IGNORED

7800 Cartridge worth $1800 USD?

Shroo-man

I'm kind of a newbie to the whole rare cartridge thing but I never heard of an Atari 7800 cartridge to be worth so much! I mean I know that some Atari 2600 games like Air Raid can be worth up to $3500 but not a 7800 cartridge.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ATARI-7800-DIAGNOST...1QQcmdZViewItem

is this diagnostic cart really worth $1800? Or is the seller just trying to gip someone?

Edited by Shroo-man

Yea...its in the top three rarest for 7800 but damn...some people just expect TOO much. Me...i wouldn't pay more than 50 bucks for any game- rare or not. I just dont make enough to go blow 2,000 on one game. plus, my girlfriend would murder me...seriously...i'm talkin' bout 'knife to the throat and gun in the mouth' kill me :D

on a similar note...a saw a sealed copy of the original Mario Bros. for the NES on Ebay about a month or two ago. dude was asking for at least 1,500 dollas. He was gettin flak on his messages and comments so i guess he took it off or secretly sold it lol lol i was like damn...1500 for mario bros., i'm gettin it...lollol lol

I'm kind of a newbie to the whole rare cartridge thing but I never heard of an Atari 7800 cartridge to be worth so much! I mean I know that some Atari 2600 games like Air Raid can be worth up to $3500 but not a 7800 cartridge.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ATARI-7800-DIAGNOST...1QQcmdZViewItem

is this diagnostic cart really worth $1800? Or is the seller just trying to gip someone?

Anybody can slap whatever minimum bid they want on an ebay auction. It's only when someone actually bids that it matters. In this case, he's obviously fishing for someone very stupid. Hopefully ebay will eventually hit him with enough listing fees to give him a clue. But since someone in this thread instantly knew who it was, I suspect we have a strongly clue resistant person here.

My philosophy is that anything is only worth what two people on ebay are willing to pay for it.

My philosophy is that anything is only worth what two people on ebay are willing to pay for it.

Good point; one person to set a high (but unreached) bid and the second to actually get it up there (either through out bidding the other or the other's proxy bid to kick in).

Though, that's only true if the starting bid is zero. If the starting bid is high, he just needs one nut to find him.

Hopefully ebay will eventually hit him with enough listing fees to give him a clue. But since someone in this thread instantly knew who it was, I suspect we have a strongly clue resistant person here.

I do not think so. He has a store so listing fees are only 10 cents to list that item. That makes him very resistent to change. I thought they had just raised fees for stores.

Ebay store fees

Edited by Almost Rice

Even with the box and everything, the rarest 7800 game probably isn't worth over $200. Isn't the rarest box Title Match? I've heard of that box hitting a couple hundred before on rare occasions.

What's the Tank Command box worth?

not a whole lot...but i still wouldnt pay it...cartridge looks perfect though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-Atari-7800-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Look who it's coming from :ponder:

He grossly overcharges for everything on the 7800 - I wonder if he actually gets any sales...

Those carts have been listed for about two years. No one is biting..............

Nfarj has feedback from buyers to indicate that he has had a small number of sales in the past few months, but of the closed auctions that I was still able to pull up it looks like he was only able to move some cheap stuff, none of his big-ticket items have sold.

This Nfarj guy is a classic example of why ebay store suck. With .05 cent insertion fees (for a 30 day listing), these guys have no incentive to price items reasonably. As was previously mentioned, these sellers will wait for eternity hoping an uninformed newbie sucker will come along and snap up a BIN. Of course, not all ebay stores are as bad as Nfarj, but the overwhelming majority of them are priced significantly higher than similar auction-style listings.

Frankly, I think having an ebay store can impact a seller negatively. Since so many of the ebay stores suck, I have grown to largely ignore most of them. And when certain sellers like Nfarj become quite familiar and nauseating, I disregard their offerings completely. Surely, I am not the only potential buyer who reacts in this way.

Nfarj has a clue, even if ebay doesn't. He bought this recently from our very own Shawn Sr.

Atari 7800 Pit-Fighter

If Nfarj is a collector or game player then he knows how much his 7800 stuff is really worth.

Matt A.

For those who don't know my own nfarj story, I placed an opening bid on a boxed and sealed Sentinel he had put a $70 BIN on, and was winning the auction at $1 with about 3 hours to go, when he somehow managed to cancel the auction (claimed it was damaged or lost I suppose and eBay bought it) and yet within two days he had relisted it as a fixed price auction for his original BIN - take it or leave it. The sad part is had the auction run to the end I would have spiked it for $20-$30 to take it, even though it would be unplayable on an NTSC system, but I ended up getting an NTSC conversion from an AA user for $35 anyway - CIB no less. Needless to say I think nfarj is scum and every time one of these threads comes up I'm proven right yet again.

• 2 months later...

Just for the record, someone I've dealth with on here is selling an R9 2600 cartridge for $40. I dunno, maybe I misread the title on that cart. The particular game isn't very popular, but it's one of thos titles that's actually fun if you spend the time to learn that second stage (hint hint).

If that single ender cart (oops I just gave it away) is only worht $40 to someone, I can't imagine this diganostic cart is worth much more.

• 6 months later...

I've said this before and I'll say it again; stuff is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.

Not that I'm defending the seller, but the bottom line is that it is their item and it's completely with-in their right to charge whatever the hell they want for it. If one doesn't like the price, they don't have to buy it. The fact that you can get one else where cheaper doesn't matter in the slightest. It's called free-market. As a matter of fact, the fact that you can get them cheaper else where only helps to support his position to charge an outrageous price without any legal/moral concerns by the shear fact that free market competition exists. It's not as if he has the only units for sale on the face of the earth and is price gouging.

I'm not even gonna click that link and I know its Nfarj. :lol:

Yep. $1,800 is crazy money for a diagnostic cart. But all he needs is one crazy person to come along and snap up the BIN. :D

..Al

Thats it exactly!there will always be some flake that will pay the ridiculous prices,the sellers KNOW THAT,thats what keeps em goin,its just a matter of time,and thats what keeps the prices high.But i geuss we've all paid pretty high prices at one time or another,but $1800 for a diag cart,and $5100 for a so-called sealed heavy 6 vcs?..that IS CRAZY,i hope whoever bought it,really got a heavy 6!

Edited by Rik

• 1 month later...