IGNORED

5200 controllers suck

phuzaxeman

The CV controller was apparetnly supposed to have a rounded joystick instead of the disc-like thing it does have, but was changed before launch to *surprise* save money. I can't remember where I actually read that; it may just be bullshit. As a guy who grew up with the CV, I am comfortable with its controller. This is probably the same situation with those that like the 5200 controller for the most part. Even still, I like the option to use other controllers, and I don't think it lessens the system to play it with controllers other than the ones it was shipped with.

And thus, it follows, calling the 5200 controller a piece of garbage is also a statement of opinion, not fact, and clearly, one that quite a few people very familiar with the 5200 controller disagree with you, about. So... there you go.

Calling the 5200 controller junk is an opinion. Stating that most people who bought the system felt this way is not.

most people? how much? can you prove that? unless you have objective evidence, then it's still an opinion. if you asked 7 of my friends back in the day (that had 5200's) if the controllers were "junk," you'd get 7 answers of the controllers aren't junk.

hence, saying the controllers are difficult to use and have had a reliabilty issues and saying they are garbage are two completely differnent things.

The closest I've seen to objective evidence is a claim that Atari's market testing showed many gamers disliked the controllers, and that most of them felt a self-centering joystick would have made the controller much more appealing.

Which isn't the same as everyone with a 5200 thought the controller was junk.

The CV controller was apparetnly supposed to have a rounded joystick instead of the disc-like thing it does have, but was changed before launch to *surprise* save money. I can't remember where I actually read that; it may just be bullshit. As a guy who grew up with the CV, I am comfortable with its controller. This is probably the same situation with those that like the 5200 controller for the most part. Even still, I like the option to use other controllers, and I don't think it lessens the system to play it with controllers other than the ones it was shipped with.

I grew up with both platforms, having an Adam and a 5200. I have both again, and, I am fortunate enough to have a Coleco with a 9p passthru for an Atari stick modded into it. I've got a FB2 joystick permanently hooked up to the Coleco, and I can't think of a single game where I would PREFER to use the Coleco stock controller, although I *can* play with that controller, because I grew accustomed to it back in the day. Mousetrap, I suppose, because the keypad is such an integral part of the gameplay. I bet Gateway to Apshi would be the same, if I had it on cart still. But, that is still a different story. I would use the Coleco controller because it would be awkward and difficult to do otherwise in those cases. There are 5200 titles where I prefer the 5200 stick because it is actually SUPERIOR on those titles to a digital stick, not *just* because it uses the keypad, as well (e.g., Star raiders). If I *could* play Mousetrap with a digital stick effectively, I would.

Which isn't the same as everyone with a 5200 thought the controller was junk.

Small correction... which *still* isn't the same as...

:)

I hate those damn 5200 controllers. When I bought mine, I had two, that worked fairly well. Didn't use them very much, and here we are, a couple years later, and they barely work. What the hell is that about?

And even when they did work, it was hellish to do anything. What good is pac-man if I can't make those tight turns when I need it most? Breakout with analog may have sounded like a good idea, but that failed pretty hard as well.

It may be harsh, but those things are a total bitch to deal with, and I hate their breaking down for no damn reason, I hate their analog controller's terrible inaccuracy for digital-controller based games, I hate the buttons that don't work half the time, and I hate their tiny cord. Everything about them is just pisspoor and just sort of thrown together to compete with the intellivision. I can tell you this, I've used the INTV a lot more than the 5200, and I never had control issues with the buttons, or the disc. Not even in Pac-man!

I hate those damn 5200 controllers. When I bought mine, I had two, that worked fairly well. Didn't use them very much, and here we are, a couple years later, and they barely work. What the hell is that about?

And even when they did work, it was hellish to do anything. What good is pac-man if I can't make those tight turns when I need it most? Breakout with analog may have sounded like a good idea, but that failed pretty hard as well.

It may be harsh, but those things are a total bitch to deal with, and I hate their breaking down for no damn reason, I hate their analog controller's terrible inaccuracy for digital-controller based games, I hate the buttons that don't work half the time, and I hate their tiny cord. Everything about them is just pisspoor and just sort of thrown together to compete with the intellivision. I can tell you this, I've used the INTV a lot more than the 5200, and I never had control issues with the buttons, or the disc. Not even in Pac-man!

this response is almost too funny with how many "i hate..." (no offense)

sounds like you never updated your controller and you just owned the 5200 within the last 5 years. :-)

put a check in the SUCKS catagory for me

thats why i sold off my entire 5200 collection

plus i never played this system until 1990 so it holds no sentimental value to me at all

i sold one system to ubersaurus when the controllers were just cleaned and they still sucked

out of the 30+ systems i own the 5200 ones were the worst, i never had any other controllers breaking on me except the 2600 controllers but atleast there are more then 1 kind of controller you could use with that system that doesnt cost more then the system is worth

the controller problems have been fixed for the most part with the adapters that are out now but those cost as much as the system is worth and i will never regret selling that pos system :P because i got 5 atari 800 multicarts with more and better games then i had with the 5200 alone

I got the perspective of my experience with them now vs. my experience with them as a kid. My mom bought me a 5200 literally at launch the first day it hit the local electronics store. So I KNOW my opinion of the sticks back then. They weren't bad.

However before all was said and done my mom had bought me no more than 6 spare 5200 sticks as each of them failed very shortly after buying. If you can picture me pressing the "start" button as hard as I could (until my face was red) into the floor in vain attempts to start my games, that's how it was. That's actually one of my primary memories regarding the 5200! :lol:

Eventually we got a wico stick but we could never find the keypad so not even that worked out all that well for most games (i.e. Joust). So, I don't know if I thought the controllers "sucked", I just know I was really sad I couldn't play most of my games. :|

The fact that they broke I think is a major factor. There is a sort of happy ending to the story in that I eventually grew up, and was able to figure out to take them apart and clean out those damn start buttons and the controllers magically worked again. But by that point years had past, and the 5200's time was long gone. So it doesn't really matter to me that we all can fix 5200 controllers easily now, and that there are better parts etc. What counts to me is the 5200 controllers when they mattered to the average layman/kid who wouldn't know how to fix them. And for that, they sucked then ;)

But yeah, when working... they're fine :)

Edited by NE146

Throw my hat in the "I like 'em when they work" camp.

Mine were very easy to fix, too. I haven't seen this mentioned in this thread, so I'll mention it.

Rear window defogger repair kits come with a little vial of copper paste. Open up your 5200 joystick, pain the carbon contacts under the fire buttons, let it dry, put it back together and you've porbably taken care of 90% of your problem as the increased conductivity seemed to take care of the "pause start reset" and number buttons, too.

For the record: I did play it as a kid (15 or 16 yrs old) and even when they worked they took some getting used to. The non-centering thing was definitely something to which I had to adapt.

I think saying that "many people dislike the 5200 sticks" is pretty much a given. There doesn't need to be a study or a survey. The fact that a few people on these forums like them also doesn't need to be studied. It is by no means a stretch of rationality to state:

Few like the 5200 controller; many dislike it for reasons often discussed.

We few, we happy few, who actually like it should just accept that we are freaks. Like a small percentage of bacteria who survive a toxin, we are the mutants who could survive what was, to many, the painfully toxic environment of the 5200 controller.

Can we live with those terms? Few and many? Does anyone really need a study to accept them?

Edited by Mezrabad

don't get me wrong as a kid, i had issues with the 5200 controller. i even opened the start button and put foil and that seemed to work until my parents bought me some new controllers.

the simple fact that we're debating and this thread is on its way to over 60+ replies support that some people live with 5200 faults yet still think they're still good, some people hate the joysticks, and others are somewhere in between.

in this genre of atari video game systems, there isn't a perfect controller: 2600 gave me the most blisters plus there's only 1 button, my 7800 gave me the most cramps and is one of the most unconfortable, and the 5200 was the most confortable for me, but needed to be fixed the most.

it all comes down to the people that have sentimenal value for the 5200 aren't going to care about what all the haters think.

had atari originally release the 5100 (5200 jr), released their self centering joystick, and made the 5200 directly compatible to the 2600, it would have done better.

but the country was going through the crash and it really wouldn't have mattered, since atari was also losing millions already....timing is everything and the crash wiped out colecovision too.

It's not just nostalgia. I never owned a 5200 back in the day, but I have one now and like it fine. The controllers are unreliable, but they do not suck. If you rebuild one with good flex circuits and new carbon dots, they work just fine. Compared to the intellivision, colecovision and the rest, the 5200 sticks are pretty advanced. hell, we didn't get analog control until the PSX and N64! When the controllers work, they are one of my favorite classic joysticks.

Seeing the "you had to grow up with them to like them...."comment pop up, I'll have to say that, I'm not one of the ones that grew up with it.

In fact, the first time I got an Atari 5200, was actually around 98 or so. And as I said, the controllers were a joy to me....But they did fail fast, and I'm not intelegent enough to take it apart, line everything up and get it back together, so I'm not one of the ones to fix them.

But still, in my oppinion, I loved the working controllers, and still play with the 5200 when I get one to work.

Another vote for the controllers sucking.

What surprises me the most is theres a person in the world that prefers playing Super Breakout with that thing instead of a 2600 paddle.

if you're good at the analog 5200 controllers and you get high scores than why use the paddle?

it's just a matter of preference.

this response is almost too funny with how many "i hate..." (no offense)

sounds like you never updated your controller and you just owned the 5200 within the last 5 years. :-)

"Update"? It's the stock controllers. It's not worth spending like 40 bucks to get them upgraded and repaired when I don't have anyplace to hook the gargantuan 5200 up at anyway. I mean, the controller still work well enough to play stuff like Moon Patrol or Star Raiders, but that doesn't mean that I don't find them to be utter bollocks the rest of the time.

And yeah, never had it as a kid. Saw one at a yard sale for 20 bucks one time, but didn't have the money to buy it. Just as well, as I doubt my 11 year old self would have been able to fix the controllers anyway. The system itself is excellent...it just fails in this one regard. I feel my rage towards those aneurysm sticks is justified!

the simple fact that we're debating and this thread is on its way to over 60+ replies support that some people live with 5200 faults yet still think they're still good, some people hate the joysticks, and others are somewhere in between.

No, you're still saying "some" live with them and "some" hate them.

Using the same vague word, "some," implies some kind of peaceful equilibrium between the two camps.

You seem to think that were everybody who accepted the 5200 Joysticks to pile onto a weighing pan on a giant scale and everyone in the camp that hated those sticks were to pile on the other weighing pan, that the two plates would rise and fall for a bit before settling accross from each other, level enough for each camp to wave at each other around the low-friction support between us.

It isn't that way at all. Their numbers would crush us. Your stalwart defense is gallant, like a feathered hat, but you are in the Alamo, man, look outside, they outnumber us on a Combat to Crazy Climber ratio. If this were a war, you and I would be in a prison camp making door hinges.

Enjoy the fact that You can swim in the toxin and live. Only you and a few others like these controllers. Drink the Kool-Aid and embrace your inner freak.

Edited by Mezrabad

And thus, it follows, calling the 5200 controller a piece of garbage is also a statement of opinion, not fact, and clearly, one that quite a few people very familiar with the 5200 controller disagree with you, about. So... there you go.

Calling the 5200 controller junk is an opinion. Stating that most people who bought the system felt this way is not.

most people? how much? can you prove that? unless you have objective evidence, then it's still an opinion. if you asked 7 of my friends back in the day (that had 5200's) if the controllers were "junk," you'd get 7 answers of the controllers aren't junk.

hence, saying the controllers are difficult to use and have had a reliabilty issues and saying they are garbage are two completely differnent things.

Didn't one of the gaming sites do a survey, poll or ranking about the worst game controllers? IIRC, the 5200 was way up there.. up there, that is, in being bad.

And I'm pretty sure Atari itself recognized the problems in the 5200 controller design, hence the changes that were made for the 7800.

If you like the 5200 controller, that's fine. That's your opinion and your experience. But you've got to recognize that you're seroiusly outnumbered by the amount of people who have a negative opinion of the things.

And at this point, I'm not sure what "back in the day" opinions matter for. What matters today is that these controllers are a serious detriment to the system still being used. They weren't very good then, and they're really no good now. I wonder how many 5200 systems have been trashed because someone found one, tried to use it, found that the controller was no good, and just gave up. Not everyone is going to know about the repair solutions available, or the rare and often costly alternatives.

Edited by Brian R.

Didn't one of the gaming sites do a survey, poll or ranking about the worst game controllers? IIRC, the 5200 was way up there.. up there, that is, in being bad.

And I'm pretty sure Atari itself recognized the problems in the 5200 controller design, hence the changes that were made for the 7800.

If you like the 5200 controller, that's fine. That's your opinion and your experience. But you've got to recognize that you're seroiusly outnumbered by the amount of people who have a negative opinion of the things.

And at this point, I'm not sure what "back in the day" opinions matter for. What matters today is that these controllers are a serious detriment to the system still being used. They weren't very good then, and they're really no good now. I wonder how many 5200 systems have been trashed because someone found one, tried to use it, found that the controller was no good, and just gave up. Not everyone is going to know about the repair solutions available, or the rare and often costly alternatives.

:-) no one is denying the problems of the controllers. do u really think after of 20 years, a system's controller would not need some replacement or repair if it had been played a lot during the years? most people that would actually buy an old system would look online for controller problems.

as far as the 7800 controller as a real improvement, that's a joke. look around and do the research on how many problems and how uncomfortable these joysticks are.

why do i have to recognize that i'm outnumbered that i like the 5200 controllers? i could care less about what the majority says about the 5200 controllers just as much as i could care less that many people think the jaguar was a waste. i still enjoy them all (ataris) and i think that's the point. i know in this point in time, my rebuilt 5200 controllers have lasted over 2 years with not a problem.

most people that own luxury sport sedans around 30 grand buy the bmw 325i, audi a4, infiniti g35, volvo s40, or the lexus 250i. that's what outnumbers all cars in that price range. however, i drive a loaded subaru legacy. doesn't it matter that i'm outnumbered? not really. my car still kicks those cars on the xcross, 1/4, and 0-60 times, plus comes with awd and is the safest among the bunch, and still has all the bells and whistles....i'm off tangent and just trying to make an analogy, but i think you get the point....it's all a matter of preference.

:-) no one is denying the problems of the controllers. do u really think after of 20 years, a system's controller would not need some replacement or repair if it had been played a lot during the years? most people that would actually buy an old system would look online for controller problems.

I think the 5200 is the only system that you can pretty much bet on the controllers not working after 20 years. I've had problems with many CX-40 sticks, but even the majority of those work fine (and they are much easier to fix). But overall, if you find a system and controllers, they generally work fine, unless it's the 5200.

as far as the 7800 controller as a real improvement, that's a joke. look around and do the research on how many problems and how uncomfortable these joysticks are.

I agree, the 7800 controllers also suck. :)

..Al

I think the 5200 is the only system that you can pretty much bet on the controllers not working after 20 years.

Likewise, the only controller you can pretty much bet that an eraser, rubbing alcohol, screwdriver, and a few q-tips will *fix* the broken joystick, when found broken after 20 years.

