IGNORED

I want to get my passion back

MegaManFan

Wow, what a thread man.

I've never played any emulation, hell I just bought my first computer about 2 months ago unless you count my Amiga 500 I bought back in the late 80's. I don't think I would really care for emulation though, nostalgia is a big part of collecting and playing for me. Collecting the rare stuff is a little newer to me, it's been about a year now I've been gunning for the rare one's and most of the stuff I need is getting way out of my league (R10) which causes a major interest loss as well. It is kind of frusterating to know most of the games I need will cost me $1000 or more. I also spent a lot of cash on my gameroom recently so that slows my 2600 collecting as well which also makes it tempting to cash out. No more thrifting is a big part of it also, I collected a near complete NES collection going to Gamestops etc.. and once I had them all (except Stadium Events, etc..) I sold them and haven't looked back once. I never lose interest in playing the 60 or so original Atari games I owned as a kid, even the ones that suck balls. I will never sell those again.

I too, would like to re-ignite my passion for Atari. I have plenty of obstacles in the way of that, such as a collection in disorder (it really needs to be re-organized) and so many other things.

I recently dropped a course because the stress was killing me (possibly literally as I've been sick lately) so I'm hoping to have more "me" time to do things I want, such as playing video games. :D

I too, would like to re-ignite my passion for Atari. I have plenty of obstacles in the way of that, such as a collection in disorder (it really needs to be re-organized) and so many other things.

I recently dropped a course because the stress was killing me (possibly literally as I've been sick lately) so I'm hoping to have more "me" time to do things I want, such as playing video games. :D

My passion seems a bit dim for the lack of Atari buds to "hang" with.I literally have to play with myself,especially the harder stuff that requires 2p,like Combat.....oh well :ponder:

Seriously though I have to say thank you to everybody for their comments and suggestions. One thing I noted after reading the responses is that one of the things I miss IS the thrifting. I'm not saying I'd want to hunt down every 1-7 again from scratch, but there was something genuinely exciting about hitting every flea, thrift, game shop and pawn only to once in a while find something totally unexpected and cool like a Tomarc the Barbarian or a Pole Posit'n. Now I can't work up the enthusiasm for it because the odds of finding anything I don't have have dwindled so low pawing through the 10,000th pile of Space Invaders, Pac-Man and Defender just doesn't do it for me any more.

Well, even though I've long since had the actual cart, I still head out to "Chase the Chuckwagon" once a week, but here's the twist for me: networked thrifting.

Basically, there are so many Atari and other classic video game collectors around my neck of the woods that the thrifts are just tapped out. For my friends in other parts of the country, however, this isn't necessarily the case. So, while I'm out thrifting and looking for games, I'm also looking for rock & heavy metal concert t-shirts for my friend in Texas and boxed Sega Genesis games for my friend in Alabama and beer-themed merchandise for my brother in North Carolina and so on. These people, in turn, hit their thrifts for stuff I want - classic video games - while they are looking for their own stuff, and a couple of times a year we mail packages off to each other (depending how successful we've been). It's fun and you'll get a nice surprise because you don't know what will be showing up in the mail.

Also, having definitely crossed the line from gamer to collector and back and forth all the time, while I still love to game (only by myself), one thing that renews my passion for games is to have video game parties (typically one a year at this point) and haul out all my consoles, set them up, and invite people to play. People are excited to see that fond old Atari again (and other consoles, too) and their favorite game(s), plus they typically go "wow, I never knew there were so many games for this" or "what the heck is that?" (pointing usually to a weird controller or the Virtual Boy) and I can give a little history lesson or some other context. This combines the fun of playing with the enjoyment of knowing something about the field.

Plus, I like to read and write about video games, so that is yet another venue that keeps my interest piqued.

Of course your interests will ebb and flow, that's just human nature, but if you truly have a passion for something it will stay with you for the long haul no matter how far and near you range from it.

• 9 months later...

I've had my VCS since I was a kid, and for me, the whole experience of the system, the carts, the paddles and joysticks, the colors and sounds, these will never be repalced by emulation IMO. Yeah, a computer blows the VCS out of the water a thousand times over, but to me, the VCS is synonimous (sp) with my childhood. It became an oasis in an otherwise troubled up-bringing. For a few minutes, I wasn't "just some kid", I was Beowulf, or Joe Namath. I am curious to see the games I do not have, to play Quadrunner, or Obelix, but if it means running an emulator, then I don't want them. Just my opinion.

I think we all go through moods where we 'get out' of the hobby for awhile. It's not a bad thing. There is a LOT more to life than games! Sometimes it's good to get away from them, you know? They'll always be there when you find the mood again (unless you're dumb and sell everything). I think people worry too much about always being 'in the mood'. Hell, when I was a kid, I wasn't ALWAYS playing games, you know. I did lots of other things too. Same as now.

