IGNORED

Indiana Jones Game

airforcejane

Hello everyone!

I'm brand new on AtariAge Forums. This is my first post! Yea! I have a stupid question about the game Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. I just got an Atari 2600 and I love it! I've never had an Atari before, nor have I ever played one. Actually, I'd never seen one in real life before. Every time I try to play Indiana Jones all it does is play the song over and over and the game never actually begins. I've tested the Atari and all my joysticks/paddles numerous times and they appear to be in perfect working order when used with other games. I did have some problems with the paddles and their infamous "jiggling", but I looked on here and fixed them ^_^. I've tried restarting the game, pushing the button, moving the joystick, restarting the system... I just can't get it to work. What am I doing wrong? Also, I have two more questions. Are there other ways to fix the paddles other than using alcohol? Finally, in your opinion, what is the "Holy Grail" of all Atari 2600 games?

Edited by airforcejane

In Raiders, you move with the right joystick (player 2), look up the manual here on the site if you need more help.

Alcohol or some electrical contact cleaner are the best ways to fix paddles, DON'T USE WD-40.

It is hard for me to define a "Holy Grail", I am much more of a player than a collector, but I would say "Pepsi Invaders".

EDIT:

Here is the manual for Raiders.

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.h...wareLabelID=394

Edited by elliott

Ahhh I never really liked ole Indy's game...I thought it was kinda boring. When I first played it as a kid...I was confused as hell....I was like "This game sucks ass" and then slapped in Berzerk and blew off my steam on the robots :x

Holy Grail wise...almost anything to me is holy. I would like to have the entire Activision collection CIB with the boxes in NM to Mint condition. Maybe a copy of Pressure Cooker signed by Garry Kitchen :D If I did come across a copy of Quadrun or either of Wizard's game in the wild...I would snatch em up without a second thought. Thats all fantasy though. Something like that happens to 1 outta 1000 atari fans in a lifetime probably.

I like Indy, it's far more fun tha Adventure IMO, but it is a LOT harder too. Or at least, it's harder to figure out innitially. Having a permanant weapon (assuming it doesnt get stolen, or you drop it accidentally) probably makes it easier in relation.

Just use the right stick, you can press fire when he gets to the bottome, and it will replay the drop scene again, and when you press fire at the bottome this time, you get dropped in a scene with a rock, a stick looking thing (the whip) and a snake slithering down.

It's a fun game IMO, but it's a bitch to figure out without help, or a guide book to tell what all the crap does.

I'm another one that likes RotLA. Fun, very challenging, with some Salavdor Dali weirdness thrown in for good measure.

As to a Holy Grail. Dunno. It used to be Waterworld (always wanted it as a kid), but that wasn't too hard to find. Rescue Terra I or River Patrol would be nice to find, though certainly not the rarest. I seldom have a 'one pick' or 'favorite' game. I like lots of stuff depending on my mood.

Oh, and welcome to the boards.

Edited by Lord Thag

I never understood why some people didn't like Indy. To me it was a natural evolution from Adventure, although losing some of the random aspects in the process. That's also why I think E.T. has some redeeming value, since it shares some similarities to Indy. I think Atari had a good thing going for a while. Atari could have made better use of the Adventure and Indy engines than they did.