:)

5 out of 8 of my 5200 joysticks were refurbed fine without any additional parts. A 6th needed a replacement flex circuit from Best. The remaining two gave up their parts so that my PMP RSI joystick could have life, and of those two, one is currently in duty as the keypad passthru for that same RSI stick. So... 1 out of 8 could not be salvaged in some capacity.

I've got a bin FULL of dead CX26 and Slikstik joysticks that are either beyond repair or not really WORTH repairing. Cheaper for me to just buy a FB2.

I think the 5200 is the only system that you can pretty much bet on the controllers not working after 20 years. I've had problems with many CX-40 sticks, but even the majority of those work fine (and they are much easier to fix). But overall, if you find a system and controllers, they generally work fine, unless it's the 5200.

I agree, the 7800 controllers also suck. :)

..Al

I must be in the minority for never having problems with the shape or functionality of 7800 controllers :P

why do i have to recognize that i'm outnumbered that i like the 5200 controllers? i could care less about what the majority says about the 5200 controllers just as much as i could care less that many people think the jaguar was a waste. i still enjoy them all (ataris) and i think that's the point. i know in this point in time, my rebuilt 5200 controllers have lasted over 2 years with not a problem.

most people that own luxury sport sedans around 30 grand buy the bmw 325i, audi a4, infiniti g35, volvo s40, or the lexus 250i. that's what outnumbers all cars in that price range. however, i drive a loaded subaru legacy. doesn't it matter that i'm outnumbered? not really. my car still kicks those cars on the xcross, 1/4, and 0-60 times, plus comes with awd and is the safest among the bunch, and still has all the bells and whistles....i'm off tangent and just trying to make an analogy, but i think you get the point....it's all a matter of preference.

You really take this way too personally.

I can find, and have found, a 20 year old 2600 controller that still works. Finding a 20 year old 5200 controller that still works is all but impossible. How many people have found 5200 consoles in the wild with a working controller???

And not everyone has Internet access, or knows everything we do.

I never said the 7800 controllers were an improvement. I said Atari did. They made changes for the 7800 controller, AFAIK, in direct response to the problems associated and experienced with the 5200 controllers. The players didn't like the controller, and Atari knew that and made changes. The fact their changes weren't that good is beside the point. I don't like the 7800 controller that much, either, and thanks to being able to use 2600 controllers and a 7800 joypad, I never use the 7800 sticks.

And why do you have to recognize that you're outnumbered in your opinion of the 5200 controllers? Well, because it's a fact. You could care less about it, but you still should be able to see it.

Edited by Brian R.

I wonder if the dead fish floppo original controllers are worth more than the self centering ones these days. :)

I remember being in Sears are trying PacMan on the 5200 with the original controllers. My friend was begging I get a 5200 since he had the Colecovision. After trying PacMan (why doesn't he TTTTUUURRRNNN!!!), I think I RAN and grabbed a Colecovision. Besides, Venture and Looping are still classics to me.

I really don't understand how people can say the 5200 controllers are bad and then turn around and say that the Colecovision's default controllers were even remotely usable.

And why is it always Pac-Man as an example of why the 5200 controllers are bad? I never had Pac-Man for my 5200 back in the day, and it wasn't until 2002 when I bought myself a new 5200 that I got to play it with original controllers. Over the years, I had heard the stories and was almost afraid to see how the game controlled.

It's definitely a case of propaganda. I had no problem controlling Mr. Pac. In fact, the control was better than the arcade emulations.

In fact, the only games where I've found the controller a hindrance are Gorf, which everyone admits has a poorly thought out control scheme, and Donkey Kong, which was quickly adapted for the controller and never intended for it in the first place!

No. It's not the best controller, but there are much worse ones out there (the Colecovision and N64 controllers easily come to mind). As far as I'm concerned, the 5200 was the first victim of the "videogame press" senselessly bashing a console.