IGNORED

eBay shipping: how much is too much?

LS650

We pay eBay enough money. I am not going to have them take even MORE money LOSING money on shipping just to appease you, AND give them a better Final Value Fee AND insertion fee. Why do you THINK eBay is cracking down on this? They don't base their fees off of our shipping.

If I was charging too much money, then you can say anything, but unless you sell as much as we do, or even BUY a great deal on eBay, you have no basis for complaining. Answer is simple, don't buy from that person and move on to the next one.

I have to agree with DreamTR on this. If you don't like the price, then don't buy the item. The seller usually lists the shipping & handling charges, but if they don't it is your responsibility to ask before bidding. I am mostly a buyer and I understand the sellers position. When I do sell, I set my S&H to what I feel is appropriate. It includes my materials, my time, the postage etc.

And I will remind you, most auctions charge the BUYER a premium based on the sale price, not the SELLER. If eBay passed the final value prices on to the buyer, would you complain to eBay?

Exactomundo. Ebay was not intended to be a full-time job for people who can't or won't get one. It's an online garage sale to get rid of crap and make a few bucks. Many sellers see ebay as an opportunity to make this huge profit off stuff they'd just as soon throw out, and use devious methods to trick buyers into paying more than they realize. Unfortunately, the bottom line is 99% of buyers aren't out to scam or rip anyone off, while 50% or more of sellers are wiling to go to any extreme to make up thier precious $2.76 in listing fees by charging $8.00 extra in shipping charges.

Whatever. I dont even respond to some of the ramblings here. I just laugh when those same people whine that thier items aren't selling, and it's all Ebay's fault. Some only post here to advertise thier auctions, then you dont hear from them ever again. Works for me!

No response to "Ramblings" or is it the fact that you dont have a legitimate response makes you feel the need to call them "ramblings"? I'm here almost daily and I sell things rarely and I just bought a few things from AA members and Im having some work done by one member too so if you have something to say say it. Ive traded with people who are fair and not with the ones who arent. Your answer & arguement is "whatever" to any topic. Ebay is far from an online garage sale yet thats exactly the mentality that has you and others unwilling to see any side of it than the buyers. Its your personal, lazy ass mans, garage sale? Ok, thats why ebay treats all sellers as if they were Power Sellers on the fees end and gives them lil if no support. You again are saying every seller charges $8 to ship a $2 package now, is that it? It must be right because you said it was. I hope Ebay prices themselves out of the classic video game market so lazy bitches cant find a game they want without getting off their lazy ass. You may have been here longer than me but it doesnt make you right and it certainly doesnt make you more of a collector. The real collecor gets off his ass and doesnt wait for some guy to find him a game only to bitch he paid $2 more than it actually cost to ship. He finds it himself which is very time consuming and isnt for the lazy. Go back play with your barbies.

jetset wrote:

"To complain about this now after you have a choice of what to do in the matter is probably the stupidest thing I have ever seen. "Selling on eBay full-time is for those that don't want to get a job, or can't find one", that's the biggest load of crap I've ever read.

I don't even sell full-time and I am offended by it because you are just attacking someone's profession. By your point, ANYONE that buys and sells ANYTHING falls in this category, because eBay is essentially a medium utilized for people to do this. Nice.

I agree and the time spent on even a part-time operation is long hours especially with used stuff. I will say that all Ebayers are cheap MO- FO's, lol, me included when Ive bought there. Im done with this topic, Ive said whats needed to be said, you all know I hate Ebay, I hate Ebay Buyers more than Sellers LOL, I hate Paypal and i hate Lazy people and I've listed the whys. If that makes me wrong, I dont want to be right. LOL Ciao :D

Edited by Phantom

You think me selling a game for $5 is fleecing according to your words.

*Sigh* You're doing it again...

Csly: Do you sell on eBay?

Yes, I have sold things on ebay.

I've been a Powerseller for awhile, and they don't make it easy to make a buck on certain items.
Again--why are you attempting to sell items that you can't make an honest profit on?

The 4th grade reading skills wont get you no where.
You're right; I should've used my 5th grade reading skills.

Ive bought and Ive sold on there and i would never do it again because of the whining bitch chicks like yourself.
I'm relieved to hear that.

Whatever. I dont even respond to some of the ramblings here. I just laugh when those same people whine that thier items aren't selling, and it's all Ebay's fault.
I'm going to follow your example. :) Edited by Christophero Sly

I've read all these with a l ot of interest becasue I buy and sell on Ebay.

