IGNORED

New Coleco handheld with Sega games on it, other games

Flojomojo

Actually, he said "$20 off," so he also paid $30 for it. I picked one up yesterday for $30, but I'm not opening it yet, in the hopes that the price will drop when that Target store sees that none of the remaining units are selling. . . . I still think $30 is too much, given my level of interest. I've got plenty of waiting time, since the holiday receipt says it's valid for returns up to March.

I think Coleco must have the SMS/GG games license only for the US. Meanwhile, a company called PlayPal appears to have the license for some other countries, including Canada. Flojomojo mentioned PlayPal two months ago, with respect to an auction on eBay, but it was only recently that I found their website. In addition to the handheld SMS/GG, PlayPal's website claims that they're also producing the plug-and-play model that's shaped like Sonic's head, as originally announced early in the year by others. However, I'm not aware of anyplace actually selling that model, though I saw some eBay auctions claiming to be selling it.

I'm still confused why the joystick knob is shaped like Sonic's right fist, when it's on the left side of his head. What, did he finally get fed up with it all and punch his fist right through his skull?

onmode-ky

P.S. I finally figured out that this thread has soooo many more views than the typical Dedicated Systems thread because it's directly linked from some other web pages. Apparently, this thread is the accepted authority on this product.

Edited by onmode-ky

• 2 weeks later...

I just got one today and am pleasantly surprised. It is great as a portable and even better when you plug it in a tv. The only downside for me is that I have to buy a 5V adaptor as I don't want to waste batteries when I don't have to. BTW, mine also doesn't play sound out the left speaker. I think it is either for show or there are some defected ones going around.

I just got one today and am pleasantly surprised. It is great as a portable and even better when you plug it in a tv. The only downside for me is that I have to buy a 5V adaptor as I don't want to waste batteries when I don't have to. BTW, mine also doesn't play sound out the left speaker. I think it is either for show or there are some defected ones going around.

I called Coleco yesterday and their tech support is an answering machine, it said to leave a message and a Coleco Rep. would get back to me soon, as of 12:11 am 12/28, I have yet to get a call, (I dont expect one now but im just putting down the time I'm writing this).

The Local Wal-Mart still has a bunch of these, branded as PlayPal, for around $20 Cdn. I bought one when the price hit $20. Looks like a mix of Sega Master System and Sega Game Gear games; and not a paticularly good mix either. For instance, there's two versions of Columns, but no Space Harrier or Hang On. Still, for $20, it's definitely worth it. I figure they're not selling very well because: 1) They're hidden at the bottom of the controller display for 3rd party XBox and Playstation controllers, and 2) There's no way of knowing, by looking at it, that there's an LCD screen, or if it's backlit.

I researched these quite a bit when they were selling for around $60. At that time, I discovered there was a "Low cost" version, something like $30, that didn't have the LCD screen. Can't find that anymore. It is one of the better half-assed attempts I've seen, I will admit; but to fetch the price they were asking, they would've need to go with better packaging and incorporated some of the better games.

On 12/12/2006, I wrote, "I picked one up yesterday for $30, but I'm not opening it yet, in the hopes that the price will drop when that Target store sees that none of the remaining units are selling." Later that day, actually, I remembered that Target does take back opened products, so I went ahead with opening the Coleco Sega handheld. I tried out all of the games . . . and I determined that it just wasn't for me. The only games that really caught my interest were Ecco II, Penguin Land, and to a lesser extent, Sonic Triple Trouble and the Alex Kidd game that takes place in a house. I was particularly disappointed with Fantasy Zone; I had thought that, since I typically like scrolling shooters, I'd most certainly like it, but I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go (some instructions would have been nice), and I couldn't tell enemies/obstacles apart from the background, so I just kept dying. Two of the games seemed nearly impossible to play because they appeared to be light gun games (one was a shooting gallery type of game, and the other, either Astro Warrior or Global Defense, was a space shooter involving simultaneously moving a ship and a targeting reticule). Ecco, as expected, was my favorite game on the system . . . but with so few other games appealing to me (and since I already have all 3 Genesis Ecco games on the PS2 Sega Genesis Collection), $30 was more than I felt it was worth to me. So, the next day, I returned it to Target--and discovered that they had actually raised the price back up to $50, despite it appearing that they weren't selling even at $30. And even after the holidays, the price was still $50 (and they had even loaded up more stock on the shelf, which was still not selling).

Speaking of prices, if anyone is interested in the VG Pocket Tablet and/or Caplet, they have both dropped by $10 from their respective original prices at GameStop.com. And while on the subject of online stores, I should also note that Target.com (but not the brick-and-mortar Target stores) is now selling the PlayPal Sonic 20-in-1 joystick, for $20. I had thought that PlayPal only had the rights to sell both the Sonic handheld and the joystick in Canada (their website displays 3 flags, of which one is Canada's and none of which are the United States'), but I guess maybe the no-US restriction only applies to the handheld. That is, maybe Coleco has exclusive US distribution rights for the handheld, but PlayPal can sell the joystick version in the US. Anyway, I'm still not willing to spend $20 for the joystick version, and moreover, a joystick would seem to be a poor controller for Ecco.

