IGNORED

Anything you wish you hadn't passed up on?

Rik

About 2 months ago,I past up a 2600 DEV unit at my local Value Village,BECAUSE OF MY IGNORANCE.I later posted my finding on ATARIAGE,and everyone said i should have bought it,as its considered a treasure,went back ,and it was GONE.I AM KICKING MYSELF RIGHT TO THIS DAY,I thought the DEV unit was a home modification,by some bloke who just wanted to modify his 2600,so i past on it,I had no previous knowledge of what a DEV was.I realise most of you guys here are extremely knowledgeable,but,when first starting out collecting,is there anything today,you wished you hadn't passed on when you had the chance to buy it?It would make me feel better!Thanx in advance!

Yeah,around 1997 I saw KayBee selling Jaguars new for $30,wish I had got one(but I did get a new Sega CD for $20!)

Later on,I saw Jag CD systems for about the same price there.

Saw a 32x develpment kit on Ebay,went for relatively cheap.Wish I got that,but wasnt sure if it was legit. :ponder:

Yeah, I wish I'd brought more money to the SC3 Meet this past Saturday. Jason Forster was selling just about all of his Atari carts at $2 each or so. I got 6 of them, including Mr. Do!'s Castle and Frogger II: Threeedeep! and there were about a dozen more that I wanted, but I was broke. Oh well, had to leave some for the other guests, I suppose! ;-)

Edited by A.J. Franzman

The simple answer is yes, lots of things. I was about to pass up an R6 NES cart one day, and I knew that was the last time--heck that was the only time I'd seen one, so I got it. I grabbed a StarCraft 64 when I really didn't have the money to spend. I think I ate outta the microwave that weekend instead of going out.

Passed on an Intellivision system--it's gone. One of the store employees was wanting to buy it, though, so hopefully he got it. I've also passed on several somewhat overpriced 2600 consoles, too.

Passed on the K6-III processor when it came out, now look how hard those are to get. I've got a dead one sitting right here--once again, it's the only one I've ever laid eyes on. They're surprisingly fast, too. Before it died, that one I have woulda left this PIII 800 in the dust, and it's maybe half the clock speed.

Actually, I've passed on a lot of PC hardware that I wished I hadn't...the Barton 3200 with the 333 FSB, the Via KT-333 chipsets, Duron C 1.8GHz, couple of DVD drives, geez, there's too much to list.

The biggest goof, though, has to be Virtual On gold. It was listed as a PC CD-ROM title with, IIRC, the game and some extras burned onto two gold CD's. I've got a small collection of 24kt gold CD's like those. Retail price was $40, and I didn't wanna spend it. I figured I'd get it later, but that was the last copy and they sold it before I got back.

I think just about all of us here have passed up some Atari items we wished we had bought when we had the chance. About 5 years ago, I could have bought a NIB copy of Mr DO's Castle for about $90.00 but passed it up for a NIB copy of Montezumas Revenge!

:ponder: :( :sad:

Passed up (or rather gave up) on a complete mint copy of Chubby Cherub on ebay. I didn't realize at the time that the box only shows up like once a year for sale. I would have easily dropped the $75 that it went for if I had known. The box and manual alone could probably top over $100 now.

I had an older friend that died a few years back. Well, back in the days befor I knew anything was very collectable, He offered me a bunch of Atari games and a system, and I turned it down. As it turns out, his taist in games, ment he had a bunch of rather bad, but rare titles. He had a Coke Wins cart too, hell it's just a lame ass space invaders game as far as I was concerened, but at the time I was buying games for like $2 and he wanted like $10 for most of them.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have laughed all the way to the bank.

7 or 8 years ago, I was in a 'classic' toy shop--one of those places that carries all the old Star Wars and GI Joe toys you played with as a kid, but charges a fortune for them. They had a batch of Atari games, and hidden in it all was a loaner cart of Dodge 'Em. I debated on buying it and ultimately decided not to, since I already had it.