I look at it like this

If I know the cost for shipping upfront then how can I be ripped off?

why should I care what shipping is at all EXCEPT to be used to determine what I am willing to bid?

I take the cost of shipping and deduct it from the max I would

be willing to pay and that's my max bid. Hence if I win I only pay what I am willing to pay

How can I ever get ripped off like that.

If the shipping is more than you want to pay then DON'T BID!

It's pretty simple and I have never had a time when I felt I paid "too much" for shipping

I have had times when I felt I paid too much but that was my fault for determining the max I was willing to pay

I also hate Ebay but am glad they are around as I have been able to make money there and

picked up some things I could not have gotten anywhere around here. (carts and other things)

You have to learn to live with the devil :x

Man what a bunch of stupidity on this thread.

If you do a search of completed items on Ebay you will see something interesting.

All of the ending prices are VERY CLOSE when you add the shipping and item selling price.

This should show you something. No matter what sellers charge for shipping the items will still sell for only so much.

So if all selllers lower their shipping fees then they will just raise their selling fees or people will bid more for the item.

It's simple basic supply/demand and the simple truth that the market will always stabilize itself.

So quit complaining and add the selling price and the shipping price and get your total and decide if you want it for that price. :roll:

Hear him, Hear

The END (TOTAL) price you pay is ALL that matters to you (or should be)

that, minus the shipping should be you max bid. that way shipping is NEVER too much.

As far as screwing Ebay; who really gives a rat's petute :rolling:

as I ain't the po'lece for them. they make enough to

look after that themselves

All I am concerned about is what the total is I am willing to pay for the item

(shipping plus bid amount)

If you do it that way then you don't need to get into all the whining going on about how high should shipping be,

who is screwing ebay out of a couple of pennies or did I pay to much for shipping on that item etc.

you can use that energy for something else more productve

as far as the ones telling other people how to live their life; :yawn: :yawn: you probably are in need of someone helping

you with yours :rolling: :rolling:

be willing to pay and that's my max bid. Hence if I win I only pay what I am willing to pay

Exactly. That sums up the entire post. Don't bid on something more then you're willing to pay for it (including shipping). But just to justify making $1-2 from shipping, here's what some buyers dont see happen before they get the game:

Sellers have to:

1. take pictures and fill in descriptions to list items
  2. buy supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, bubble envelopes, paper for the printer, etc)
  3. organize who bought what, who's paid, who hasnt, where stuff goes, get quotes for people who buy multiple items or are international buyers
  4. putting item(s) in a box, padding it, printing off label, taping up box and putting on labels
  5. taking time to run to the post office and ship items
  6. leave feedback if given, but usually i try and do feedback for everyone once every two weeks for all my previous transactions instead of one by one

then get a buck or two if not more taken out for ebay listing/final selling price and paypal fees out of their pocket, not the buyers.

Buyers put in a bid, click pay now with paypal and voila, game at your doorstep in a few days. If sellers are lucky the buyer might even take the time to leave you feedback.

Exactly. That sums up the entire post. Don't bid on something more then you're willing to pay for it (including shipping). But just to justify making $1-2 from shipping, here's what some buyers dont see happen before they get the game:

Sellers have to:

2. buy supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, bubble envelopes, paper for the printer, etc)
  3. organize who bought what, who's paid, who hasnt, where stuff goes, get quotes for people who buy multiple items or are international buyers
  4. putting item(s) in a box, padding it, printing off label, taping up box and putting on labels
  6. leave feedback if given, but usually i try and do feedback for everyone once every two weeks for all my previous transactions instead of one by one

then get a buck or two if not more taken out for ebay listing/final selling price and paypal fees out of their pocket, not the buyers.

Buyers put in a bid, click pay now with paypal and voila, game at your doorstep in a few days. If sellers are lucky the buyer might even take the time to leave you feedback.

At the same time, buyers gotta work to pay the seller. Money doesn't grow on trees.

My main concern is my time being wasted by all the sellers who don't properly list shipping to Canada. It says the US shipping price all the time and then you gotta click every damn listing.

Sellers have to:

You must be a seller. Keep in mind....

[*]take pictures and fill in descriptions to list items

Costs you nothing as a seller.

[*]buy supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, bubble envelopes, paper for the printer, etc)

An actual expense, one that ebay allows sellers to charge thier buyers a reasonable amount for.

[*]organize who bought what, who's paid, who hasnt, where stuff goes, get quotes for people who buy multiple items or are international buyer.