Having a bunch of friends over to play is a great way to 'catch the bug' again though. So is joining the High Score Club and playing whatever they are playing. Want to know the easiest way of getting back into the hobby? It's simple. Just pick a couple of your favorite games, and make yourself sit down to play them for an hour, even if you'd rather do something else. Chances are (if you're like me), you'll get back in the groove and rediscover the hobby all over again.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Lord Thag

I was out of interest for Atari for a long time. For me I've always liked the games rather than building a near complete collection. I don't really know why, that's just how I am. I have a lot of systems and I'll hop from platform to platform to keep it fresh. One Week I'll try to beat a handful of SNES games. The next week it's casually playing some shooters/arcade translations on the genesis, etc., etc.

A lot of people say thrifting makes it fun too. I still love thrifting for the 2600. Every once in a while I'll get lucky and find a less than common game (Like H.E.R.O. for 99 cents!). I've also thinned out my collection quite a bit. sometimes having a more focused collection helps you appreciate it more. Hang in there man. Just like anything, don't do it too much or you may get too burnt out. Hell, sometimes I just sit back and take in the collection by looking at old ads I have, box art, cartridges, etc. You're just in a funk, I'm sure it will pass. It did for me :)

Wow, what a thread man.

I've never played any emulation, hell I just bought my first computer about 2 months ago unless you count my Amiga 500 I bought back in the late 80's. I don't think I would really care for emulation though, nostalgia is a big part of collecting and playing for me. Collecting the rare stuff is a little newer to me, it's been about a year now I've been gunning for the rare one's and most of the stuff I need is getting way out of my league (R10) which causes a major interest loss as well. It is kind of frusterating to know most of the games I need will cost me $1000 or more. I also spent a lot of cash on my gameroom recently so that slows my 2600 collecting as well which also makes it tempting to cash out. No more thrifting is a big part of it also, I collected a near complete NES collection going to Gamestops etc.. and once I had them all (except Stadium Events, etc..) I sold them and haven't looked back once. I never lose interest in playing the 60 or so original Atari games I owned as a kid, even the ones that suck balls. I will never sell those again.

Sometimes I read some of the crap I posted when I first joined and just wonder why?

Well, even though I've long since had the actual cart, I still head out to "Chase the Chuckwagon" once a week, but here's the twist for me: networked thrifting.

Very interesting. I can certainly see the network thrift thing. Dallas is nice for that. :) (Trader's Village, Thift Town, Electronic Discount Sales, First Saturday... simply amazing.)

I liked this thread. There are many times people miss a passion in their life. And some would give the phrase "They are trying to fill a God sized void in their heart with things not as filling."

Possible.

The fact is, we tend to be unhappy, and we believe that pursuing what we don't have might be the key. Very often we sort through all we've seen and realize "I liked that one thing back there a lot".

And so the retro trend started. Many of us probably thought we left Atari in the dirt years ago and that Atari was foolish to go back to. Then after a few game systems and trying that better and better thing, we realized, I was happier playing Atari games.

Same for work... sometimes we get promotions and realized we should have stayed at some point where we were happier.

Well, to me life is about balance. I think we need to explore beyond ourselves. But honestly not everything is worth exploring. In recent times I have managed this by meeting interesting people who tell me about things I should try.

Really this is how I came across the Atari 2600 (friend had one in the 2nd grade), the Atari 400 computer (friend had a Atari 800 in the sixth grade... I liked it better than the Colecovision another friend had). Later as a Junior in high school I saw my friend's Mac midi setup, been a Mac user ever since. And lately I was showing a kid at church the Atari Jaguar, which he liked, but then showed me his Dreamcast. Been exploring the Dreamcast ever since.

Where is my passion in this hobby? Ultimately the people! My dad helping me hack my 400 to 800 standards. Talking to friends on BBS's and places like here! And that high score club is just AWESOME fun.

To me the game systems are a bridge to people and memories. THAT is the basis of the passion here.

So if you are feeling out of it, just play along with the folk here, keep in touch, and enjoy time as one of the guys. It doesn't always have to be about collecting.

Anyone remember the musical "Rent" and in the song "Living in America" they say that when you're in America, you're what you own. Basically staying that "your stuff defines you."

So are you defined by your stuff, is all you have to say is "I have enough games cartridges to fill a school bus" or are you more than that. Does your stuff define you, or do you define your stuff?

And ask yourself if that is the way you view others. If you only view others here as stuff, then dig deeper and get to know your fellow high score opponents better. :)

Later!!

I think it's normal to get bored of something after a while. One of things that keeps me interested in Atari is the anticipation of getting something new, whether it's a game, some new hardware or a Flashback console. I expect that once someone has everything they want, the anticipation starts to wear off. It's only a matter of time until it comes back though. Absence makes the heart grow fonder...

