IGNORED

Atari, AtariAge, AtariMuseum, AtariProtos @ VGXPO!

Albert

vgxpo_atari.jpgAtari, Inc. has teamed up with AtariAge, AtariMuseum.com, and AtariProtos.com to bring an Atari-sponsored classic gaming booth to the VGXPO taking place on October 27-29th at the Valley Forge Convention Center near Philadelphia. At this booth you'll be able to meet and talk with Atari executives, including Chairman and Chief Creative Officer Bruno Bonnell, play and buy the latest Atari homebrew games, examine, play and learn about various prototype games, and learn more about Atari's rich past. Awesome Arcades will also be onhand with several of their new arcade cabinets that you can try firsthand.

In addition, you'll be able to sign up to win one of 100 Atari Flashback 2 game consoles being given away! Just stop by our booth to fill out an entry form and you might go home with a brand new Flashback 2, featuring 40 built-in Atari 2600 games in a retro-style Atari 2600 case.

Atari's involvement with this event signals their commitment to embrace the classic gaming community and we're excited to be working with them! To learn more about the upcoming VGXPO, please visit their website at http://www.vgxpo.com. See you there!

This is pretty interesting, and I'm surprised there aren't any comments yet.

This does seem to be a signal that maybe Atari is taking the retro community a little more seriously as a viable asset to their brand name and their future success, which I believe would be a significant and positive (change of) direction.

This does seem to be a signal that maybe Atari is taking the retro community a little more seriously as a viable asset to their brand name and their future success

Anything that they make of the calibur of the Flashback 2 I will buy if the make it available to me. I would sign a contract saying that if they wanted.:)

Edited by Atarifever

If anyone of you guys go, tell them I bought two FB2s - and would be more than happy to buy any more retro hardware of this quality and caliber!
... and bug them some more about FINALLY greenlighting the FB3! Please!!!

Seriously, though, this is good news. It's nice to see them reaching out to the classic gamers like this. Maybe if they have the chance to see the enthusiasm of the fans first-hand, they'll start doing more with their library of classic Atari properties.

This will be explained in far greater detail at VGXPO, but to give a quick insight...

Atari has been in lengthy meetings and conference calls with myself, and Albert to discuss a new strategic business model that Atari is moving forward with in a very intent and agressive manner. This new direction will change the entire face of Atari's entire presence and dealing with the classic gaming community, and most specifically a very important and new way of EMBRACING independant developers and homebrewers.

Look up Atari APX (Atari Program Exchange) and that will give you a round about idea of some of the new ways Atari wants to interact, work with and become a part of its fanbase.

Curt

This is pretty interesting, and I'm surprised there aren't any comments yet.

This does seem to be a signal that maybe Atari is taking the retro community a little more seriously as a viable asset to their brand name and their future success, which I believe would be a significant and positive (change of) direction.

This is huge. It is great to hear that Atari is teaming up with the classing gaming community, including Atari Age and homebrew developers.

My only complaint is the news of the booth at the vgXpo is coming only a week before the show. That makes it tough for those of us who don't live close to Philadelphia to make plans to take time off at work and get a hotel room on short notice. I was at the vgXpo last year and I attended the last two Phillyclassics as well. I'll see what I can do this year.

This criticism isn't really directed at anyone in particular. I realize that it probably took a while to work out this deal and it was annouced as soon as it was made.

new way of EMBRACING independant developers and homebrewers.

Uhh... I'll just settle for their support. I don't think I really want to be embraced by an Atari suit. Embracing just leads to kissing and eventually dry humping which we really don't need... :D

Tempest

Uhh... I'll just settle for their support. I don't think I really want to be embraced by an Atari suit. Embracing just leads to kissing and eventually dry humping which we really don't need... :D

Tempest

Can you blaim them with all those prototypes you have. :)

Allan

Tempest

Can you blaim them with all those prototypes you have. :)

Allan

heh, good point

This is huge. It is great to hear that Atari is teaming up with the classing gaming community, including Atari Age and homebrew developers.

My only complaint is the news of the booth at the vgXpo is coming only a week before the show. That makes it tough for those of us who don't live close to Philadelphia to make plans to take time off at work and get a hotel room on short notice. I was at the vgXpo last year and I attended the last two Phillyclassics as well. I'll see what I can do this year.

This criticism isn't really directed at anyone in particular. I realize that it probably took a while to work out this deal and it was annouced as soon as it was made.

I agree. I dont blame anyone but it would have been better if it was announced at least 2-3 weeks before the show. Dosen't really matter to me, I was going to go anyway, but I was worried for a bit that Atariage wouldnt go