IGNORED

More MIA...long day!

zektor800

I have *much* respect for all of the folks that have previously ripped disks. This is quite time consuming :)

Well, keeping with my word, I used a good portion of my day off and went through one box of the disks I recently acquired, checking/testing/matching titles to the current MIA list. Here is what I came up with and successfully ripped:

Adventure On A Boat

B-1 Nuclear Bomber

Cave-In

Computer Football Strategy

Divex

Great War - 1914

Jerry White's Music Lessons

Re-Ripped Jingle Disk (explanation to follow)

Market Forces

Sports Spectacular

Star League Baseball (seems to be a variant, maybe lost preview disk?)

Statistics I

Galactic Adventures

Labyrinth of Crete

Pharoah's Curse

War

Notes:

There are a few I current CANNOT copy, and I have tried PRO and ATR formats....every time they boot half way and then stop loading. These programs are "Math Football" and "Decimals". The disks are labeled "A Product Of The Software Guild" and run a SG logo before running the said title. Can anybody assist in any ideas for ripping these correctly?

I have another disk that matches the name of a game on the list, although the company does not match. "The Quest" by "Penguin Software". Does this need ripping? I tried anyway, and again, another disk that refuses to copy correctly.

B-1 Nuclear Bomber is part is a multi-title disk, so I am not sure if this is what is wanted. I ripped it anyway.

While I can get "Cave-In" to load by loading binary file, I cannot seem to run anything on the Jerry White Music Lessons, Market Forces, Divex, or Adventure On A Boat titles. What on earth am I doing wrong?

The programs ripped to PRO format need to be this way. I originally ripped them to ATR with no success....which leads me to believe they are indeed copy protected. The PRO rips work fine.

Star League Baseball seems different than the release I have on the HD. It has a load screen that the current rip does not. AND, if you try to run this on an 800XL, it thinks you have a basic cart inside the unit and will not boot. I had to switch to 800 OSB (Ape Warp rocks) to get it to boot. Maybe this is the preview disk in the MIA list?

I found the "Jingle Disk" in the lot. I know it is ripped, and I had it on the HD previously. BUT, the ATR I had seems to have been ripped incorrectly. If you load it and press "1" for the jingle music/graphics, a graphical error appears on the screen and the program freezes. My rip does not exhibit this behavior. Kind of glad I found this with the holidays coming up :)

Again, if anybody can assist in answering my questions and/or helping me rip the mentions disks correctly, it will be much appreciated.

Without further ado, the disks:

PS: Oops...Wargle was accidentally included in the bunch :) Sorry!

More_MIA.zip

Edited by zektor800

Nice work. :D

Is your labrynthe of crete a copy or an original?

Steve

I was waiting for somebody to ask this, as the game is listed as a R10 :) It is a copy, but oddly enough, copying this game to the standard ATR format created an image that locked up during boot. The only method I could use to get this game to function like the actual disks was to rip to PRO. Any idea why this is? I got these disks along with a 1050 Happy modded drive from the same person. I do not know much about the Happy drive personally, but if I were to make a guess it would be that this copy was copied from original disks at one point using Happy Backup....that is if Happy Backup completely mirrors the original copy protection scheme. Can this be correct?

Edited by zektor800

I was waiting for somebody to ask this, as the game is listed as a R10 :) It is a copy, but oddly enough, copying this game to the standard ATR format created an image that locked up during boot. The only method I could use to get this game to function like the actual disks was to rip to PRO. Any idea why this is? I got these disks along with a 1050 Happy modded drive from the same person. I do not know much about the Happy drive personally, but if I were to make a guess it would be that this copy was copied from original disks at one point using Happy Backup....that is if Happy Backup completely mirrors the original copy protection scheme. Can this be correct?

Yes all 4 disks of LoC are copy protected by a few CRC sectors in track #1, so the copies probably were made by a Happy or Archiver drive.

I actually have an original of LoC here. :cool: I've been trying to get the VAPI tool working properly to dump them. It will be good to have two sources in any case, for such a super rare title.

Thanks again for taking the time to dump all these titles, I know how quickly going through a collection can eat up time.

Steve

Edited by classics

Yes all 4 disks of LoC are copy protected by a few CRC sectors in track #1, so the copies probably were made by a Happy or Archiver drive.

I actually have an original of LoC here. :cool: I've been trying to get the VAPI tool working properly to dump them. It will be good to have two sources in any case, for such a super rare title.

Thanks again for taking the time to dump all these titles, I know how quickly going through a collection can eat up time.

Steve

I did notice two bad sectors show up on each disk (sectors 2 and 3 I believe) although everything seems to load fine regardless. Other than producing a proper dump, the copies I just uploaded should be fine, no?

As for VAPI, from what I am to understand this is sort of like the Amiga "sps" or C64 "nib" imaging schemes (in imaging a protected disk perfectly)? Sounds good, and perhaps what I am going to need to back up some of these stubborn disks. Hopefully you can get it working some day!

Edited by zektor800

There are a few I current CANNOT copy, and I have tried PRO and ATR formats....every time they boot half way and then stop loading. These programs are "Math Football" and "Decimals". The disks are labeled "A Product Of The Software Guild" and run a SG logo before running the said title. Can anybody assist in any ideas for ripping these correctly?

Actually, I don't think they're copy-protected. The important thing to know is that they should be loaded with BASIC. We have Math Football already (listed under Softsmith) but not Decimals :)

I have another disk that matches the name of a game on the list, although the company does not match. "The Quest" by "Penguin Software". Does this need ripping? I tried anyway, and again, another disk that refuses to copy correctly.

Nope, thank you. The one we're after is by Survival Software.

B-1 Nuclear Bomber is part is a multi-title disk, so I am not sure if this is what is wanted. I ripped it anyway.

We're not going to use it because virtually all the credits have been changed and I'm not sure how authentic it is but it's good you sent it. Does anybody have a version that doesn't say "by Powersoft"? The disk version should also be a bit different so if anybody has it on boot disk, please let us know...

While I can get "Cave-In" to load by loading binary file, I cannot seem to run anything on the Jerry White Music Lessons, Market Forces, Divex, or Adventure On A Boat titles. What on earth am I doing wrong?

You need to load them with BASIC (don't press OPTION when you turn on your 800XL).

Star League Baseball seems different than the release I have on the HD. It has a load screen that the current rip does not. AND, if you try to run this on an 800XL, it thinks you have a basic cart inside the unit and will not boot. I had to switch to 800 OSB (Ape Warp rocks) to get it to boot. Maybe this is the preview disk in the MIA list?

It's not the one we're looking for but it's still a better release. Your version just had the protection removed and it still has the original loading screen. The one you had previously was cracked, "filed" and the intro was removed. In short, it was a good thing you dumped it :)

BTW, anybody willing to crack Labyrinth of Crete so it can be used directly with emulators without waiting for the VAPI version?

Zektor800, thanks again!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

Edited by www.atarimania.com

BTW, anybody willing to crack Labyrinth of Crete so it can be used directly with emulators without waiting for the VAPI version?

I'll take a shot at it, give these a try.

I have not played through the game much to see if it works 100%, but the game does load in Atari800Win now.

Steve

crete_cracked.zip