting an existing controller into a Jaguar controller? It might be kind of fun to play Jaguar with something like a Genesis pad if you could keep the keypad and option buttons in the loop...

-- things i used --

wire

led

a 15 pin port

Ok, it is cool and unique, but you shouldn't kid yourself. Click on the thumbnail and just look at it for 3 seconds and tell me it is not ugly... I wonder what would happen if you get pissed while playing with it and threw it against the wall though? lol

That's why you buy the Delux model with enhanced crumple zones to take the beating of every day life :P Yes, it's ugly, but it's darn cool all the same. Kind of reminds me of a controller I saw for the N64 a long time ago in a way, with the extra long handles sticking out the bottome like that lol

Everything starts out as a proto. Hell when they designed the AMC Gremilin the designer drew it on a barf bag in a airplane(Bad Analogy but you get the point). From Paper/cardboard comes the real thing. I like it and it sure beats the phone controller where all stuck holding as we play A vs P. I'd try to put it in the gen 6 button controller. Maybe carve out the back for the rest of the pad buttons kinda like nintendos famous z button.

Edited by Ghost Soldier

• 2 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I happened on it when I was looking for images of jaguar controllers earlier, found it endearing, and thought it needed more exposure now that its been 15 years and there's a whole different crowd on the forum.  Wonder if the original poster still has this cardboard and electrical tape controller and whether it has stood the test of time :)

As a one of a kind, its also the ultimate collectable $$$

Edited by sirlynxalot
  • Like 2

Well, I think it would be awesome to see other controller builds for the Jaguar.

As for me, I got a hold of a few boxed Jaguar controllers for like $5 a piece, and quite a few were tinkered with to make rotary controllers and one controller with a rocker switch for Breakout 2000. 

Actually dreamed of creating a cube controller with six buttons for the six fire directions of Gorf's "Surrounded".

Another I tried doing was combining a SNES controller into a Jaguar controller frame, so when I played Bubsy I and II on the SNES I could get the experience I had playing Bubsy FFT on the Jaguar.

Stuff like that.

Also on the Dreamcast I had fun hacking Atari 2600 controllers to a Dreamcast controller to make it a better experience when playing the 2600 emulator and the Atari 8-bit computer emulator.

So this creating a Jaguar controller FROM SCRATCH... actually quite amazing to me.   Want to try that now when those notes that was posted.