IGNORED

Mattel Hyperscan Review

Lord Thag

they should contact the five of us who paid full price for the PoS, and give us free games along with the whole set of cards for each game.

It's sad that we all knew ahead of time this thing would be a disaster, but I would have never guessed just how half-assed this was handled.

It's like they got a list of everything that makes games suck and compiled it into one unit.

Heh, this thing is making the Jaguar look like a monster success!

I don't know about everywhere else, but I know that around here any store which has put them on sale has cleared out of the systems quickly. Meanwhile, TRU still has them at full price and can't move them at all.

So, it seems to support my idea that people might find it appealling at $50 or $40, but snort and walk by at $70.

• 1 month later...

Hate to bump this but I recently picked up one of these for the whopping price of $6.95 at Target along with all the games minus Marvel Heroes. X-men is as bad as the review states, IWL doesn't like me, and Ben 10 is not only horrible the levels are also ridiculously short. The good news? Copying a game was as easy as copying a SEGA CD or TCD game. So, yes, it can read CD-Rs. Which is also really good for homebrews.

EDIT: Btw, Ben 10 was the most expensive at $2.95 iirc.

Edited by Cheese007

• 4 weeks later...

I saw some Hyperscan stuff in a local Goodwill as well. Here's the best part: I had seen it marked down to a crazy extent at Target. Then a week later, i saw the same pile in Goodwill, Target tags partially scraped off, and repriced at twice what Target was selling it for. Yeah, because if Target can't move something at $2, you can sell it for $4. Way to go, asshats. Man, Goodwill is both disappointing and hilarious these days....

Rick my friend, they will release one more game just to piss you off :). All you need is yet another game to collect 50+ cards for! I know that Spiderman 3 was planed for a release, but who knows if it will come out. I know that my Local Wal Mart still carries the thing and some cards, my guess is that Wal Mart will maybe get one more game(Spiderman 3). This is just speculation, but it could be the reason that WalMart has not clearanced them out yet.

I skimmed over the whole thread. I never saw any here, but I think I remember seeing controllers for it at walmart still for twelve dollars (it's elpaso, they're behind everywhere else) but none in the goodwill or discovery shop.

Are there any homebrews for this thing yet? Better yet, anything to make this thing into some kind of weird linux computer? Since it sucks as-is a few good hacks might do it good.

Edited by nathanallan

I haven't seen any hombrews for it. I do wish someone would make a car combat type game for it. You could have cars with weapons to upgrade instead of a person/character. Something like the old Interstate '82 pc game.

I think it would be very hard to make you're own game for it. How many people know how to make an rfid card? HAHA

Well, the cards can be read and written to, to my understanding. So...you just find a common card, or group of cards with around the same ammount of room on them, and you could use them as a handy data storage for uh...saveing your games or something :\

So....I still don't know exactly what this is though. Is it it's own system, a NOAC type thing, or is it a dedicated flash or what?

Well, the cards can be read and written to, to my understanding. So...you just find a common card, or group of cards with around the same ammount of room on them, and you could use them as a handy data storage for uh...saveing your games or something :\

Anyone tried a prox reader on the cards? I wonder if they use any standard format?

Edited by supercat

Anyways, there's an exe on the game CDs called hyper.exe that, whenever run, briefly flashes the message "not enough memory to run program" and crashes.

That was mattel's attempt at making the thing go hyperspeed, but since they lack the tech it just don't work :roll:

If I could find one cheap around here I'd get it just to see if I can enhance it. Cards or no.