I'm logging on AA at least once a day now, slowly getting back into the rhythm of reading forums and posting here and there (usually in General Chat) but what I'm really pondering is how I should get the passion back for Atari and I'm looking for suggestions. Are there specific VCS games I should be playing, buying, or looking for? Should I go on a holy grail quest to get a complete boxed copy of some rare game or pick up an R10? PAL games? Brazilian PAL-M's? I just can't figure out what direction to go or if I'd even be motivated. I could use some advice, I could use somewhere to start. I want to get my passion back.

It sounds like you need a new goal to revive you interest. Try writing a review of a game you haven't thoroughly played yet. Or map out a game that hasn't been mapped yet. Explore some detail of the Atari 2600 world that interests you and share what you find.

I have to agree--by and large, my passion for Atari has faded, too.

A lot of that is because I have a 2 year old and I haven't played it around her because she'll wreck the whole collection when she realizes what that bookshelf of boxes and games are. I have an ancient 80s 15" TV that is just for the Atari and as far as she knows, it's broken (i.e. not hooked up to Cable, so it's just static when she turns it on).

I've gone through fallow periods where I haven't played or collected and have always come back, but I'm suspecting I'm 'done'. I have about 400 games and anything 'new' to me would be an investment of $30 or more--which is ridiculous when I don't play it much and I have a toddler to feed. I'd never sell it all, but I don't see it regaining the place in my life it had before in the past. I think I enjoy the history of Atari, the collecting and memories of thrifting more than playing (and for the record, I love games but I really suck at just about all of them--no skillz, as they say). Losing the thrill of finding stuff in the wild--due to the lack of thrift stores, vintage game stores and junk shops, the rise of ebay, and the sheer lack of free time in life--is a big part of it. I loved the hunt, and the hunt is gone. There's no excitement in placing a bid on ebay, just anxiety.

Bummer.

There's no excitement in placing a bid on ebay, just anxiety.

I can relate to that.

The thing to remember about Atari, and in particular the 2600, is that people moved on to bigger and better things such as the 800XL and 5200 or 7800 consoles. Even retro gamers need to move foward, though it's only matter of time until fashion turns full circle and everyone returns to the really old games. I've only been into the 2600 retro scene for about a year and the novelty is already starting to wear off. I'd never sell it though. You never know when the nostalgia bug is going to bite.

Edited by MRB

Very interesting. I can certainly see the network thrift thing. Dallas is nice for that. :) (Trader's Village, Thift Town, Electronic Discount Sales, First Saturday... simply amazing.)

I liked this thread. There are many times people miss a passion in their life. And some would give the phrase "They are trying to fill a God sized void in their heart with things not as filling."

Possible.

The fact is, we tend to be unhappy, and we believe that pursuing what we don't have might be the key. Very often we sort through all we've seen and realize "I liked that one thing back there a lot".

And so the retro trend started. Many of us probably thought we left Atari in the dirt years ago and that Atari was foolish to go back to. Then after a few game systems and trying that better and better thing, we realized, I was happier playing Atari games.

Same for work... sometimes we get promotions and realized we should have stayed at some point where we were happier.

Well, to me life is about balance. I think we need to explore beyond ourselves. But honestly not everything is worth exploring. In recent times I have managed this by meeting interesting people who tell me about things I should try.

Really this is how I came across the Atari 2600 (friend had one in the 2nd grade), the Atari 400 computer (friend had a Atari 800 in the sixth grade... I liked it better than the Colecovision another friend had). Later as a Junior in high school I saw my friend's Mac midi setup, been a Mac user ever since. And lately I was showing a kid at church the Atari Jaguar, which he liked, but then showed me his Dreamcast. Been exploring the Dreamcast ever since.

Where is my passion in this hobby? Ultimately the people! My dad helping me hack my 400 to 800 standards. Talking to friends on BBS's and places like here! And that high score club is just AWESOME fun.

To me the game systems are a bridge to people and memories. THAT is the basis of the passion here.

So if you are feeling out of it, just play along with the folk here, keep in touch, and enjoy time as one of the guys. It doesn't always have to be about collecting.

Anyone remember the musical "Rent" and in the song "Living in America" they say that when you're in America, you're what you own. Basically staying that "your stuff defines you."

So are you defined by your stuff, is all you have to say is "I have enough games cartridges to fill a school bus" or are you more than that. Does your stuff define you, or do you define your stuff?

And ask yourself if that is the way you view others. If you only view others here as stuff, then dig deeper and get to know your fellow high score opponents better. :)

Later!!

Very well articulated doctorclu. Couldn't agree more.

:cool: