IGNORED

Kart racer suggestions?

So, there I was, playing "Super Mario Kart" on a Super NES and thinking, "What a darn cool game!" It occurs to me I'd like to have something like that. However, my wife would kill me if I brought another system home.

So, I'm asking for some suggestions. What's a similar -- or better -- kart racer for a PS1 or Sega Genesis/Sega CD (I would throw in the Dreamcast and Atari 7800, but I rather doubt there are any "true" kart racers for those).

Hmmm. Maybe I should get a Nuon DVD player in that home theater system I'm building and get that "Merlin Racing" thing? I don't know. Found a perfectly good DVD player that I figure will do everything I want without the hassle of going through eBay and risking getting a player damaged by shipping.

At any rate, any suggestions?

On the DC there is "Wacky Races" and "Walt Disney So Sweet, Doesn't It Just Make You Sick Magical Tour Racing." Both are "Kart" style with power-ups and weapons... both are also quite mediocre, but playable.

There is also "Loony Tunes Space Race" on the DC which is quite good. It is almost like a 2nd attempt at the Wacky Races game. The graphics are all cel-shaded and REALLY capture the look of the original cartoons.

quote:

Originally posted by Lost Monkey:

On the DC there is "Wacky Races" and "Walt Disney So Sweet, Doesn't It Just Make You Sick Magical Tour Racing." Both are "Kart" style with power-ups and weapons... both are also quite mediocre, but playable.

There is also "Loony Tunes Space Race" on the DC which is quite good. It is almost like a 2nd attempt at the Wacky Races game. The graphics are all cel-shaded and REALLY capture the look of the original cartoons.

Very, very cool. I'll have to check out the last one for the DC. Thanks for the suggestion!

If you have a Jaguar, Atari Karts is great. The NUON Merlin Kart I hear is good as well and it's the "spiritual" successor/sequel to the Atari Karts game, both were done by Mericle Designs (did I spell that right?). But then, most of the NUON'S few games are Jaguar sequels...

Another game you might try, while not a "kart" game, has a very similiar "feel" to games of this genre is REVOLT (radio control sim) on the DC and other platforms. It has the whole power-up thing going for it as well as similar feel to the cars and how they handle as compared to kart racing games. I love it.

quote:

Originally posted by Gunstar:

If you have a Jaguar, Atari Karts is great. The NUON Merlin Kart I hear is good as well and it's the "spiritual" successor/sequel to the Atari Karts game, both were done by Mericle Designs (did I spell that right?). But then, most of the NUON'S few games are Jaguar sequels...

Another game you might try, while not a "kart" game, has a very similiar "feel" to games of this genre is REVOLT (radio control sim) on the DC and other platforms. It has the whole power-up thing going for it as well as similar feel to the cars and how they handle as compared to kart racing games. I love it.

Actually, had a Jag until last year. Still, the DC stuff sounds pretty darn good, and I'm still leaning toward Nuon just to pick up the couple of good games for it (still miss "Tempest 2000" for the Jag, after all).

Thanks for the suggestions.

Looney Tunes Space Race for the Dreamcast is very good... although the AI leaves a lot to be desired... I'm positive that there's a huge load of computer assistance that pops up any time you start getting too far ahead, so in essense, you end up being forced into a small pack with everyone so that the race is made more "fair". The problem with this is that you can sit content in your spot up until the final lap, and then use a speed boost to jump ahead at the final second and win the race. It works almost every single time, and makes the whole race a complete waste of time. If you ignore that strategy, or just play against human opponents, you'll get a quality game though. Everything other than that complaint is top notch.

However, I have to give kudos to Mario Kart 64 as being the best of the Kart racing games. Since you don't have an N64 though, I'm guess that it's out of the race. (Ha Ha! What a DELICIOUS pun! HAHAHAHA!!! ... sorry... it's been a long day...)

--Zero