Costs you nothing as a seller

[*]putting item(s) in a box, padding it, printing off label, taping up box and putting on labels

[*]taking time to run to the post office and ship items

[*]leave feedback if given

HIGHLY, HIGHLY suspicious to a buyer. There's absolutely NO reason for you to not leave feedback once you've gotten a buyers payment. True, there's that one in a million chance a seller will leave you an undeserved negative, but it pales in comparison to the risk buyers take in the honor system of ebay where the seller has protection but the buyer has very little. Withholding feedback as a bargaining chip is one of the more unethical practices on ebay.

Don't bid on something more then you're willing to pay for it (including shipping).

Again...sounds like a sellers perspective. Why sellers think they are truly disclosing the shipping cost when they state an amount for shipping, but are really charging double or more just to pad thier wallet is beyond comprehension. If the shiping CHARGE/FEE is $10.00, but it only cost $5.00, you are ABSOLUTELY NOT in any way shape or form telling the truth. Most buyers do not realize the scam until they've received thier item (see first post in this thread!) If you aren't told before hand how can you possibly know as a buyer how much you are being (over)charged? and, if you know beforehand you ARE being scammed and are stupid enough to bid anyway using the "gee, even with the shipping scam it's still a bargain" then please...send me a check for $10,000.00 - I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :roll:

Like they say a fool and his money are soon parted. I'll take yours gladly.

Sellers have to:

You must be a seller. Keep in mind....

[*]take pictures and fill in descriptions to list items

[*]buy supplies (boxes, tape, bubble wrap, bubble envelopes, paper for the printer, etc)

An actual expense, one that ebay allows sellers to charge thier buyers a reasonable amount for.

[*]organize who bought what, who's paid, who hasnt, where stuff goes, get quotes for people who buy multiple items or are international buyer.

Costs you nothing as a seller

[*]putting item(s) in a box, padding it, printing off label, taping up box and putting on labels

[*]taking time to run to the post office and ship items

[*]leave feedback if given

HIGHLY, HIGHLY suspicious to a buyer. There's absolutely NO reason for you to not leave feedback once you've gotten a buyers payment. True, there's that one in a million chance a seller will leave you an undeserved negative, but it pales in comparison to the risk buyers take in the honor system of ebay where the seller has protection but the buyer has very little. Withholding feedback as a bargaining chip is one of the more unethical practices on ebay.

Don't bid on something more then you're willing to pay for it (including shipping).

Again...sounds like a sellers perspective. Why sellers think they are truly disclosing the shipping cost when they state an amount for shipping, but are really charging double or more just to pad thier wallet is beyond comprehension. If the shiping CHARGE/FEE is $10.00, but it only cost $5.00, you are ABSOLUTELY NOT in any way shape or form telling the truth. Most buyers do not realize the scam until they've received thier item (see first post in this thread!) If you aren't told before hand how can you possibly know as a buyer how much you are being (over)charged? and, if you know beforehand you ARE being scammed and are stupid enough to bid anyway using the "gee, even with the shipping scam it's still a bargain" then please...send me a check for $10,000.00 - I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. :roll:

Like they say a fool and his money are soon parted. I'll take yours gladly.

If its still a good bargain, then how is that dumb and how is someone being scammed? That makes absolutely no sense but rarely do you. You want something for nothing, plain and simple.

Finally some others stated the OBVIOUS point, Include all costs in your willing to pay price and you'll never overbid.

But Jetset>

Obvioulsy your time is worth nothing, nor your gas or anything as far as your concerned, and did Scott even mention the time to locate games or gas for that at $3 a gallon mind you. so do me a favor Jetset, come over to my house for a week (you paying your own transportation of course), clean it, test all my electronics to make sure they are working proper and i'll even pay you 2$ an hour which actually exceeds any profit from youd make on HOMOBAY , and then I'll tell your wife what a good lil helper you are and there you have your feedback. Atleast you got your feedback! I mean, your time is worthless right? So come on over and have some fun! I even promise not to bitch or complain for paying you. Have a good 1! Thank you, Come again.

Edited by Phantom

Someone made the comment that as a buyer, the only thing we should care about is the final price. I disagree.

Only caring about the final price is not a good spending habit. You buy three things: the Item, the shipping cost, and the Seller's service. One should be able to compare each cost. If I pay a lot for shipping, then I'm expecting high quality shipping. If I pay a lot for Handling, then I should be able to expect high quality Handling. I should be able to know beforehand.

For Sellers on ebay: I know the price of the item, I want to know how much shipping will cost. The Seller tells me the "shipping" but what he is really telling me is "Shipping + Handling + Packaging + MyFee".