By the way, Tortured Soul, just 6 posts before yours, I had already posted about the PlayPal World website.

onmode-ky

P.S. For any who may be interested, earlier tonight, I updated the Comprehensive Plug-and-Play Listing thread, with the most recent version of the pnpgames.txt attachment, as well as explanation on the new date columns in the file.

Very interesting regarding this device...

Anyone have any screen shots of the menu'ing system?

I'd also like a closer look at the CPU chip, cause I'd swear that is the one my team officially reproduced (and holds the license for) from Sega for the SMS/GG.

This is our device:

post-23-1168318384_thumb.jpg

20 Licensed Sega SMS/GG games...

We also just got official licensing for the Genesis chipset and are working on some products now.

Curt

• Like 1

The Playpal is actually a rebranded version of our TV Game unit which we are selling directly under the Power Shock/Monolith brand... I actually prefer the Power Shock version, it comes is a VERY high end package and also the joystick/fist is a lot nicer looking. The Playpal unit is toyed down a bit too much for my taste.

The Playpal lcd handheld (which is the first I've seen in that packaging is just branded as Coleco - why I don't quite know or understand) But the playpal handheld does appear to be our FunGear system in a different design, still need to look at the CPU chip, if I'm right, its ours.

CUrt

I think this might be the link that some of you are looking for... PlayPal

The Plug & Play system looks interesting to me. I actually went to Target to try and find it but I ended up buying this instead... SEGA Genesis Vol. 2

P.S. For any who may be interested, earlier tonight, I updated the Comprehensive Plug-and-Play Listing thread, with the most recent version of the pnpgames.txt attachment, as well as explanation on the new date columns in the file.

Under Techno Source you should also add these two that were just released late last year (2006)

Intellivision 10 2nd Edition

Activision

Under Techno Source you should also add these two that were just released late last year (2006)

Activision

Are you sure you're looking at the right file? Those two are already in there. Always look at the file with the most recent datestamp (which is also always the largest file), in this case, 20070105. I leave the previous attached files there for historical purposes only.

Curt, I have no screenshots or any other pictures, but I can describe the Coleco Sega's main menu for you. It's a simple text menu, of the non-scrolling type; that is, instead of scrolling, it is split into 2.5 pages of game selections. The two Sonic games are at the head of the selection list, and the rest of the games follow in alphabetical order. I think the background was colored, green maybe, while the text was white. I returned mine a long time ago, though, so I can't be sure.

Also, I've never even heard of the Power Shock/Monolith brand. Where do I find one of these high end models? And what are the plans for the Genesis chipset?

onmode-ky

I will speak with distribution and see what the Monolith/Power Shock versions are being channeled through. I really only focus on engineering and business development, so I don't know all the specifics on this particular line we put together back nearly 1 year ago.

On Genesis - I'll let everyone know when the time comes.

Curt

It is an SMS on a chip, I have the pinsouts for the chip, I'll scan them this coming weekend and post the chip pinouts, you could definitely add a cart interface onto it if you wanted, you'll need to disconnect the power and cs lines to the onboard ROM first.

Curt

So Curt ... what kind of CPU in the Master System game? Is it SMS-on-a-chip or something else? Any hope of adding other titles to it? ;)

Late comer to the thread, but I did notice the Target near my workplace had a whole aisle dedicated to the coleco stuff. Very interesting to see this stuff. I don't know how good selling these things are but there were a lot of them still there.

It's interesting that Coleco was selling the virtual kickboxing/golf/etc games because it smacks of duplicating what the Nintendo Wii is doing. :D

Activision

Are you sure you're looking at the right file? Those two are already in there. Always look at the file with the most recent datestamp (which is also always the largest file), in this case, 20070105. I leave the previous attached files there for historical purposes only.

onmode-ky

Got it, thanks!

:cool:

Very interesting regarding this device...

Anyone have any screen shots of the menu'ing system?

I'd also like a closer look at the CPU chip, cause I'd swear that is the one my team officially reproduced (and holds the license for) from Sega for the SMS/GG.

This is our device:

post-23-1168318384_thumb.jpg

20 Licensed Sega SMS/GG games...

We also just got official licensing for the Genesis chipset and are working on some products now.

Curt

Here is a lousy screenshot of the menu. :lol:

Although I don't remember seeing Sonic Blast on this unit... ;)

post-3211-1168466847_thumb.jpg

It is an SMS on a chip, I have the pinsouts for the chip, I'll scan them this coming weekend and post the chip pinouts, you could definitely add a cart interface onto it if you wanted, you'll need to disconnect the power and cs lines to the onboard ROM first.

Curt

So Curt ... what kind of CPU in the Master System game? Is it SMS-on-a-chip or something else? Any hope of adding other titles to it? ;)

How is that done? I thought the rom chip was globbed. I hope you post that pinout soon :)

EDIT: Whoops.. their are no globs

Edited by EmOneGarand