WHAT WAS I THINKING? :roll:

My biggest regret is having ordered Vanguard instead of Crazy Climber when my parents told me I could order one game from Atari Age magazine! :mad:

WOW Room I had that exact same situation!!!

and still regretting it LOL

Fortunately there's not too many things that I've passed up on and regreted. Usually if I even had a slight idea that the item was rare or fun I'd pick it up. Kind of like the copy of Boing! that I found at a flea for $2. Had never heard of it at the time, thought it might be rare for that reason, didn't realize until checking it on-line what I had found.

Passed on a whole box or so of CIB Zellers carts at a flea market that were around FOREVER in the pre eBay days. About 5 years later the box shows up (a little lighter) at another flea market! Bonus!!!!

Did miss out on a clearance Virtual Boy ($35) at a local Electronics Boutique. The item was up high on a shelf, and the clerk basically gave all sorts of reasons why i wouldn't want it (the primary one being "eye trouble"). I said I'd come back later, but got sidetracked and never did. Picked up a used one the next week at a Cash Converters for $10. Never did get the new in box one.

I think I've been pretty fortunate in the "regrets" department.

About 5 years ago in Brooklyn I found a Greeting Card store that sold some old toys and on top of there front shop they have three BOX Microvision units new for $5 each. I told my self Ill get them later but I never got the time to get there till it was too late now Im living here in TN :x

Ahhh, that's one of the ones that DIDN'T get away. Around the same time that the used toy shop I mentioned earlier had the loaner cart I didn't get, they also had a boxed Microvision and about 5 loose games for $12, and I simply had to have it. Thanks to ebay, I've created a complete collection of games now (even the European ones if I recall correctly, but it's been a while since I played it). The only bummer is that the box doesn't have the cardboard inserts--it's just a box with everything loose in it.

Not getting Quadrun, Crazy Climber, or Gravitar from the Atari Video Club.

Passing on a complete Crazy Climber a few years ago from a friend who was hard-up for money. I truthfully told him he'd get more at auction than I could offer; he was trying to do me a favor while getting a little cash.

Passing on the dozens and dozens of copies of late-release INTV Intellivision titles (Mud Buggies, Spiker, etc.) at Toys 'R' Us that sat untouched/unbought for nearly a decade.

Forgetting a complete 2600 Pengo at the thrift store I worked at, remembering just in time to see it go out the door.

Passing on a few free arcade games from a local 80s-themed bar (Space Invaders, gibberish-marquee Q*bert, cocktail Kick) because I didn't have the room. I asked the owner if I could get them a few months later, but the bar burned down. (The bar had over 100 classic machines to boot...)

About 7 years ago, I had just started collecting for the 5200, and this place close by was selling out of business. Well, I actually got my 5200 from them, and one of all the different games they had, which was only a few....

Well, as it turns out, one of the games they had multiple copies of, and turned out to have a lot of them, was Bounty Bob Strikes Back. They had 8 of them, and I got one.

Not knowing of it's value or rarity (considering half the games I got, didn't have boxes, it didn't strike me as odd that the stack didn't have boxes) I didn't think anything of it. A week later, someone was talking to me about Atari games, and I mentioned the place, and later thought I might check my games I bought, everything worked great, with the exception of BBSB. So I went to the store and wouldn't you know, they sold out of EVERYTHING. Typical, I still think the guy that asked me about the games probably asked, for the soul purpose of buying everything and reselling it. Bastid. That kind of pisses me off, but what really pisses me off, is the fact I got, probably the only non working copy of that game.

At this store in Grand Rapids, called Vidiots, they sell Atari games from the 2600 to the Jaguar, as well as old NES, Genesis, and current games from X-Box 360 and PS2. Anyway, I saw a copy of Kool Aid Man from M-Network there for $9. I should have gotten some money and bought that ASAP. But now it's gone. This was a couple of years ago.

At this store in Grand Rapids, called Vidiots, they sell Atari games from the 2600 to the Jaguar, as well as old NES, Genesis, and current games from X-Box 360 and PS2. Anyway, I saw a copy of Kool Aid Man from M-Network there for $9. I should have gotten some money and bought that ASAP. But now it's gone. This was a couple of years ago.

I heard of that store,you guys in the states have the COOLEST stores,there's nothing like that here in Canada,at least where i am,cant recall the last time there was a classic gaming convention either,you guys get all those too!