As Buyers, we are asking the wrong questions. If it will bug us when we are overcharged for shipping then what we should be asking is: "How much are the actual shipping costs and what other charges and fees are included in the total shipping and handling cost?"

It is deceptive to charge a lot for shipping and then ship it poorly packaged or slowly. If any Seller thinks otherwise then they are also deceiving themselves.

Without patting myself too much on the back, I am one of the most honest and accommodating sellers around and I do not leave feedback first. Simply because of the small amount of eBay terrorists out there. :roll:

I don't know from eBay terrorists, and I don't sell a lot, but me neither. I want to make sure the buyer's happy - until then, the deal's not done - how can you leave feedback?

Without patting myself too much on the back, I am one of the most honest and accommodating sellers around and I do not leave feedback first. Simply because of the small amount of eBay terrorists out there. :roll:

II want to make sure the buyer's happy - until then, the deal's not done - how can you leave feedback?

Common courtesy is how.

I haven't sold much on Ebay either but the few dozen or so times I did I left feedback when I got money from the buyer.

I made sure they were happy by;

1)Sending the item they paid for within a reasonable timeframe

2)Not ripping them off in any way (see; shipping scams)

3)Leaving positive feedback (optional, but appropriate)

Naturally you can interchange the order.

II want to make sure the buyer's happy - until then, the deal's not done - how can you leave feedback?

Common courtesy is how.

I haven't sold much on Ebay either but the few dozen or so times I did I left feedback when I got money from the buyer.

You really need to sell a lot of stuff before you can make statements like that, you obviously only see the insane sellers, but you don't see the retards called "buyers" that are out there.

Here is a good example (I had that feedback removed), some dumb bimbo bought a 5200 joystick flex-circuit from me, then leaves me a neutral feedback: "Good seller, unfortunately this didn't fix my joystick!". I just thought "Are you fucking insane, bitch, I shipped the same day via Priority, well packaged? It ain't my fault you are a friggin imbecile." and had eBay remove the feedback. :x

Here is a good example (I had that feedback removed), some dumb bimbo bought a 5200 joystick flex-circuit from me, then leaves me a neutral feedback: "Good seller, unfortunately this didn't fix my joystick!". I just thought "Are you fucking insane, bitch, I shipped the same day via Priority, well packaged? It ain't my fault you are a friggin imbecile." and had eBay remove the feedback. :x

"had ebay remove the feedback." ???

Not a comment about you CPUWIZ, but what's the point of feedback if one can just have it removed?

I used to be very diligent about giving feedback until I left it a few times and the seller didn't see fit to return the favor of opting to do so. After a few conversations with some sellers (who acted as though it was only natural for the seller to give feedback last, or not at all) I've opted out of leaving positive feedback. Of course, doesn't seem to be any point of leaving negative feedback either, since a seller can just have it taken off.

"had ebay remove the feedback." ???

Not a comment about you CPUWIZ, but what's the point of feedback if one can just have it removed?

I used to be very diligent about giving feedback until I left it a few times and the seller didn't see fit to return the favor of opting to do so. After a few conversations with some sellers (who acted as though it was only natural for the seller to give feedback last, or not at all) I've opted out of leaving positive feedback. Of course, doesn't seem to be any point of leaving negative feedback either, since a seller can just have it taken off.

Both parties have to agree to have the feedback removed, there are two different ways to do it.

Common courtesy is how.

You really need to sell a lot of stuff before you can make statements like that, you obviously only see the insane sellers, but you don't see the retards called "buyers" that are out there.

Honestly though...out of how many hundreds of sellers did one or two do that to you? And you said you had the feedback removed by ebay, so in the end you were unaffected right?

Common courtesy is how.

Honestly though...out of how many hundreds of sellers did one or two do that to you? And you said you had the feedback removed by ebay, so in the end you were unaffected right?

You mean buyers.

I used to get idiots all the time, one of the reason why I mostly stopped selling on eBay. Because of my good service, I've lost quite a bit of money, due to idiots like that bitch. I even include a friendly flyer with all my auctions, to contact me before leaving bad feedback, because I am the kind of person who will just give you your money back and half the time don't even care if they send back the item or not.

Someone made the comment that as a buyer, the only thing we should care about is the final price. I disagree.

Only caring about the final price is not a good spending habit. You buy three things: the Item, the shipping cost, and the Seller's service. One should be able to compare each cost. If I pay a lot for shipping, then I'm expecting high quality shipping. If I pay a lot for Handling, then I should be able to expect high quality Handling. I should be able to know beforehand.

