IGNORED

New Coleco handheld with Sega games on it, other games

Flojomojo

I just saw this in my Target today as well, and it DOES look pretty cool... the wife and i put it on the to-buy list, so hopefully it won't be too long of a wait. $50 is kind of a big risk, but if it's incredibly bad i could always break something subtle and internal, and return it. :)

Just a thought-- since I was just playing Dk for the CV with meka... If this is an SMS on a chip, how hard would it be to make it Colecovision compatible? Or to simplify, how hard would it be to play a CV cart on an SMS original hardware? Both z80 based... The emulator had the slight changes to make it work is what got me thinking. :) Maybe as simple as a BIOS change? Not sure with the updated video chip, and not the super-tech some of the guys here are. :)

This could go either here or in the VG Pocket thread, but I thought it would fit better here, due to it being more bizarre in its relation to Coleco than to VG Pocket: I recently found that the Target near me with the aisle full of Coleco-branded products had stocked on the same shelves some of the Disney Princess Pals handheld LCD games previously announced by PDP, the VG Pocket people. The price tag and hook for these had been there beforehand, so this wasn't a surprise, but what was on the package besides the Disney and VG Pocket names was a surprise: this, too, was branded "Coleco." Along the bottom border of the front of the box was the same Coleco logo as on the bottom borders of the other Coleco products on the shelf, and the bottom side of the box had the Coleco Holdings brand information, right below text that said something like "manufactured and distributed by PDP, makers of VG Pocket." How in the world did the Coleco brand get attached to this product? And, well, why? There was no mention of this in PDP's earlier press releases about it. I also checked some of the other Coleco products on the shelf, but none of them had the VG Pocket or PDP names on them, only this one.

As if that weren't strange enough, today, I was browsing through a Best Buy and saw both the Disney Classic Pals and Princess Pals handhelds on a shelf--but unless I've just plain blocked it out somehow, the Coleco logo was not on these boxes. So, not only is the Coleco logo on a product on which it is just completely out of place, but it isn't even consistently there. This is nearly as bewildering as if I walked into a store and saw a pair of Kingdom Hearts games on the shelf, both of them with the Disney and Square Enix names on them, but one with a big "Coleco" on the cover. This is just branding gone nuts.

Incidentally, I have edited one of my earlier topics and updated my list of all the plug-and-play games (the ones fitting my critieria for inclusion) I know of here; the 20061028 edition of the attachments is the new one, in case you couldn't tell.

onmode-ky

well, at least it's better than carrying a large black brick with a 2-minute battery life to get your portable Columns fix... even though the Game Gear Columns sucked royally.. dunno 'bout Super Columns though...

Super Columns for GG is great, I think. I have to say that playing against the CPU was an act of futility, though. Even on the easiest levels, it'll humble you down pretty quickly. :|

And I never owned a Master System, and the GG battery life is useless (I play only with wall and car adapters now). So those are the two primary reasons why I was wondering if this thing would be coming to other stores like Wal-Mart (no local Targets here).

When I made my last post in this thread, there were less than 4250, somewhere around 4230 or so, views of the thread. In not even two days, the view count has jumped to over 6400. What in the world happened? What's so special about this weekend that made this one thread so unusually popular? Was there something at VGXPO that made this thread get tons of views? I'm just stunned.

onmode-ky

Found these internal pics online, don't know enough to know what I'm looking at but maybe someone will see something useful.

What's so special about this weekend that made this one thread so unusually popular?

Maybe more Target stores are getting them in stock? Mine still doesn't have anything Coleco-branded.

Edited by SomeGuyWithDSL

Regarding those dissection pictures from http://zombiechow.com/photos/ColecoSega/

It would appear that there's a blob of epoxy on top of the ROM chip, making it difficult to get additional/different games on to the device.

post-2410-1162219918_thumb.jpg

I don't think that's the Rom chip, I think that's the "Sms on a chip" chip. I thnk the rom chip is the one with the sticker on it.

img005.jpeg

img006.jpeg

Edited by hailrazer

The stuff is now up on the Target website (didn't see it there the other day). 7 items total online now.

http://www.target.com/gp/search.html/ref=s...keywords=coleco

Also, anyone else find it amusing that this Coleco branded Sega seems to have (in the first picture) a hidden Atari logo in the top left corner? :) (the wires coming thru look like the Atrai Fuji to me-- but then again, it's early. :)

Edited by Murph74

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, if anyone can't find this, Target.com has recently added a local store inventory search (at least I didn't see the option last week). Just search for "Coleco" and it will be the first returned item, then click the button to find it at a local Target store.

Good call-- only 2 stores in St. Louis have it so far-- no wonder I haven't seen it. :)

For those in the 'Lou, Hampton Village and St. Peters as today.

Got one at the local Target today for $30 it is on sale through Dec 11 I believe...the system is awsome, the screen is backlit and better than the original Game Gear, you get 20 games. Some I have played only a few Dogs(2 or 3 light gun games WHY???). But it is everything you could want it even comes w/ cordes to hook it up to your TV. The only complaint except why they picked these particulare games is that it does not have a joystick port for the few 2 player games...minor gripe.

This is a great value for the 30-50 price range they will sell quite a few, can't waite for Part 2.

As soon as I found out here that the Coleco Sega handhelds were on sale for $30 at Target (thanks, Pete!), I immediately went out and got one -- I wouldn't have if they were still $50.

I thought for a horrible moment that it didn't work when I first switched it on, but it takes a couple of seconds for the Coleco logo to come up.

I must say, I'm largely pleased with it, except for a couple of minor things... first of all, they didn't have adult players in mind when designing the unit -- it's a tad small for larger hands. And the audio is in a higher key than normal. But that's all right -- it's a freakin' portable SMS, and I love it!

I can certainly be proud of owning this handheld. It'll be even more exciting when we figure out ways to hack it!