IGNORED

7800 Pac-Man collection here!

PacManPlus

With all this talk about the 'collection', I am pretty far along with making one. I started with 32K, and basically started from scratch re-coding everything.

As long as my vision works out (and so far it is), here is what this cart will include:

- Ms. Pac-Man

- Ms. Pac-Attack

- Pac-Man

- Puck-Man

- Hangly-Man

- Ultra Pac-Man

- Random Mazes

Then there will be an 'Options' section:

- 'Plus' Mode

- Fast Mode

- Number of lives

- Starting Level

- Players

I have also changed the graphics for the monsters (again) ;) BTW, I like the monsters' eyes better now...

If this works how I am envisioning, you will be able to play the 'Plus' version for each game listed as well as the 'fast' version!

The two issues that are bugging me at the moment are 1) How to get the 'missing row' back in the game (I tried it, I just couldn't figure it out), and 2) How to slow the player down(only slightly!) when eating dots (another thing I tried multiple times, and couldn't get working). Either the speed wouldn't change, or the player would be too slow. This may be why GCC abandoned this idea. :(

Also, I have coded that little 'glitch' that turns the Ms. Pac-Man & Attack maze blue instead of red... once in a blue moon - just like the arcade game :D (I know there is a reason for it in the Arcade Game... something about the palette not changing in time after you put a quarter in... But for obvious reasons I just made it a 1 in 255 chance of happening instead).

post-1787-1161183984_thumb.jpg

post-1787-1161186931_thumb.jpg

Edited by PacManPlus

So how big is this puppy going to be? 124K? Where's Super and Baby? (Just kidding.) :)

Allan

Actually I recently finished the menu (pictured in the first post). I still have about 4K of the 32K available (did a *lot* of sharing of code / data).

The reason I did this was to (hopefully) become more familiar with the workings of the 7800 so I *could* write Super and Jr. But I'm still having an issue with these damn display lists: I can't seem to get my head around it. I think I understand all the other aspects of the 7800 except that. It's driving me crazy. It's preventing me from adding the 'missing row' I spoke about earlier.

I basically only have little things left: Making the maze disappear in plus & hangly, the (not) turning blue of one of the monsters in plus, the top/bottom wrap around in Hangly, etc. I'll be searching my old notes to see how I did it in the stand-alone carts. :)

Bob

Actually I recently finished the menu (pictured in the first post). I still have about 4K of the 32K available (did a *lot* of sharing of code / data).

The reason I did this was to (hopefully) become more familiar with the workings of the 7800 so I *could* write Super and Jr. But I'm still having an issue with these damn display lists: I can't seem to get my head around it. I think I understand all the other aspects of the 7800 except that. It's driving me crazy. It's preventing me from adding the 'missing row' I spoke about earlier.

I basically only have little things left: Making the maze disappear in plus & hangly, the (not) turning blue of one of the monsters in plus, the top/bottom wrap around in Hangly, etc. I'll be searching my old notes to see how I did it in the stand-alone carts. :)

Bob

You got a PM. Hmm the game works very different from what I have done in beefdrop and b*nQ. It only has two buffers to hold the displaylists for the game board part of the screen (each row is 6 pixels tall and there are 30 of them) vs one for every row on the screen. It dynamally updates a displaylistlist in a DLI in the row before and switches between the two. Nice way to save RAM I guess since it only needs 1/15th* the RAM would normally be needed.

* assuming for every dlist you have preallocated the amount necessary to handle the maximum number of objects on the line.

Edited by kenfused

I had an idea but I dont know if this can work, with the new label art I was wondering of you or some one can take the front art of the label art I did and using a 7800 graphic converter to turn it into a front title screen with the old Pac-Man song playing in the background?? Think that can be pulled off? :ponder:

IT could be done but I think it owuld end up pushing the size above 32k though.

I had an idea but I dont know if this can work, with the new label art I was wondering of you or some one can take the front art of the label art I did and using a 7800 graphic converter to turn it into a front title screen with the old Pac-Man song playing in the background?? Think that can be pulled off? :ponder:

What if I down grade the image in let colors? I have the beta art of flat colors of Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man plus the back dop with no beam of lights just a reagler blus maze^_^

What if I down grade the image in let colors? I have the beta art of flat colors of Pac-Man and Ms Pac-Man plus the back dop with no beam of lights just a reagler blus maze^_^

Still won't matter cause it would be 16 colors at the most anyhow with using the grx tool (I'm pretty sure it's 16 max) and then the size of the sound file would be around 1 to 2k if you get the whole gingle going. But then again Bob is about 100 fold better at this stuff than I so he might be able to do it, I was just throwing out what I personally know, anything is possible I guess.

Well I did it I took my old Pac-Man art work and made many diffent version for the 7800 label covers

(NOTE that I did not added the name,company,date and copyright on the bottom of the label cuase PacManPlus may add them by him self)

Label-A: Black 7800 logo & texts in gray background.

Label-B: Red 7800 logo & Black texts in gray background.

Label-C: Red 7800 logo & Black Atari test in gray background with the SUPER GAME CARTRIDGE sticker.

Label-FULL: Full Pac-Man label art fills the label cover.

End-A: Black Title Name & logo text in gray background.

End-B: Red Title Name with Black logo test in gray background.

End-C: White Title & logo text in Red background.

End-FULL: White Title & logo text in label art background.

post-5587-1161307563_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307579_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307590_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307605_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307612_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307617_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307624_thumb.jpg

post-5587-1161307631_thumb.jpg

3rd front label, 2nd end label. But change the word super to Multi ;)

Once agian and as always, they look fantastic atariboy2600!!

One Multi text coming up :D

Excellent work! I think I'm going with the full blue background... As I said to Atariboy2600 in a PM, it's different enough, but still has the same elements from the original cart. :)

Thanks guys for the compliments, and I will be posting a binary soon!

Bob