For Sellers on ebay: I know the price of the item, I want to know how much shipping will cost. The Seller tells me the "shipping" but what he is really telling me is "Shipping + Handling + Packaging + MyFee".

As Buyers, we are asking the wrong questions. If it will bug us when we are overcharged for shipping then what we should be asking is: "How much are the actual shipping costs and what other charges and fees are included in the total shipping and handling cost?"

It is deceptive to charge a lot for shipping and then ship it poorly packaged or slowly. If any Seller thinks otherwise then they are also deceiving themselves.

Sellers service? Ebay Buyers care about that? Since when? When I sold I made sure everything was minty as I could, desribed things well and shipped proper and fast. What I got for that was a headache from complainers that bought a 10$ game mint for .99-2$ and paid 4$ for shipping most of the time and theyd complain it cost me 1.83 to send it. Besides wasting my time, I lost $ often and when i got feedback, it was great but as a whole , it was a headache. i had ads taken down by Ebay for saying to check back weekly for more rare games in my ads and this was against their idiotic policy. Selling a game properly is not profitable in most cases because of the time you must put in to do it right from a collecting standpoint and the complainers that bitch about a few dollars in shipping when they got a deal any way you slice it, well thats the reason good sellers are becoming fewer and fewer. Heck 2 of the first 5 things i bought on Ebay had NO packing materials. NONE! One was broken and one wasnt but the point is thats what you get when you drive good sellers away. Im sure you know a few horrendous sellers, games that look like they been in a blender with torn labels and dirty as all hell but the pics were ok or hard to judge and strategically out of focus. I still see them out there and one of em even advertises that he ships the cheapest, like 2.53 or some shit, goodluck with anything you buy from him.So you get what you ask for, keep driving good sellers away for false assumptions of shipping scams. Are there any, sure there are, but then why would you buy from that person anyhow? I hope you all go tell ebay about any shipping you deem unfair, maybe you can get rid of the last few good sellers left in the process and then youd all have to spend your gas and time finding these things yourselves insead of sitting in a chair and eating cookies whilst you place your .99 bids for 10$ or more items that are HTF. Well atleast you can still buy the games that "Should work" or "have no reason to think they wouldnt work" and are as-is. Goodluck with them :roll:

I used to get idiots all the time, one of the reason why I mostly stopped selling on eBay. Because of my good service, I've lost quite a bit of money, due to idiots like that bitch. I even include a friendly flyer with all my auctions, to contact me before leaving bad feedback, because I am the kind of person who will just give you your money back and half the time don't even care if they send back the item or not.

Exactly, Good service will only kill profits and when something cant be done right, its not worth doing but I do commend you CPU, your store is one of the best on Ebay and the service is apparent in every ad Ive seen.

PS> I had 2 negatives in about 800 sales and they were both way after the fact and one nimrod bought an intvII without a plug for 20$ with 20 boxed games, I thought it went too cheap anyhow but I even gave the guy the link to where he could pick up a new adapter for 20$. He stated that it was high and I didnt hear from him again until 3 months later, you wake up one day and these idiots just leave a negative because their lazy or in a bad mood but I tested that and it worked great. I used my adapter from my boxed INTV II and evrything about it worked great but Im sure this idiot didnt even buy an adapter and i would have gladly taken it back if he contacted me but some people are just assholes.

Only caring about the final price is not a good spending habit. You buy three things: the Item, the shipping cost, and the Seller's service.

Sellers service? Ebay Buyers care about that? Since when?

I'm saying that I recognize there are extra expenses (mostly involving time) that a seller incurs outside of shipping. I bought a couple of INTV carts (boxed) for about .50 each and I think I paid 8 bucks for shipping/handling/etc. I'll admit I thought that was too much, initially, but the sellers had tested and cleaned the carts and also guaranteed that they would work. They were also packaged well and sent promptly. The actual shipping costs were about $2.00. In their description the sellers even say that their charge for shipping and handling would be more than the amount it would cost to ship the item because of the effort they put in to cleaning and testing as well as their guarantee. The fact that they spelled this out up front and actually described what they had done (cleaning/testing) did a lot for me accepting the fact that they were charging 4x actual shipping costs.

So, yeah, I care about service and I don't mind paying a little extra for handling, especially if there's signs of actual handling.

I don't like it when I ask what shipping will cost and I'm told an amount that is more than what it actually costs. I think I'm just asking the wrong question and need to be more specific like I mentioned earlier.