IGNORED

A recursive contest

batari

We have a winner! For our easter egg contest, that is. But the Hunt the Wumpus cart needs a label! So we are running a contest within a contest to get a label on it!

But unlike other label contests, the prize will not be a copy of Hunt the Wumpus, as there will be one and only one cart of this game, ever, and it is going to Spiceware. Instead, the best label wins a free 2005 Minigame Multicart or the equivalent value in AA store credit if you already own the cart.

You can get the binary for Hunt the Wumpus in the original contest thread.

However, Hunt the Wumpus was not made with a normal Atari cart shell with separate front and end labels; instead the label is a single sheet, 4.25" x 2.675", with end-label graphics actually appearing on the upper 1/2" or so. Some label designs for similar styles of cart shells were done in this thread.

I'd like to see 300 DPI or more, so that means the label should be about 1275x806. For this thread you can post something smaller in a lossy format like JPG to save space, but you will need to hold onto a full-sized copy in a lossless format, such as TIF, BMP, etc.

Deadline: Sunday, October 15, 2006, at 11:59 PM PDT, which is sometime on Monday in GMT but I'm too lazy to check.

Edited by batari

Nice and creepy. If I understand the label layout, I think the text should be at the bottom so it wraps over onto the end of cartridge.

Putting it on the bottom would probably work just fine, but on these carts the end portion is actually on the top.

For example:

http://www.atariage.com/cart_page.html?SoftwareLabelID=269

Might be good to cross-post in 2600 and Homebrew forums; get more participation.

From the look of things, Trogdor will need a label soon, too...it might help if this were a shared contest.

I hadn't thought of that. Maybe after a winner for this portion is selected, Trogdor can feel free to extend the deadline and include the rest of the previously submitted entries in his own label contest. I can edit the initial post and include a second deadline for his cart or he can start his own thread and link to this one. Or if he doesn't want to run a contest but he likes a label design, he can PM the individual authors. Either way, it's up to him.

Here's one I've been putting together over the past few days. There are supposedly no light sources in the game, but you always seem to know what each cave's number is...sort of a joke, maybe? :)

I could do a layout more along the lines of an Activision cartridge (with the same art) if anyone's interested.

Update: minor tweak to the bat's wings.

post-5114-1160795136_thumb.jpg

post-5114-1160852682_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jacob Rose

I thought I would give it a go.

Given that you don't really know what a wumpus is exactly, I decided it looked it's a gigantic walking stick.

post-2152-1160845830_thumb.jpgpost-2152-1160845875_thumb.jpgpost-2152-1160845894_thumb.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoops, I guess you do kind of see it in the game, and it's definitely not a walking stick, oh well, I had a good time making these.

Edited by Opo Terser

This won't affect the contest, but for those of you who are putting credits on your label, Hunt the Wumpus was programmed by Bob, using Fred's basic compiler.

In my humble opinion, a few lines of fine print explaining the background of this cartridge would be a good idea, just in case there are still Atari collectors in 50 years.

Edited by Zach

This won't affect the contest, but for those of you who are putting credits on your label, Hunt the Wumpus was programmed by Bob, using Fred's basic compiler.

In my humble opinion, a few lines of fine print explaining the background of this cartridge would be a good idea, just in case there are still Atari collectors in 50 years.

Good idea. No need to change any submissions - We can work that out with the winner after the contest ends.

Definitely! Wish I'd gone to look at the binary earlier. Apologies to Bob Montgomery!