IGNORED

What's Total Carnage like?

LS650

Hi.

I've searched the forums for any reviews or comments on "Total Carnage" for Jaguar, but found next to nothing. Anyone out there want to write a review of this game? All I've found is that people generally like the game, but there are a few vague complaints about the controls. :?

Ive played it a bit and it seems as if its a good game unfortunetly I dont seem to get very far.That seems to do with the control issue as im used to playing it in mame and it seems so much easier.Im going to be picking up a pro controller from Carl(songbird) to see if that improves the play factor!

Until then maybe someone else will chime in and give a little more info :)

Ive played it a bit and it seems as if its a good game unfortunetly I dont seem to get very far.That seems to do with the control issue as im used to playing it in mame and it seems so much easier.Im going to be picking up a pro controller from Carl(songbird) to see if that improves the play factor!

(I'm the publisher, so take what I say with a grain of salt)

I would definitely recommend a ProController with this game. You can play it by hammering the outer ring of keys on the keypad to direct your fire, but the ProController will help you hit about 75% of these directions thanks to the extra buttons. Once you know what the weapons and powerups are (and when to call in an air strike), you can get pretty far IMO even after just a couple of hours of playing.

• Like 2

This game is awesome for the SNES system. I have that copy for mine.

OMG - the SNES version is horrible compared to the arcade! :P

Anyhow - the Jag version is excellent. It's lower color depth wise, but still looks good. The control is a bit awkward using the numberpad, but considering the alternative would be two controllers (like say Robotron) its quite good. When I get my Pro Controller, I'll let you know :)

Oh, and until recently I owned the original arcade TC, as well as Smash TV ;)

• Like 1

I wonder how this Jaguar version compares to the Amiga AGA version?

The Jag version is a full arcade port and has the intro, cutscene, etc. pieces. It's also much faster paced than the Amiga version.

And since I just happened to be messing with Dscaler and the Jag - here's some pics. Jag for the win! :D

post-5887-1160628260_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1160628271_thumb.jpgpost-5887-1160628277_thumb.jpg

1st on left is Amiga - the other two are the Jag ;)

Edited by remowilliams
  • Like 1

There's an interesting Total Carnage auction on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Total-Carnage-CIB-Atar...1QQcmdZViewItem

Someone built a keypad overlay that mounts a small disc over the keypad and hits the outer number keys when you tilt it. Works like a 2nd joypad for the firing direction.

Yeah and the high bidder is also selling the same game!! WTF, clearly he wants to resell the game for a profit. LOL

Oh, sweetsstuff4u. Yeah, this guy seems to be some kind of Jaguar 'speculator'; he buys up stuff, then immediately turns around and sells it in his eBay store for a higher price. It's not good for true collectors, but what are you gonna do?

I brought up the auction because the keypad overlay pad seemed like an interesting idea. The control scheme seems to be the only real blemish on the Jaguar port.

I asked the seller about it, and he said: "It's hard to explain the adaptor I made, I just carved it from some plastic pieces from a CD case, and it touches the 2,4,6, and 8 keys in such a way to make the adaptor function very much like a joypad."

• 1 year later...
I brought up the auction because the keypad overlay pad seemed like an interesting idea. The control scheme seems to be the only real blemish on the Jaguar port.

I asked the seller about it, and he said: "It's hard to explain the adaptor I made, I just carved it from some plastic pieces from a CD case, and it touches the 2,4,6, and 8 keys in such a way to make the adaptor function very much like a joypad."

That is interesting. I might have to make some of those discs.

In the meantime, some questions:

1) has anyone figured out a warp number for the first warp key sequence?

2) there was this gate we came to (we being some friends and I tonight). We could not open the gate. Anyone know how to open it?

My friends discovered that with two warps they could warp to Orca the mother of all monsters and they actually defeated the Orca boss. :) I was impressed.

My friends, being between the ages of 10-13 loved Total Carnage BTW. ;)

I wish the game could be played like the 5200's and 7800's Robotron, Right game controller for firing and left controller for moving and for two players use the TeamTap. ;)

I bet you could hard wire a D-pad controller into a Jaguar controller to take on the functions of the number pad.

It's amazing all the specialized controllers I've made and planned to make due to wierd controller issues like this. :)

• 9 years later...

To respond to my own post and for posterity's sake...

Using the forum search function I found an old post from Carl with Songbird (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/226894-total-carnage-pro-controller-compatibility/?hl=total+carnage&do=findComment&comment=3189231). How meta is that! You should use the forum search just as I should have done before I posted this... Anyways it appears B&C, and not A, are used on the standard controller. B to hold position and fire and C to drop a bomb.

Hope this helps any future generations after the Morlocks take over.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That game reminds me of "Guerrilla War" by SNK... This was the neighborhood go-to game when in the mid 80s thanks to a local handy-pack store that had the game. Everybody in the neighborhood knew and played this game to death with some even spending tens and twenty dollar bills in quarters to beat the game. The game-play was very brutal.

I found the game very difficult and I would imagine almost impossible to beat without some sort of code for lives on the Jaguar. I was only able to get far and eventually beat it by playing it on the MAME emator where you can keep hitting select for unlimited tokens and therefore I never had to worry about a game over. I couldn't imagine it to be beatable on the Jag with the # of lives given.

Lol did you get one without instructions?

The keypad is workable but not fantastic. Why handmade software did not give the user the option to configure the Pro controller buttons themselves is beyond me. As they are I tend to still just use the keypad. But will give it a few more goes and see if I get use to it better.

Here's a video of someone comparing all the ports.

I think this Handmade Software code is incomplete. Pause feature does not work. Death animations are all the same as the above reviewer points out regardless of the situation. But watching the video a lot of the other ports seem to have the same problem oddly enough.

Some animation missing from the opening scenes like distant flash and boom of battle behind reporter.

• Like 1